E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Drifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Drifting

My car drifts to the right on flat even roads when I let go of the steering wheel.

I just had the car aligned and recently replaced the tires. My alignment guy said it was the front tires since the drift changed directions when he rotated the tires.

So, I got a new set of front tires (went from the pzeros to the Conti DWS).

My guy put the new tires on, rechecked the alignment which was still good, but the car still drifts to the right!

Any ideas? My second B-service is coming up soon and I'll have them look at this if it doesn't magically resolve or if my alignment guy doesn't have any other ideas.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
I had a slight drift due to uneven tire wear......turns out one of the tires wore differently due to having a tad less air.....last time I rotated at 10K miles was when it came up.....it has mellowed a bit since then, hopefully due to the rotation.....
I'm going in soon to get another 15K rotation, will hopefully get a clearer idea then as to the concern...
this probab;y doesn't help much....

good luck
Old 08-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Check air pressure. If the alignment is good, and air pressure is good, then start looking at bushings.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
I had a similar issue but a tad to the left, I mentioned it to my SA, when I got the car back (camber adjustment?), now it pulled WAAAAAAAAY right, I mean it made a full lane change within 1/2 a block, WTF, anyway, went back, took several rides with a tech, made the proper steering wheel adjustments (twice), drives fine now.

You will need to drive with a tech and tell him what's wrong.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I felt like my '11 E drifts to the right a little bit as well. All M-B's drift with even the littlest crown in the road, and being that crowns are usually right, I figured that was the case. Took it to the Dealer, they explained the "crown" thing themselves, then said they had a tech check it and that everything was fine. It's minimal enough to where I can't tell if it's normal or not.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Have the alignment checked first. It could be out just a bit. If the Alignment is ok, then have them swap the LF tire with the RF tire. If the car now drifts to the left, it is the tires. If it still drifts to the right, have them recheck the alignment, or, better yet, take it to an independent front end shop. It is not uncommon for Alignment machines to go out of calibration. Also, it is possible to have the Alignment come back "within spec" but have a bias to one side or another. In this case having them get the measurements as close to dead on or leaning on the opposite bias of your pull will correct it. Another consideration is a slight deformation in the wheel itself. If possible, take your car to a shop that offers Road-force balancing. This will actually correct the effects of most imperfections.

Last edited by ImInPA; 08-06-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E550 2010
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Have the alignment checked first. It could be out just a bit. If the Alignment is ok, then have them swap the LF tire with the RF tire. If the car now drifts to the left, it is the tires. If it still drifts to the right, have them recheck the alignment, or, better yet, take it to an independent front end shop. It is not uncommon for Alignment machines to go out of calibration. Also, it is possible to have the Alignment come back "within spec" but have a bias to one side or another. In this case having them get the measurements as close to dead on or leaning on the opposite bias of your pull will correct it. Another consideration is a slight deformation in the wheel itself. If possible, take your car to a shop that offers Road-force balancing. This will actually correct the effects of most imperfections.
Alignment at one german auto shop is a-okay.
I temporarily rotated the LR withe the RR and I was convinced it still drifted to the right.
I then I temporarily rotatated the LF with the RF and I was convinced it still drifted to the right.

A note of interest at both front wheels -- I spun the brake disc by hand and I it spun freely for 3/4 the way but would slow down with accompanied caliper friction noise at the same point with every revolustion. I suspect the caliper is rubbing on a portion of the disc. But this would suggest warped rotors, right? I just got new front rotors 5000 miles ago!