Disconnecting The battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Disconnecting The battery

I'm toying with the idea of periodically removing my battery in order to give it a full charge with my trickle charger (live in a condo...no garage or electrical outlets available) because it sits for long periods of time (a week or more) between 130 mile Interstate trips.Anyone know what settings,if any,I would lose by disconnecting it for a few minutes before temporarily connecting another one I have.Transmission...music on hard drive....radio...etc,etc?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by listerone
I'm toying with the idea of periodically removing my battery in order to give it a full charge with my trickle charger (live in a condo...no garage or electrical outlets available) because it sits for long periods of time (a week or more) between 130 mile Interstate trips.Anyone know what settings,if any,I would lose by disconnecting it for a few minutes before temporarily connecting another one I have.Transmission...music on hard drive....radio...etc,etc?
If you leave the car parked for a month, you should not need to do anything if you have driven it 130 miles before parking it.

If you want to charge the battery and cannot do it while the battery is still connected at the car, you would need to synchronise windows and the sunroof. On a 212 I don't think you would need to sync the steering angle sensor any more (older models did need this).
Old 07-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
On my '00 Benz it also loses the seats memory settings with no battery. I don't know if this is the case with later models.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
If you leave the car parked for a month, you should not need to do anything if you have driven it 130 miles before parking it.
Hey,thanks for the info.The reason I think periodic charging might be wise is because a couple of weeks ago I drove to my sister's house (65 miles,highway speeds all the way) and immediately hooked up my charger there and it took almost 18 hours for the battery to become fully charged.That makes me suspect that the battery might have been noticeably discharged even after that 65 mile trip.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
. . . immediately hooked up my charger there and it took almost 18 hours for the battery to become fully charged.That makes me suspect that the battery might have been noticeably discharged even after that 65 mile trip.
You have a problem beyond normal battery function. Bad battery or charging system. Or . . . your "charger" lies.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by BenzMan369
On my '00 Benz it also loses the seats memory settings with no battery. I don't know if this is the case with later models.
That sounds like it's something that could be expected.If I go this route my fear is that I foul something up that's major....engine management,etc.For that matter I wouldn't even want to lose my music given what a pain in the a$$ it is to load it (my BMW had a *much* easier system).
Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Live Oak
You have a problem beyond normal battery function. Bad battery or charging system.
That thought *did* occur to me.Hope it ain't true.....
Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic 2011
This doesn't make sense to me. The battery is being charged while driving. There is something else wrong if your battery is discharging while driving.

I've left my car (older E320) garaged for a month at a time in the winter without driving or starting. A month later it always fires up immediately like it was a warm summer's day.

There is no need to charge a battery in a car that has been sitting for a week.

Hey,thanks for the info.The reason I think periodic charging might be wise is because a couple of weeks ago I drove to my sister's house (65 miles,highway speeds all the way) and immediately hooked up my charger there and it took almost 18 hours for the battery to become fully charged.That makes me suspect that the battery might have been noticeably discharged even after that 65 mile trip.