E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Nitpicks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by El Cid
Do you sell MB's and tell people over 50 and women to go somewhere else?
Regardless, if the Luxury version with 17" wheels/all season tires and comfort suspension had not been available, I would not be in an MB at all.
Furthermore, the lines of the Luxury version, especially the front bumper cover flow much better. The grill also looks better, IMO.
Add to this the leather and wood steering wheel, which was only available in Luxury when I purchased my car. One problem with the wood/leather S/W is that one spoke completely covers wiper arm-cannot see it at all. Move cruise controls to steering wheel.
MB offers a "luxury" version because people expect MB to sell luxury cars! Lexus displaced MB in US sales because it offered more luxury and comfort, as well as higher reliability.
Thanks for the info on why seat heater cuts off automatically. Guess this is another area where Asian cars are superior to MB. They do not appear to have this burn out problem.
I am real happy that my car clears curbs, sidewalks and other obstructions. Sometimes just don't have a choice of where to park.
The seats are hard; professional reviewers have noted this. Even in Luxury version with regular seats. The MB Tex doesn't bother me as three previous cars had durability issues with leather.
Nitpicking makes the cars better. That's where the manufacturers get most of their ideas for improvements.
"Most" people over 50 and women actually enjoy the way the W212 looks/feels/drives. You can't please everyone. They don't offer 17" wheels and 1970's style front bumpers that clear small children probably because they look horrible.

The definition of luxury has changed over the years. My 1969 280S has spring seats and rides like a dream...but that doesn't mean it's more luxurious than a W212 (Lexus was still just a Toyota in 1969, so no need to compare).

I don't understand the comment about "you can't always choose where you park". Where you live, do they put curbs in the center of a parking spot...or are they right at the front where they usually are? I don't get it.

In the W211, most people did not see the value in spending $5-$6k on the sports package, therefore, MB didn't sell a whole lot of them, because they didn't appeal to the masses. With the W212, it is offered for free, and ALMOST everybody is happy about it. Their target market is larger. Guess what...they're selling more E-Classes!

If you live in a world where Asian cars are better than MB's, then why on earth didn't you buy the Lexus? It's less money, more luxurious, and the seats are soft like a couch? The ES is still a Camry, no matter how you spin it....and it is quite possibly the most boring car in the world to drive.

"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig" - LEXUS

"Stop it!" - Mike Ditka
Old 11-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by K-A
Once again, this "nitpick" is picking at something M-B does very much on purpose/by design.

Remember, M-B stands for Safety above all else. They would never have a locking system that can lock you inside of the car, were the electronics to fail. The purpose for the pull-up pins are in the case that electronics fail, you still have a manual way to unlock the door and get yourself out.

The pre-facelift W211 had the proper looking pins though, and were the classic M-B style ("Golf Tee" style with a sprouted top, filled with a chrome insert, nice and functional).
Not sure I buy the safety argument. The pins go all of the way down in my CLK when the doors are locked. And, when you pull the door handle of the locked door this manually unlocks the door. In fact, I can't think of a reason to leave the pins sticking up when the doors are locked.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)

No reply.

Last edited by El Cid; 11-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by Busta Riles
"Most" people over 50 and women actually enjoy the way the W212 looks/feels/drives.
Hey...women are people too......lol.