Newbie considering E350 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Wagon, 2011 VW GTI
Newbie considering E350 Wagon

Cheers everyone.

We are considering getting rid of our 2009 X5 Diesel and getting a 2012 E350 wagon. My wife and I absolutely love driving the X5 (sport pkg and adaptive drive) but in two years I'm on my third battery (once my wife was stranded) and have had the power tailgate fixed three times. Due to our high mileage, it looks like we'll also have to buy an extended warranty when we get back to the US next summer (US DOD contractor in Germany). Between new tires, next service and an extended warranty I'll have to drop about $5K in what will be a 3 year old car next summer.

Anyhow - we are eyeing the 2012 E350 wagon. Love the design, space is good, just a bit smaller than the X5. We test drove a 2011 E350 4matic (sport) sedan and it did feel rather bland. The dealer won't have a 2012 to test drive until Oct. I'm really curious to see how much more responsive and stronger the new engine will be.

I do have a few of questions however.

1.) I couldn't find the answer while doing a search...but will the wagon still have the airmatic suspension? I got a hold of the 2012 Dealer Ordering guide and on slide 22 of the wagon specs it does state that it has a rear airmatic suspension. When I go through slide 16 it states it is only available as an option on the E550 4 matic sedan.

2.) Parktronic is not available on the wagon, but a backup camera is. Does this mean there are no parking sensors on the front end of the car?

3.) I don't want to get into a BMW vs. Mercedes handling debate but the only request my wife has is that the car can't be 'floaty'. If the airmatic is available in the wagon does this prevent this sensation or contribute towards it?

4.) Do any of you recommend or have you adjusted the suspension making it a little firmer?

If I had the extra dough there would be no discussion as I would have put a deposit for an E63 wagon. What a beast. A neighbor of mine has the last generation and I hear him drive by every morning. Such an awesome sound.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
Originally Posted by eaweg1
Cheers everyone.

We are considering getting rid of our 2009 X5 Diesel and getting a 2012 E350 wagon. My wife and I absolutely love driving the X5 (sport pkg and adaptive drive) but in two years I'm on my third battery (once my wife was stranded) and have had the power tailgate fixed three times. Due to our high mileage, it looks like we'll also have to buy an extended warranty when we get back to the US next summer (US DOD contractor in Germany). Between new tires, next service and an extended warranty I'll have to drop about $5K in what will be a 3 year old car next summer.

Anyhow - we are eyeing the 2012 E350 wagon. Love the design, space is good, just a bit smaller than the X5. We test drove a 2011 E350 4matic (sport) sedan and it did feel rather bland. The dealer won't have a 2012 to test drive until Oct. I'm really curious to see how much more responsive and stronger the new engine will be.

1.) I couldn't find the answer while doing a search...but will the wagon still have the airmatic suspension? I got a hold of the 2012 Dealer Ordering guide and on slide 22 of the wagon specs it does state that it has a rear airmatic suspension. When I go through slide 16 it states it is only available as an option on the E550 4 matic sedan.

2.) Parktronic is not available on the wagon, but a backup camera is. Does this mean there are no parking sensors on the front end of the car?

3.) I don't want to get into a BMW vs. Mercedes handling debate but the only request my wife has is that the car can't be 'floaty'. If the airmatic is available in the wagon does this prevent this sensation or contribute towards it?

4.) Do any of you recommend or have you adjusted the suspension making it a little firmer?

If I had the extra dough there would be no discussion as I would have put a deposit for an E63 wagon. What a beast. A neighbor of mine has the last generation and I hear him drive by every morning. Such an awesome sound.

Thanks for your help!
I will just comment on question three. I have the e550 with airmatic and find the suspension more than firm enough on either the sport or the comfort setting, not floaty in either mode. As a matter of fact, I would prefer if there was a little more give on the comfort setting, as I live in NJ and the roads can be rather tough. If you live in an area where weather is an issue, there is no substitute for the ground clearance and bigger tires of an SUV. If you don't need that, a wagon will be easier on the body with the lower center of gravity. And for question 2, if no parktronic is available, I would assume that there are no front sensors(there are non on my car) Regards. Ned.

Last edited by ngerstman; 08-21-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1. V6 models do not have the option for full airmatic. The wagon however has airmatic in the rear which works mainly as a self-leveling function for when the rear of the car is loaded. This is specific to the wagon. I do not think you will find the wagon to be floaty in the least bit. If anything, the wagon is one of the most stable platforms you can get. The additional weight bias at the rear makes a great car even better as a wagon.

2. Correct, Parktronic is not developed for USA based on the unique rear bumper requirements for the US market. The rear camera is standard. There may be a good aftermarket solution for parktronic.

3. Don't think "floaty" will be a problem. Depending upon where you live and the pothole situation, I'd recommend going with the standard 17" wheels. Otherwise, the 18s are nice.

4. Again in my opinion, don't bother. Drive it and enjoy the ride. It is an outstanding combination of comfort and sportiness.

I would highly recommend the following options. P2, Driver Assist, Ventilated seats (Special Order and requires leather-I'd suggest chestnut brown) There are probably others.

Good Luck. It is a great car which you will thoroughly enjoy.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 AM

2012 E350 Wagon, 2011 VW GTI
Thanks so much for the feedback. Especially on the airmatic piece. Once the new E350s arrive in Oct with the new engines, we're gonna test drive one for the weekend. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 923 Likes on 656 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by eaweg1
Cheers everyone.

Thanks for your help!

For question 3: The wagon drives just like the sedan. Had one for a week as a rental car in Germany.

Unless they make suspension different for Europe you cannot really tell which one you are driving, sedan or a wagon.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S212 2011 Wagon and Wife's 2014 C350 sedan.
I had a X5 and to me there is more cargo space in my 2011 E350 Wagon with sport package than the X5.
It can haul anything and the third (rear rear) seat for the kids is great.
The ride is just right for me and I've had it for nine months and have yet to see another one here in Minneapolis.
You will not be sorry you acquired one.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 PM

11 GL350 BT | 11 E350 Estate
Agreed with SKYKING44, I love everything about my S212 save the lack of parking sensors front and rear. Back-up cam simply cannot replace parktronics for parking tight spaces. I too have had X5's in the past and there's more cargo space in the estate. The two small rear-facing seats in the cargo are great for kids and the occasions where my in-laws have to tag along. Just throw 'em back there . Suspension is a perfect balance, not too firm and not soft either. Just right, IMHO.