E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

strange noises.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350
strange noises.........

hey guys! i got a few questions about my car, and what better place to ask these questions then you guys! anyway my car is making 2 strange noises. first is that when i brake it sounds like the brakes are being lightly being scratched, you cant hear them when you are normally braking, but if you have the windows down and brake at like 15 miles an hour, you can hear it very lightly. the second noise comes when im backing up and i brake. when i brake over 5 miles hour backing up, i hear a thumping noise coming from the back of the car. i have 2 reasons why these noises came up, and im going to share them and want to get your guy's opinion. the first reason is that about a week ago i dropped the right side of my car off a curb because some stupid punk would not give me enough room to get my car safely down on to the road. so the whole right side of the car dropped. the only damage i noticed was under my bumper on the left side. then agian i did hear the back of my car(i think) scrape the curb when it dropped. the other thing that could have caused these noises is that yesterday i took my car to a gun range. the road to the range was rocky as FU*k and loose rocks every where. i drove really really slow and nothing should have gone wrong but im thinking a rock might have gotten stuck in the brakes? so yea i would love some feedback on this, cause i baby the hell out of car i hate when stupid crap like this happens. *edit* i found out that the scratching/grinding noise is coming from the front brakes, so is that thumping noise.... so im thinking a rock got stuck in the brakes?

Last edited by thenewbie; 10-11-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Only way to be sure is to take it to the Dealer. And find a better gun range, lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by thenewbie
hey guys! i got a few questions about my car, and what better place to ask these questions then you guys! anyway my car is making 2 strange noises. first is that when i brake it sounds like the brakes are being lightly being scratched, you cant hear them when you are normally braking, but if you have the windows down and brake at like 15 miles an hour, you can hear it very lightly. the second noise comes when im backing up and i brake. when i brake over 5 miles hour backing up, i hear a thumping noise coming from the back of the car. i have 2 reasons why these noises came up, and im going to share them and want to get your guy's opinion. the first reason is that about a week ago i dropped the right side of my car off a curb because some stupid punk would not give me enough room to get my car safely down on to the road. so the whole right side of the car dropped. the only damage i noticed was under my bumper on the left side. then agian i did hear the back of my car(i think) scrape the curb when it dropped. the other thing that could have caused these noises is that yesterday i took my car to a gun range. the road to the range was rocky as FU*k and loose rocks every where. i drove really really slow and nothing should have gone wrong but im thinking a rock might have gotten stuck in the brakes? so yea i would love some feedback on this, cause i baby the hell out of car i hate when stupid crap like this happens. *edit* i found out that the scratching/grinding noise is coming from the front brakes, so is that thumping noise.... so im thinking a rock got stuck in the brakes?
Well, some minor scraping sound from the front brakes such as you describe cab be normal especially when you first start out and the car hasn't been driven for a few days. If it happens all the time you could get it looked at.

The thumping noise sounds like something loose. If there's nothing loose in the trunk then I'd check for pedestrians and small animals. They can make a pretty good thump when backing over them!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Certainly sounds like some dust/dirt/rust in the front brakes which is fairly common on most any car with disk brakes. The dealer should be able to blow them out.

Rear brakes are more of a mystery. When you look back after braking, do you see squirrels lying on the road? I'd have the rears checked out...sounds like something could be loose.