E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

iphone interface in the center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
iphone interface in the center console

My e350 iphone connector is in the center console (I have the 2012 dash/comand in my late build 2011 e). The cable supplied is just long enough to allow you to plug in to your iphone and leave it in the center console. I find this awkward....I really would like the center console closed and since there is no external antenna on the iphone, I prefer to be able to pick it up and hold it up if the signal is weak.

There is also a USB port with no cable in the center console.

I am probably an atypical iphone user...I don't use it for music..when I plug it in, it is to recharge the phone or at least to keep it from discharging.

I am using a 2' usb to iphone cable (thank you ebay) and it's thin enough to fit under the closed center console covers and long enough to allow the phone to sit in one of the drink holders. Of course, I could use a longer cord, but 2' lets me keep the phone where I want it, easily removeable and accessible at stop lights to check news/finance/etc.

If I do want to listen to music or a podcast, I can do so because comand now recognizes a bluetooth connected streaming device (like the iphone).

BUT...there is one little glitch which I believe is a programming bug. If I go to select a bluetooth audio device, my choices are reconnect to last device or something else. I select reconnect to last device (actually my iphone is automatically connected already as a phone...and yes, my iphone was my last bluetooth device) and....the comand system turns completely off. Equally strange, when I restart command (using the button in middle of volume knob), comand is now is talking with my phone in streaming mode. And I can pause music or podcasts from the comand console...which strangely enough, I can't do in the full iphone/ipod connection. Ummm, Mercedes programmers????

The downside, I guess, is that I have to select what I want to play using the iphone instead of comand, but I can live with that.

Last edited by ghstudio; 09-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
I can't tell you what you might be doing wrong but I can tell you that it does work. I have streamed music from an IPhone 3 to to Comand 4 via Bluetooth.

I don't use BT streaming any longer. I bought an IPod Nano and keep it in the glove box.

I did have a problem when I used my IPhone through the IPod connection. If the last device played when the car was shut off was the IPhone, when the car was restarted the music would begin to play until the message came up saying that a bluetooth phone connection was made. Then the music would mute. The IPhone was still playing but it was muted. I had to disconnect and reconnect the phone to get it to work. I trust this is fixed in your new Comand version.

Regards,
Don