E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Paddle Shifters Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK320 Conv, 2007 CLK63 Conv, 2011 E350
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I'll also add that in my 63 just a slight adjustment of gas foot will drop it into
5th gear, sometimes 4th by itself.......so (in my mind) the added 'burden' of the paddles
isn't really needed....and yeah, I do mean while on the highway.....it's one of the best things about it IMO....thing is fast!
I hear you but on my 63, I want to be in control. I tell the car what to do! The tranny will tell me down one gear with the gas pedal when i want to go two!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mafialink
I hear you but on my 63, I want to be in control. I tell the car what to do! The tranny will tell me down one gear with the gas pedal when i want to go two!!
ah, I know what you mean, a buddy of mine likes the control too.......man.....I can't wait to get the AMG driving school schedule
for 2012!!! they owe me a free day, haha "free"
Old 12-07-2011, 05:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by BenzE350
I always thought the paddle shifters were a bit "boy-racer" on the E350, and much more of a novelty than a useful feature. However, I leaned one driving situation where they are helpful when you "only" have a 268HP V6.

I sometimes find myself on a 2-lane rural road (think Vermont or Maine) where the car in front of me is going much too slow and I want to pass. Unfortunately with oncoming traffic and blind curves, the passing opportunities are limited. In this situation I hold the left paddle shifter until it drops the transmission into the optimum gear and the sweet spot in the powerband. As soon as the situation allows for safe passing, I can overtake the slow-poke ahead of me.

If you don't downshift with the paddles (and simply stomp on the accelerator) it takes additional time to downshift and get into the proper gear for passing.

Hope this helps.
Also, ironically, as boy-racer-y paddle shifters can appear in a Luxury Car at first thought, the placement of paddles in the E-Class makes more sense than most every other non-performance car out there today.... due to the fact that the E's stalk shifter is right up there at the wheel as well. In fact, pretty much everything you need is right up there at the wheel area, allowing your hands to not have to leave said area between shifting into gear and hitting the paddles.