Best way to run AC on these cars...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Best way to run AC on these cars...

My car is in dealer to get an intermittent rattle fixed (of course they can not reproduce issue...shocking). I also mentioned that the AC does not seem to blow COLD. The service advisor asked how I use it and I say I put it on LO and adjust fan accordingly. Her first response was, "Well, the car is black" which is a BS answer. And then she advised that the best way to run AC on these cars is to leave them on Auto and set temperature to around 72 and adjust from there. Now we have a C300 loaner and it blows significantly colder regardless of how you use the AC. I'm about done with MB and go with something else. Would expect a little better service but instead I get the same BS excuses to get out of doing any work just like a Chevy or Ford dealer.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
I think out of all the cars I've ever owned, the w212 has the best AC by far. I'd say you have some problems. Also it shouldn't matter how you use it, if the temp is set on low then it should blow cold, period!!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM
MCF

E350
Funny thing is that I checked the AC duct temperature with an automotive AC temperature thermostat (gauge with a long needle like stem you put into a vent) and checked the duct temperature - it's blowing at about 45 deg F which is about the same as my 2007 Tahoe which feels MUCH cooler. Perhaps it is something to do with the black or maybe the tint, even though the C300 we have has no tint and feels much much colder than our E350.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
I also have a black car, and for the most part I set my AC like your SA suggests. That's the way I like it. I've had to park in direct sun in mid-nineties temperatures a lot lately. The car cools off pretty quickly. Unlike in some of my other cars, I never break a sweat.

On long drives, I have to shut off the left driver's vent because it blows on my hand -- I favor my left when driving since I drove stick shift so many years. After a while, the cold makes my fingers numb.

I do use manual when I open the windows and the sunroof. One thing I think might be true -- and might be relevant for you -- is that with manual control the car might adjust the temp of the blowing air (possibly at startup) according to the difference in ambient and the temp set in the car. This is hard to explain. But to give an example: Sometimes on a cool day (50s let's say) with the sun shining, the car will be hot with the windows and the sunroof open. With the temp in the car set to 70 but the Auto button off, I've actually had the car blow heat and keep blowing heat, even when the AC button is lit. I've then clicked the Auto button, it switches to cold air to cool the cabin, and then I've lowered the fan speed to get just that hint of cold air from the AC.

So my theory is: When in manual, it reads the ambient temp relative to the chosen temp, and adjusts the air temperature accordingly. When in auto, it reads the cabin temp relative to the chosen temp, and adjusts accordingly. I haven't tested this is very hot temps, as I am sensitive to heat. But I imagine if you start out in a garage where the ambient is close to the chosen temp, it might not adjust the air much at all.

Then again, I might just be full of s**t. That's ok too.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
black car, black ash, black leather, no tint.......but no worries here....
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Can some1 help? I have 2010 E350. Air goes up and down on its own (not on Auto) Command center shuts off and on, Pre-safe inoperable, car locked up and push start would not work, key needed to be used...this comes and goes also..

BUT...Service says no computer messages or history, my car runs like a dream. Really???
Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC, 2013 SL550
Have always driven a black Benz. While it seems to retain heat, the AC in the W212 blows damn cold. For normal driving I leave mine on auto wthe temp at 72. Even on the hot 100 plus days the car is cold quickly. On longer drives I have to lower the blower speed because it gets too cold. My W211 certainly didn't blow this cold. If you can find another dealer dor service as your W212 AC should be cold.....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 PM

Black W212 E550
Originally Posted by MCF
My car is in dealer to get an intermittent rattle fixed (of course they can not reproduce issue...shocking). I also mentioned that the AC does not seem to blow COLD. The service advisor asked how I use it and I say I put it on LO and adjust fan accordingly. Her first response was, "Well, the car is black" which is a BS answer. And then she advised that the best way to run AC on these cars is to leave them on Auto and set temperature to around 72 and adjust from there. Now we have a C300 loaner and it blows significantly colder regardless of how you use the AC. I'm about done with MB and go with something else. Would expect a little better service but instead I get the same BS excuses to get out of doing any work just like a Chevy or Ford dealer.
I do it exactly as they recommended, once it cools off then I go to manual. My AC is pretty good, for a BLK on BLK car.

PS I just cruised up the 5 from LA to SF and it was freezing my butt off!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
AC in Auto mode , dual-zone with 76 on the driver and 72 on the passenger side. Back and forth NorCal to Disneyland with zero issues. Take it to another dealer ...

fromthebeginnin - was that you drafting me down I5 at 90+ ??
Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM

2010 W212, 1985 C10
No issues here, I get in the car, turn it on and it blows warm for about 1 block and then starts to cool. after about 3 miles I need to lower the fan speed because its freezing my hands. I've got mine set on 75
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM

2010 W212, 1985 C10
Originally Posted by lauriesawyer1
Can some1 help? I have 2010 E350. Air goes up and down on its own (not on Auto) Command center shuts off and on, Pre-safe inoperable, car locked up and push start would not work, key needed to be used...this comes and goes also..
gremlins?
Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I set it on auto and 72 degrees. I did that from the day I bought it and haven't touched it since (2 years now.) Works fine. Air is cold when the temp gets above 72 inside the cabin, otherwise its the correct mix of heat and cold for the temp I've set.

To the OP: test by using max cool to be sure it can blow cold air. If it's cold then the system is working. Setting it on LO and adjusting the fan isn't the best way to use it. Do what the dealer says and set it on auto (after all you paid for a car with an auto climate control, you might as well use it.) Using the auto climate control will solve the issue, the dealer is correct.

fwiw, there have been some complaints with the latest Porsche Cayenne. It seems the system is set to shut off when it reaches the auto set temperature. Complaints of not being as cold as in previous models and more on/off cycling. Speculation is that this is part of the new fuel efficiency era
Old 07-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
On really hot days, it does take some time for the a/c to get cold. I also always use it on auto and set it to 72. I generally find the a/c more than acceptable. You can point the diffusers more toward your body on really hot days and/or set the a/c control to recirculate which then doesn't draw the hot air from outside, for a period of time. But if you can't get comfortable, something should be wrong. Regards. Ned.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 890 Likes on 640 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by MCF

Sorry to hear abous AC issues. Mine is very good, the best of any car I have owned so far. It makes me feel cold on a sunny day with 95+ temperature.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 PM
MCF

E350
Thanks guys....auto does seem to work much better. On a side note, I have the best service advisor. She kept my car for 4 days trying to find a rattle. Drove it a number of times a day and could never reproduce it. This morning she finally heard it. Turned out it was something to do with the freakin brake pedal and some bracket or whatever and the sound was coming right out of the far left vent. Well, they removed the vent, lubed everything up and hopefully that fixed the problem. Had a loaner during the last 4 days - a C300. What a plastic POS, road like a skateboard and the black interior was so bland. When I went a picked up my car today sat in a 2012 CLS550. WOW...WOW.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
hey!!!!!! don't knock skateboards.......most don't have half the balance required.....