E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

iPhone iOS5 problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC
iPhone iOS5 problems

Wanted to see if others have had issues with the new iPhone upgrade. Previously, the speed dial number buttons worked seamlessly. Now, if you press them, they often dial the right person, but the wrong number (i.e. work instead of mobile). I tried resyncing the contacts via Bluetooth with no success. Anyone else have a solution.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
While we're discussing iphone problems, I have an iphone 4 with IOS 5 and a comand 4.5 e350. I have received two calls from "unknown callers" and that appears on the comand screen. I am unable to accept the call by clicking on accept box on comand with the center button....or by clicking on the steering wheel. The only way to answer the phone is to physically pick up the phone and answer it. However, the box with unknown caller accept or cancel still stays on the screen....and there is no way to clear it!!!!!

I guess I also want to know if I am the only one seeing this. It's a verizon iphone.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by shaytun
Wanted to see if others have had issues with the new iPhone upgrade. Previously, the speed dial number buttons worked seamlessly. Now, if you press them, they often dial the right person, but the wrong number (i.e. work instead of mobile). I tried resyncing the contacts via Bluetooth with no success. Anyone else have a solution.
I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy. I really like that feature and would like to find a work around. It seems like speed dial numbers now pick the first number of the contact regardless if it is a favorite number or not.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by GeoE63
I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy. I really like that feature and would like to find a work around. It seems like speed dial numbers now pick the first number of the contact regardless if it is a favorite number or not.
I believe that on the iphone, you can have numbers in any order...so you can have work before mobile if you want for one person and mobile then work for another. This is an ugly work around, if it works

If you are willing to use voice rather than speed dial, you can use "call name" and then say "joe smith mobile" together and it will dial the correct number. The problem with this is that the telephone book does not seem to automatically load every time so when trying to call name, you may hear "no entries in phone book". I have not isolated this problem well enough to report it to Mercedes (if I could actually figure out how to report a software bug).
Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus ES300 2004, E300 2012
I've the same problem after upgrading my iPhone4 to IOS 5. I think the soultion will be from Apple only.

I was expecting "command on line" to work with IOS 5. It doesn't !!!

it seems that MB are not friensd with Apple ;-)
Old 10-20-2011, 09:28 AM

E63 AMG
After some testing, I think that I found a work around. For some odd reason, iPhone with iOS 5 only sends the first telephone number listed of the contact listed on your iPhone Favorites. If the "starred" iPhone favorite is the second or third number listed, only the first number will be sent to Comand, even if not "starred". To make it work as before, I had to reshuffle all the contact numbers on my iPhone Favorites so that the starred favorite number was listed first. This is only took a few minutes. In the case where I had my wife listed twice on my iphone favorite list (home and mobile), I had to create a new contact for our home number and list that first. Hope this helps!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by ghstudio
The problem with this is that the telephone book does not seem to automatically load every time so when trying to call name, you may hear "no entries in phone book". I have not isolated this problem well enough to report it to Mercedes (if I could actually figure out how to report a software bug).
That is interesting. I have an issue when I start the car, I have to wait until the voice recognition software is loaded before issuing voice commands to dial names. In addition, my MB address book is static and has to be manually downloaded whenever I change a contact on my iPhone. With my BWM, it is automatically downloaded every time I start the car.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:45 AM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by GeoE63
That is interesting. I have an issue when I start the car, I have to wait until the voice recognition software is loaded before issuing voice commands to dial names. In addition, my MB address book is static and has to be manually downloaded whenever I change a contact on my iPhone. With my BWM, it is automatically downloaded every time I start the car.
The problem is not reliably reproduceable. Sometimes I get in the car and after about a minute, voice dial works fine. At other times I get in the car and after 5 minutes, there is still no phonebook.

More frustrating is that occasionally I'll get a call, comand will bring up a screen showing who is calling and ask me if I want to answer. I click on the answer button on the steering wheel and nothing happens; I hit the button on the console to select "answer" and nothing happens. I have to pick up my iphone and answer on the iphone. That does not remove the screen from comand....even after the call is done, comand keeps asking me if I want to answer the call!!!! Even if I power off my phone, the comand message stays....so this isn't apple's fault....

So we seem to be developing a list of bugs in comand 4.5. How does one report them to Mercedes???
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM

E63 AMG
The problem is not reliably reproduceable. Sometimes I get in the car and after about a minute, voice dial works fine. At other times I get in the car and after 5 minutes, there is still no phonebook.

More frustrating is that occasionally I'll get a call, comand will bring up a screen showing who is calling and ask me if I want to answer. I click on the answer button on the steering wheel and nothing happens; I hit the button on the console to select "answer" and nothing happens. I have to pick up my iphone and answer on the iphone. That does not remove the screen from comand....even after the call is done, comand keeps asking me if I want to answer the call!!!! Even if I power off my phone, the comand message stays....so this isn't apple's fault....

So we seem to be developing a list of bugs in comand 4.5. How does one report them to Mercedes???
I have comand 4.0, so that may be one of the differences. Have you tried posting this on the discussion boards that Mercedes Benz runs? I would expect that the company monitors those discussions.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I have not experienced any of these symptoms with iOS5. I have a 3GS phone so maybe there is a difference there. Have you tried deleting your bluetooth devices and re-pairing the phone, deleting the address book from Command and starting all over?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ImInPA
I have not experienced any of these symptoms with iOS5. I have a 3GS phone so maybe there is a difference there. Have you tried deleting your bluetooth devices and re-pairing the phone, deleting the address book from Command and starting all over?
I am using a Verizon iphone 4 with ios 5 and comand 4.5. I have deleted the car on the iphone and the phone on comand and repaired. Did not solve the problem. I have reset the comand system and that did not solve this problem.

I believe I now have a firm bug defined....I get in the car with the phone on, comand sees the phone, I say "call name" and I get the message no names in phonebook. I can repeat saying "call name" for at least 5 minutes with the same response. I can also say read phonebook and get the same response. Selecting name from the phone screen shows the address book is there...but even after I see it, I can say "call name" and I am told that there is no phonebook. This is solid and repeatable.

Now I have to find what I did before that actually gets the phonebook recognized....and I have to further investigate why sometimes when I get a call, I can't answer it using comand.

Where is the mercedes forum monitored by mercedes????
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
We have tested iOS5, iPhone 4S and Siri all function fine with our bluetooth adapters and products. This would seem to be limited to the specific adapter in your car.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:00 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Cartronics
We have tested iOS5, iPhone 4S and Siri all function fine with our bluetooth adapters and products. This would seem to be limited to the specific adapter in your car.

Yes, it probably is limited to the specific adapter in my car....but that adapter is the one that Mercedes is installing in all of their (worldwide) comand 4.5 (and likely 4.0) system equipped cars.....so my specific adapter is the important one to get working for most of us on this board.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Agreed, but many people do not know that for many of these cars that have the puck in the center armrest, that there are other "better" and lower cost that WILL work with the new phones and the car. Trying to make Mercedes get a previously produced system to work with newer phone is a lesson in futility. That is why we test with the latest hardware/software as soon as we can get our hands on it to make sure it will work, and if it will not - we get a software update produced so it will. Mercedes does not do that...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM

E63 AMG

Where is the mercedes forum monitored by mercedes????
I go to the AMG Private Lounge forum. You may need an AMG VIN number. I can't remember.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...9247457b5383d1