E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Adaptive high beam assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
In response to my own last post on the Adaptive headlight operation, all I can say is some days you shouldn't muck in unless you gave yourself a right smart smack upside the head.
Operator confusion on my part.
With the switch vertical the headlights ARE IN AUTO. Dah!!
I had a mental picture of the switch that was clearly in error. Could blame it on the wife as she had the car out so I couldn't check but that wouldn't be fair. Best I leave a blame opportunity to when it will really count.
With the switch vertical and on Auto, and the stalk pushed away the light symbol with the A in it comes on as noted earlier below the speedometer.
At 50 kph on a dark road the headlights did switch to high beams. When I approached a street light they went back to low beams.
I turned in behind a car on a twisty side road and waited until he was out of sight, got up to 50 kph and they went back to high beams. When the tail lights of the car ahead came into view they dropped but not all the way. When I got closer they dropped further. They switched pretty darned fast when an oncoming car came into view and went right back as soon as it passed. Street lights kill the beam change but the lights do still follow a turn.
As is the case with another poster, we live in an area where black tailed deer are common and on the move right now - 3 walked up the street yesterday - so using this feature will have to be selective.
Always enjoy a day when I learn something. I should have known this but never too late.
Appreciate all the inputs.

P.S. the sensor is the camera behind the mirror. The manual makes the point that dirt or snow or anything blocking it will render the system inoperative.

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 02-01-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
In response to my own last post on the Adaptive headlight operation, all I can say is some days you shouldn't muck in unless you gave yourself a right smart smack upside the head.
Operator confusion on my part.
With the switch vertical the headlights ARE IN AUTO. Dah!!
I had a mental picture of the switch that was clearly in error. Could blame it on the wife as she had the car out so I couldn't check but that wouldn't be fair. Best I leave a blame opportunity to when it will really count.
With the switch vertical and on Auto, and the stalk pushed away the light symbol with the A in it comes on as noted earlier below the speedometer.
At 50 kph on a dark road the headlights did switch to high beams. When I approached a street light they went back to low beams.
I turned in behind a car on a twisty side road and waited until he was out of sight, got up to 50 kph and they went back to high beams. When the tail lights of the car ahead came into view they dropped but not all the way. When I got closer they dropped further. They switched pretty darned fast when an oncoming car came into view and went right back as soon as it passed. Street lights kill the beam change but the lights do still follow a turn.
As is the case with another poster, we live in an area where black tailed deer are common and on the move right now - 3 walked up the street yesterday - so using this feature will have to be selective.
Always enjoy a day when I learn something. I should have known this but never too late.
Appreciate all the inputs.

P.S. the sensor is the camera behind the mirror. The manual makes the point that dirt or snow or anything blocking it will render the system inoperative.

Yeah, now as you have finally discovered how to set the adaptive lights correctly how about some smoothing words since you blew me and probably some others away with your harsh comments earlier.

Go test your lights once more and when the road is empty and the high beams are automatically ON hit that fog light button and see if your lights will change to low beam and to the shortest distance and the DRLs go out.

After this when you find out that the lights work like I tried to explain to you under the fog light discussion go back and read your response and think how much I or other people are willing to help someone with your comments.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I leave my Adaptive brights on, too. Its functionality and constraints haven't bothered me, but admit that I like it for its novelty as much as anything else.

On a similar note, I like how the brights and cornering lights fade on and off. No abrupt on / off cycling like every other car I've owned. Classy and elegant come to mind (not to mention a healthy dose of "oh **** that ain't gonna be cheap to fix later).

I agree one of my favorite features on my E
Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
We had that discussion and as I said then and say now IT IS MY PREFERENCE to leave the rear fog off so I get the spill to the sides of the hockey sticks closer to the ditch. A small black tail deer can hang out there so all the light you can get is a good thing.
Not particularly interested in your comments my friend. Others have commented on them before.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 841 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
We had that discussion and as I said then and say now IT IS MY PREFERENCE to leave the rear fog off so I get the spill to the sides of the hockey sticks closer to the ditch. A small black tail deer can hang out there so all the light you can get is a good thing.
Not particularly interested in your comments my friend. Others have commented on them before.
Don't call me your friend as I am NOT.

And my suggestion was not about if the DRLs at 30% power gives you visibility of those deer that they do not. It was to go try it out if it works as I suggested. I bet it does.

Happy motoring...
Old 02-03-2015, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
I wasn't sure about the speed trigger point for the automatic high beams, so I checked this morning. It comes on at a speed of about 19mph, about the same speed that also triggers the surround view camera and active parking assist turning off. That's on my 2015 US spec E350 anyway. It works well.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by noka
I wasn't sure about the speed trigger point for the automatic high beams, so I checked this morning. It comes on at a speed of about 19mph, about the same speed that also triggers the surround view camera and active parking assist turning off. That's on my 2015 US spec E350 anyway. It works well.
This whole adaptive high beam assist thing is absolutely nuts in the case of the 2011 E550. In my experience, the cutoff is essentially 30-35MPH --- any slower and you never get high beams if adaptive selected. And that's exactly when you need it the most --- curvy semi-rural roads with deer and pedestrians.

I simply won't use it --- I go manual.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Live Oak
This whole adaptive high beam assist thing is absolutely nuts in the case of the 2011 E550. In my experience, the cutoff is essentially 30-35MPH --- any slower and you never get high beams if adaptive selected. And that's exactly when you need it the most --- curvy semi-rural roads with deer and pedestrians.

Maybe they reprogrammed it in some later model year to change it, since mine is enabled at about 19mph. I wonder if it would be possible to change with a s/w update through MB.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
like someone else posted, I just leave the stalk forward so auto hb assist is on all the time. I find it helpful when it comes up on its own. If I need to turn the hb's on myself, I just turn the headlamp dial to on from auto and they pop up. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Live Oak

I agree. We have the same road conditions here so manual is best. Mine too comes in at 50 kph or 31 mph.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:07 PM

2014 E250
I just bought a 2014 E250. How do I know if I have the Adaptive high beam Assist function?
Old 07-14-2016, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
As I recall you push the signal/light stalk towards the dash and a small A should show up in the speedometer. Also look in the menu as there is a setting to turn it off an on.
You can also look at the build card for it. Your dealer can get you one.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:33 PM

2014 E250
Thanks

it doesn't appear mine has this option.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
That A only shows up when the feature is enabled. Better to look in menu as alex.currie44 suggests. It's under the lights menue where you can enable DRL's also.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM

2014 E250
I looked under the settings and I can't find the option to turn on/off this option.

To confirm, this is an option and not standard. correct?
Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
right, not standard.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by sgtshultz
Thanks

it doesn't appear mine has this option.
You should use a VIN decoder like this one http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb

and have google translate it to English. If you had it as an option, it'd show up as a feature code. You can also get an epcnet subscription, it used to be free, but now it costs $75 for an annual subscription.

https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/subscribe.jsp

There's another thread where people post their vin and people supply data sheets with your option codes.