Sunroof noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Sunroof noise

I noticed when temps were pretty high and sunroof was closed when I parked in sun for a couple of hours, it made a loud screeching noise when I opened it to tilt.
Have had other cars with sunroofs and never observed this.
Is this normal for E class? Going in for "B" service in couple of weeks and will mention it, but wondered if others have experienced it.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
This happened on my GL. The dealer should lubricate it during service B to eliminate the noise.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
Hi El Cid, Sorry to drum up an old post but I am having the same problem. I'm assuming MB lube fixed the issue? Has it returned?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Only temporarily

Originally Posted by stale-bread
Hi El Cid, Sorry to drum up an old post but I am having the same problem. I'm assuming MB lube fixed the issue? Has it returned?
It fixed it for a while, but it returns. Have had it done twice when getting annual service. Last time about a year ago. Noticed the other day when I opened it, it creaked. It had been sitting in the sun most of the day, but temp was about 85 or so.
I almost never fully open the sunroof, but I do tilt it open frequently. Noise occurs when I tilt it open, but haven't tried fully opening.
I don't think it is a lubrication issue as much as the panel and mechanisms expand. Don't know if that is a problem or not, but never had another make of car that did it.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 888 Likes on 638 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by El Cid
It fixed it for a while, but it returns. Have had it done twice when getting annual service. Last time about a year ago. Noticed the other day when I opened it, it creaked. It had been sitting in the sun most of the day, but temp was about 85 or so.
I almost never fully open the sunroof, but I do tilt it open frequently. Noise occurs when I tilt it open, but haven't tried fully opening.
I don't think it is a lubrication issue as much as the panel and mechanisms expand. Don't know if that is a problem or not, but never had another make of car that did it.

You say it happens when the car sits in the sun. Could it be that the sun heats up the rubber seal so badly that it gets too tight around the opening and then makes the noise when you tilt it open? Could it be a sound of dry rubber being rubbed against the opening edge?

I think the sunroof lube also includes treatment of that seal with some silicone treatment or something.

Easy to rule out this as a possibility, i.e. just treat the rubber seal when the sound starts. If it helps it is not the mechanism making the noise.