E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need to find a new second-car, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Need to find a new second-car, any thoughts?

I drive a lot of long distance. After I got my 2011 E, I sold my '09 Chevy Malibu, which I had for over 2 years, put on 30K miles, rarely washed, parked outside, treated like a long-distance work-horse, and sold for only $200 less than I bought it for, now with the intent to drive the E on all the trips and all the time.

Now, after almost 5 months, and already over halfway near my yearly Lease 10K Mileage allowance, I think a new #2 is in order. More importantly, I tend to get VERY sick of cars that I drive all the time, as normal day-to-day things. When I can relatively pamper and keep my cars on somewhat of a "pedestal", they will keep a sense-of-occasion and make me feel like a million bucks (like my E). Also, the long distance driving eventually wears away at the cars front end look (bugs, rocks, debris, etc.), and at this pace, I'll be sick of my car before I know it, and tired of trying to keep the paint in order up front.

Maybe it's less logical than emotional, as yes, my car is a Lease, but I digress.

What I need is something that is first and foremost 1-SAFE, 2-Roomy enough to accommodate my 6'4 height and be of decent enough proportions all around, 3-QUIET on the road 4-New enough to be under Warranty (preferably), 5-Reliable, 6-Efficient MPG.

What I'd also like is to actually get something that I'd like to look at and drive in, as even though it's a work-horse, it would be nice to get some emotional returns from my investment. So hopefully something nice/cool, and something that is as different in nature from my E-Class as possible (variety aspect). Also, some decent, yet normal "tech" (Bluetooth/Sirius compatibility, etc.) would be nice. Performance isn't a big issue, but I'll gladly take it if it fits in.

And I'd like to have it out the door for under $20K (no Lease on this one), probably Used being a best bet.

An example of some recent looks and notes:

1-Hyundai Genesis: Great cruiser, but boring-ish, kind of redundant, and price are still a too high.

2-2012 Ford Focus: Weird that I'd even consider this car, but the critics rave about it, and it's much different natured from my E. Problems are that it's too compact. It's nothing serious looking, but looks fine for a playful, efficient affordable appliance,

3-Volkwagen CC: Not a huge fan of this car, and it seems like it'd feel claustrophobic, but a decent value, and alright looking with its doses of pizazz, and a nice interior. Cons are that VW Reliability is non-existent, and biggest is that the 37.4" frontal headroom will be too tight for me.

4-Dodge Challenger: This is the one that I really want. Total fun variety factor from my Benz, I love Muscle Cars, etc. Cons are that the interior seems like a miserable place to spend some time, and it apparently doesn't have side torso Airbags (????). Also, the 250HP in a 4300 lb car apparently feels less than adequate, and painful (unless I get the more $$ 2011+ V6 models), and also inefficient.

There's my long a$$ post. If you read it and have any thoughts, they'd be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Audi S4 MT6
There's tons of options for that price
07-08 Audi A4 2.0t
MKVI GTi (you can do brand-new for under 20k)
BMW 328 (older than 07ish can be had under 20k)

Who told you VW reliability is bad? It WAS bad, like every single old german car on the road.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
Kia optima
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
+1

on KIA Optima. Ever since KIA got that designer/engineer from Audi, they are becoming very nice looking cars. Whenever I get a Hyundai/KIA car as a rental, I have generally been very impressed with the quality of materials and build quality. Very solid vehicles. If nothing else, it would make my short list. Also, the Infinity G 25 would be a nice daily driver. It's funny, I bought my E to drive. One of the main reasons I love the E is it heritage as a rugged vehicle. I am looking forward to piling up the miles on mine. Based on almost 25k miles on my 2011 E350 BT, I am not anticipating a lot of maintenance. The car has been essentially trouble free. As the diesel continues to break in, it seems to be getting a bit quicker. Using a handheld stopwatch, with about 3k on the clock, I measured it in the 7.5 sec 0-60 range. Just a bit off from the magazine specs. At 25k miles, I see 6.9/7.0 sec using my same "by-hand" measure. I have also observe a significant increase in fuel economy as the engine is breaking in. Remember K-A, these cars are rugged enough to be Taxis all over the world. I won't be that hard on mine.

Last edited by ImInPA; 11-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by B6JoeS4
There's tons of options for that price
07-08 Audi A4 2.0t
MKVI GTi (you can do brand-new for under 20k)
BMW 328 (older than 07ish can be had under 20k)

Who told you VW reliability is bad? It WAS bad, like every single old german car on the road.
Yeah that's what I assume. I've just heard so many bad stories about the early previous Passats (same car the CC's based on). I guess when I think of durable high mileage "Beaters", I don't think of VW's, but maybe that's old prejudices.

Optima's a good choice as well. The Sonata is as well, but from what I hear, my old Malibu is a quieter cruiser. I'll probably look into the Optima more. I can't stand the rear 3/4 of the car, but otherwise it's really nice and interesting for that Class.

PA: Totally, and I love how durable these cars feel and are. I definitely don't wanna "Garage Queen" it, I just want something for these twice or so a month, approximately 1,200 mile (total) drives I guess. I just get sick of cars that I drive a LOT, and like some variety. Also, I'd hate for the drives to just bang up the paint at a more-than-normal level.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
xc90v8. That thing is a tank and you can haul anything you don't want in your E

That's what I'm about to get as my #2.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Not a bad pick indeed. A Volvo SUV is surely a literal "safe" bet, but Volvo reliability is kinda questionable.

I'm not a big SUV fan, but I do think that having one as a "side car" would be cool, since as you mentioned, you can do stuff with it that you can't with your car, if needed (haul stuff, maybe go off roading, etc.).

On that subject, I think one of the best buys in the car market, period, right now, is the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Still a bit homely looking, but relatively nice for an SUV IMO. And it's an amazingly engineered Truck apparently (credit to M-B on that). I've seen some used for under $22K, such a good value.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I have dumped so much money into my 01 s40 I want to cry about it........
stay away from volvo!!!!

considered a PICK-UP or the like?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I had a Volvo S80 that was absolutely trouble free fir the 115k miles I had on it. The S40 is actually a Mazda3 platform. Would definitely consider another Volvo if they would bring the D5 model to the states.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:20 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
wow, that actually sounds like a good volvo experience......I can't ever see myself in one again.......other than the one in my backyard that is still sitting there!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by ImInPA
I had a Volvo S80 that was absolutely trouble free fir the 115k miles I had on it. The S40 is actually a Mazda3 platform. Would definitely consider another Volvo if they would bring the D5 model to the states.
1999 S70. 151k miles. Engine, transmission & suspension original, quiet, tight. Everything on the car works. Wear items replaced as needed. Every other weekend I make a 500 mile roundtrip cruising at 70. I routinely reach 90-100 when passing pokey folks on two lane roads.

2004 XC70. 112k miles. Same as above. The Turbo 5 ROCKS!

EDIT: Both cars always garaged. That makes ALL the difference in the world. Paint on both looks new.

Buy my S70. Keep a lot of change from your $20k. Service records available on request.

Wayne

Last edited by venchka; 11-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM

2011 e350 4matic, 2010 Honda Pilot
KA - If you live in a non snow climate area i would tell you to think about picking up a used mustang GT. you can mod it and beat it to your hearts content. I am sure you can find a lot of good ones for 20k and less.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
dont really know what to suggest car wise that hasnt been offered here. you are in the same delima as me somewhat. i drive prob a lil less than you. currently have a pathfinder with 130k trouble free miles, its an 05. and the C63 as a weekend car. the pathfinder still looks great black paint in great shape. everything works well. only do 10k miles oil changes with extended range mobil 1.

anything you use as a daily driver you should consider a clear shield/bra. i have one on the pathfinder and the front end looks incredible still. i dont have one on the C63 cause it just doesnt see much crowded highway driving. (usually after 7pm to dinner then back home at midnight with nothing on the road)

im considering an E350 or 550 both in 4matic when i replace the pathfinder. i will def clear shield it.

Last edited by eagle_lex; 11-10-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:50 AM

Titleist
Some great suggestions above. In that situation, I might go for the antithesis of the E, so the unique characteristics of one car are enjoyable, yet help me derrive more enjoyment from the unique characteristics of the other (conservative sedan and fun sports car, as an example). Mine suggestions are somewhat random, however, reflecting a mix more driven by the targeted price.

1. Have you considered the Honda Civic you rented recently? Your feedback in the other thread seemed positive and they can be equipped rather nicely.

2. Another might be a Mini Cooper (S in hatch, Clubman or Countryman). Small, yet amazingly roomy for the proportions (for front seat occupants) and incredibly fun to drive. I have a friend that enjoyed his and he is 6'11 and always said there was more room than it appeared.

3. Strictly for the mileage concern, a Prius.

4. You've previously mentioned interest in muscle cars, so the suggestions of Mustang, Camaro, Challenger seem reasonable.

Good luck in your seach and enjoy whatever you decide!

Last edited by golfster; 11-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 AM

2012 CLS550, sold 11 E350
2012 Lime green chevy camaro v8. I always take a second look when i see this car in this color.

Last edited by davidbijan; 11-10-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM

'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320
if KA is complaining about the ride quality on the E350 sport, the Mini Cooper will knock his teeth out...great for the track but as a daily driver it is too much but yes plenty of room. i would like the new cooper coupe as a track car though...
Old 11-10-2011, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by K-A
Not a bad pick indeed. A Volvo SUV is surely a literal "safe" bet, but Volvo reliability is kinda questionable.

I'm not a big SUV fan, but I do think that having one as a "side car" would be cool, since as you mentioned, you can do stuff with it that you can't with your car, if needed (haul stuff, maybe go off roading, etc.).

On that subject, I think one of the best buys in the car market, period, right now, is the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Still a bit homely looking, but relatively nice for an SUV IMO. And it's an amazingly engineered Truck apparently (credit to M-B on that). I've seen some used for under $22K, such a good value.
I've been researching this vehicle for YEARS because my S80 has been plagued by SO MANY problems. The XC90 seems to be pretty solid after reading the XC90 forums for almost 2 years (and as we all know people like to whine about stuff on forums...).

If you get it, get the V8. It's a very smooth car. The early 2006 models were affected by an engine issue that Volvo is apparently fixing at no cost if you press them or get a 2007 XC90V8. I too plan to spend right about $20K and will be picking up an XC90 V8 with under 50K miles in about 6 months and I expect to pay right around $20K.

I think it would compliment my E550 (and your E) really well and I don't see the point in getting another car... I can use it for Home Depot/Costco/Garden center runs all of which, along with transporting the doggie, is strictly off limits with the E550 The XC90 has TONS of space... I'm not sure if you are married but if so it is also a very safe vehicle for your wifey and or kids (or doggie!).

The other reason I want the XC90 for a #2 is I can drive it into areas where I would not want to drive my E550 and still leave it parked outside without drawing too much attention...

I am generally not an SUV person and don't like them and how they look. The XC90 is about the only SUV that I like...

In any case, good luck with your purchase!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My "second" car is a 6 year old Toyota RAV4, 4 cyl. Inexpensive, totally reliable, comfortable, economical (for an SUV) and fun to drive. Would not get the V6, 4WD or 3rd row seating. Lots of utility. BTW, RAV stands for Recreational Activity Vehicle.
Based on your criteria, I would avoid anything from a European or American company. Sad to say, Asians still kick butt when it comes to reliability and low cost to own.

Last edited by El Cid; 11-10-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Who knew this would be so tough. I guess my biggest dilemma is that since I'm now spoiled by driving the E on all the trips, everything else seems like it would be a crude misery of an experience. Also, the E is essentially *the* long distance cruiser, so it seems nonsensical to have anything else to drive on such trips.

However, at this pace, I'd be putting on about 34K miles in 24 months, which is more than the entire 33K month Lease allows. Also, and maybe more importantly, the whole "keeping it nice" aspect would probably go out the window.

Originally Posted by Tomshark
KA - If you live in a non snow climate area i would tell you to think about picking up a used mustang GT. you can mod it and beat it to your hearts content. I am sure you can find a lot of good ones for 20k and less.
Maan, that would be my ultimate! A Mustang V8 is in my blood, I would LOVE one. If I was buying this second car as a pure luxury (i.e, didn't need it for long distance cruises) this would be #1 on my list for sure. I've Rented a V6 Mustang (pre facelift) and it was such a harsh and noisy long distance ride, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by golfster
Some great suggestions above. In that situation, I might go for the antithesis of the E, so the unique characteristics of one car are enjoyable, yet help me derrive more enjoyment from the unique characteristics of the other (conservative sedan and fun sports car, as an example). Mine suggestions are somewhat random, however, reflecting a mix more driven by the targeted price.

1. Have you considered the Honda Civic you rented recently? Your feedback in the other thread seemed positive and they can be equipped rather nicely.

2. Another might be a Mini Cooper (S in hatch, Clubman or Countryman). Small, yet amazingly roomy for the proportions (for front seat occupants) and incredibly fun to drive. I have a friend that enjoyed his and he is 6'11 and always said there was more room than it appeared.

3. Strictly for the mileage concern, a Prius.

4. You've previously mentioned interest in muscle cars, so the suggestions of Mustang, Camaro, Challenger seem reasonable.

Good luck in your seach and enjoy whatever you decide!
Thanks for the suggestions Golfster! Some good ones there. Actually, an update on the Civic, the ride back proved HORRENDOUS to my spoiled pansy a$$. The road noise and wind noise, and just dark atmosphere made me long for the E's serene and coddling environment. However, I am considering the 2012 Ford Focus, as it apparently is being hailed as the best Small Car of all time.

The Prius is actually a good choice as well. And is different enough from my E to give me variety aspect. I guess what works mostly against that is the same thing that works against most Small Cars for me, which is the whole "safety" aspect of 2800 lb cars on the road with SUV's and Semi's all over. But maybe that's all in my head.

To be honest, I think the car that meets my needs the best is the 2010 Ford Taurus. Big, yet pretty efficient, roomy, safe, seemingly well built, modern, CHEAP due to being an unpopular car, etc. Just a good carefree crusier it would seem. Also, the new body style is pretty nice.

The thing that works against that car, is the fact that it practically looks like a "poor mans" E-Class. Talk about redundant. I think I'm just too picky.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 938 Likes on 685 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by K-A

My BIL has a 2011 Grand Cherokee. Very Mercedes like. Very classy interior. Claims to have driven it at 110 without a sweat. Nice vehicle and I don't like SUV's And the best part of all is when he drives my sisters C300 4 matic he tells her what a nice car it is and they are in the market for a W212.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 11-10-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Nice. I just checked '11 Grand Cherokee prices and saw Certified one for $20.9. You really can't beat that value.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I love my pick-up.....
even got some halo lights for it, all LED, and the tails are all LED too, bright as HELL, LOL.....and the lights are all bmw-ish, it's rad......
Old 11-11-2011, 08:20 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Nice. Yeah, I considered about everything (even a Pickup), but I just didn't think one would work best for what I'm looking for. They're not really my style, but I gotta say, there's something pretty gluttonously cool about that pointless overstatement of the F150 "Raptor". Not as cool as the Lightning was though.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:26 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
sheesh, trucks are so huge nowadays, even the F150's (what I have, '98 with just over 100K on the ody)
are huge and boxey......I guess that's what the people want you know?
guess you don't do much hauling or gardening huh?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, no gardening and not much hauling. I mean, I do have quite a few items that I carry along with me, but mostly stuff that can easily fit in a Sedan or even decently sized Coupe.

Maybe I should get a Pickup and a tow bed, so I can tow the E on these long distance journeys, so when I get there, I can at least ride around in style. No going over Lease mileage!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to find a new second-car, any thoughts?