E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Adaptive high beam assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Adaptive high beam assist

I must have this feature on my car (2011 e p1/p2...and I have it turned on (I checked in the center instrument panel display. I have no idea if it is working!!!

I read the manual to check. Apparently I am supposed to push the multi function stalk toward (1) (that's away from me) past the pressure point and I should see (or not see...it's not all that clear) a special indicator on the dash with an A in it.

OK....but there is no "past the pressure point" on the multifunction switch...you are either turning the high beams on or not. I am very confused...

What am I missing?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
The so-called "pressure point" is the center position, no high beam, no flash. Just push it forward.

You will find that, likely to your disappointment, with adaptive high beam on you will never get high beams below about 30 mph. A strange restriction that probably has some legal source.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Just push the stalk forward and keep driving. At dark when there is no facing traffic and the cars in front of you are far enough, the car would turn high beams on and you would also see the normal blue high beam indicator. In-between the car adjusts the lights range from full high beams to low beams.

I cannot see why one would need high beams at 30 mph. If there is a temporary need, high beam flash always works. And if one does not like the feature, it can be switched off.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Just push the stalk forward and keep driving. At dark when there is no facing traffic and the cars in front of you are far enough, the car would turn high beams on and you would also see the normal blue high beam indicator. In-between the car adjusts the lights range from full high beams to low beams.

I cannot see why one would need high beams at 30 mph. If there is a temporary need, high beam flash always works. And if one does not like the feature, it can be switched off.
Aha!!!! So, I have to set the light switch to automatic and then push the stalk to the position that would normally turn on the high beams, and then the high beams will be controlled automatically and the adaptive low beams will do whatever they are supposed to do. If I don't turn on the high beams in automatic (or push the lever to where high beams would be on in manual), the high beams will never go on and I won't have adaptive low beams (which is, of course, what I've been doing).

Thanks

Last edited by ghstudio; 10-06-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
You probably don't live in a state like Connecticut with curvey/hilly backroads and lots of deer or other animals roaming around. I think in that environment, one would/should just disable the adaptive lights...I would.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by ghstudio
You probably don't live in a state like Connecticut with curvey/hilly backroads and lots of deer or other animals roaming around. I think in that environment, one would/should just disable the adaptive lights...I would.
I've finally figured out why the high beams don't work below 30 mph! I thought hard about this in another thread that discussed this.

Below about that speed, the lights turn with the steering wheel. The car apparently cannot see far enough on each side to know whether it will blind oncoming traffic (not blinding traffic is a major fed regulation issue). So it apparently cannot have both high beams and turning beams at the same time. And I guess you have to turn on or off both.

Apparently BMW, at least in the past, handled this differently - with low beams, it would limit the travel of the driver's side adaptive lights. If the high beams were on, it would assume there was no oncoming traffic and give full range on the driver's side. This was the clue I needed.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ttoE550
I've finally figured out why the high beams don't work below 30 mph! I thought hard about this in another thread that discussed this.

Below about that speed, the lights turn with the steering wheel. The car apparently cannot see far enough on each side to know whether it will blind oncoming traffic (not blinding traffic is a major fed regulation issue). So it apparently cannot have both high beams and turning beams at the same time. And I guess you have to turn on or off both.

Apparently BMW, at least in the past, handled this differently - with low beams, it would limit the travel of the driver's side adaptive lights. If the high beams were on, it would assume there was no oncoming traffic and give full range on the driver's side. This was the clue I needed.
While this sounds plausible, automatic dimming headlights have been around for decades now and they work at all speeds...and they work when you are turning a corner.

The only thing that the Mercedes does is to add a cornering light (that isn't blinding to anyone), but the sensor for the oncoming headlights isn't effected by those lights because it is looking straight ahead where your headlights are pointing. As long as that sensor sees what is in front of the headlights, it doesn't matter if you are going straight or cornering.

Now on some cars the headlights actually turn slightly (e.g. infiniti) and your argument might hold there because the beam is actually moving to the left or right as you turn....but I think the Mercedes headlights are fixed so that argument doesn't work.

Sorry.....

Last edited by ghstudio; 10-06-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM

2015 GL450
Now on some cars the headlights actually turn slightly (e.g. infiniti) and your argument might hold there because the beam is actually moving to the left or right as you turn....but I think the Mercedes headlights are fixed so that argument doesn't work.

Sorry.....
Actually the headlights themselves do turn quite a bit, at least on my car. I love watching them when I drive. There is an additional light that comes on at really slow speeds (or perhaps really sharp turns).
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220, E350
While this sounds plausible, automatic dimming headlights have been around for decades now and they work at all speeds...and they work when you are turning a corner.

The only thing that the Mercedes does is to add a cornering light (that isn't blinding to anyone), but the sensor for the oncoming headlights isn't effected by those lights because it is looking straight ahead where your headlights are pointing. As long as that sensor sees what is in front of the headlights, it doesn't matter if you are going straight or cornering.

Sorry.....

those conering lights would be good as fog lamps
Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 E550 4M P2 Distronic, CLK550 Cab P2
Where is the sensor for the adaptive high beam assist? Got a msg last night that is was inoperative, and when I pushed the stalk forward the little assist icon was not illuminated. Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Not sure, but I think it may be on the inside center of the windshield facing out. Same place where lane tracking, rain sensing wipers, etc. are.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fisch, thanks. Will se if it does it again. It was VERY cold here last night, and I read somewhere else someone was having issues at cold temps.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 843 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Airmousam
Where is the sensor for the adaptive high beam assist? Got a msg last night that is was inoperative, and when I pushed the stalk forward the little assist icon was not illuminated. Thanks!!
I think the sensor is the same camera that is used for the lane tracking too and is located in the top center of the windshield next to the rain sensor.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Arrie, thanks, seems to be working fine tonight!
The following users liked this post:
dubber350 (07-14-2016)
Old 02-01-2015, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
I would like to hear from some Canadians on this.
I have the adaptive headlights and see the A when I am supposed to but the only thing I see is the lights follow the road somewhat when they are on.
I am not aware of any auto dimming feature.
Am I missing something?
Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 AM

w212
Not a Canadian, but there's an option in the control menu to enable or disable the adaptive highbeam. Also the manual says something about how the Canadian models always have their daytime lights running. Not sure how that might affect the adaptive highbeam.

On mine, as long as the light switch is on A and I have the stalk pushed forward and going fast enough (30-35 mph) the adaptive high beam comes on if the road is clear. If the light switch is manual and I push the stalk forward it does constant high beam (no adaptive, always on).
Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Finally know how this works haha
Old 02-01-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 E350 sport suspension; 2014 Lexus RX 350
Totally agree. I turn on the high beam all the time when returning to my dark, hilly neighborhood. My low beam bi-xenon lights just don't project far enough when driving uphill, even at low speeds.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Ok gang I took a refresher on the Adaptive headlights and I will have to test out what I read.
The adaptive headlight system is enabled,
With the rotary switch vertical i.e. not at A, and I push the stalk away I see the headlight symbol with an A in it below the speedometer and that is all that changes.
If I switch to A that headlight symbol disappears and of course pushing the stalk away turns on the hi beams. There is no position past there as far as I can see.
This is not what I expected to see from what the manual tells me.
I guess the best way to find out what's happening is to take a drive tonight and pay attention not just to how the lights adjust but what the system is doing switching beam leaves.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 PM

w212
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Ok gang I took a refresher on the Adaptive headlights and I will have to test out what I read.
With the rotary switch vertical i.e. not at A, and I push the stalk away I see the headlight symbol with an A in it below the speedometer and that is all that changes.
If I switch to A that headlight symbol disappears and of course pushing the stalk away turns on the hi beams. There is no position past there as far as I can see.
I guess the best way to find out what's happening is to take a drive tonight and pay attention not just to how the lights adjust but what the system is doing switching beam leaves.
That's the opposite of how it works in u.s. as far as working with and without rotary switch on auto. Might have something to do with the daytime running lights being always on for the Canadian one. On mine when the rotary switch is on A during the day with daytime running option on in the control system, the fog lamps go on. I have to push the little button by the rotary switch to turn off the fog lamps and put the low beams on.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Originally Posted by aeroconfigs
That's the opposite of how it works in u.s. as far as working with and without rotary switch on auto. Might have something to do with the daytime running lights being always on for the Canadian one. On mine when the rotary switch is on A during the day with daytime running option on in the control system, the fog lamps go on. I have to push the little button by the rotary switch to turn off the fog lamps and put the low beams on.
The system on mine works as aeroconfigs describes. When the lights are set to A pushing the stalk gives the A in a light icon. The first time you see them work you'll know - well assuming it is dark out of course. It is pretty cool once an oncoming car passes and the line of illumination rises to the sky lighting up everything. The effect is pretty dramatic and totally obvious. Plus as a car or another light source approaches the line drops down to below the oncoming source until they are just lighting up the road in front of you. It is pretty impressive IMO, not simply an on off switch.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:42 PM

2014 E550 Cabriolet, 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Originally Posted by VelaFella
Totally agree. I turn on the high beam all the time when returning to my dark, hilly neighborhood. My low beam bi-xenon lights just don't project far enough when driving uphill, even at low speeds.
Agree here too. CT resident with lots of hills and wildlife in the road. Worst issue is leaving my driveway with no high beams, and only a short length of pavement illuminated. I need to turn off the automatic lights for safety and get my high beams on.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by ddeliber
The system on mine works as aeroconfigs describes. When the lights are set to A pushing the stalk gives the A in a light icon. The first time you see them work you'll know - well assuming it is dark out of course. It is pretty cool once an oncoming car passes and the line of illumination rises to the sky lighting up everything. The effect is pretty dramatic and totally obvious. Plus as a car or another light source approaches the line drops down to below the oncoming source until they are just lighting up the road in front of you. It is pretty impressive IMO, not simply an on off switch.
I think this feature is great and I use it all the time. My light switch stays on "A" all the time and I leave the stalk pushed forward. It is really impressive. The only problem I saw is once in a while in a quiet (dark) neighborhood, when my high beams are on and there is a car at a cross street waiting to turn onto the street I'm travelling on, I'm guessing they may be looking into my high beams. Since they are not facing me, there are no headlights to trigger a change to low beams. I handle it manually if I see that happening. Other than that, someone mentioned it only activates at a certain speed (e.g. 30mph or so). I haven't paid attention to that but now I'm curious and will check it.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Seems all the US ones are the same. I suspect that it has to do with DRLs in Canada which we cannot shut off through the settings. Our DRLs are the low beams albeit under less power than normal (I think - not sure) and on mine the hockey sticks down low which go off when the rear fog goes on. (prefer that lights source on in fog so I leave the rear fog off unless it is really bad.
As noted I have confirmed the only way to get the light symbol with the A in it under the speedo is to push the stalk away with the switch vertical.
The rest remains to be seen when I take a test run tonight.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
I leave my Adaptive brights on, too. Its functionality and constraints haven't bothered me, but admit that I like it for its novelty as much as anything else.

On a similar note, I like how the brights and cornering lights fade on and off. No abrupt on / off cycling like every other car I've owned. Classy and elegant come to mind (not to mention a healthy dose of "oh **** that ain't gonna be cheap to fix later).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adaptive high beam assist