E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

H&R springs and 20 MM spacer installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
H&R springs and 20 MM spacer installed

I could not be happier with how this setup turned out. I have had the spacers on the rear wheels for about 2 weeks now and they definitely helped with the appearance imo. However, it still left me not quite happy with the look of the car. Well the springs have tied it all together.

Which is great because I had to cancel my wheel order due to my wife unleashing her wrath when she found out I ordered them. I have a bit of history modifying my cars and she thought I wouldn't be with this one. I have a problem and I'm wiling to admit it

The ride is still great. It's a little rough over repeated large dips in the road but over all I'm happy with the ride.

Pics would have been better if the sun wouldn't have been glaring but here you go.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350 Sport
Love it and love the stance. Sorry about the wheels. I know it's hard to justify to the wife on why you need them.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 373 Likes on 325 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Big50, rear looks real good. Now just add 15mm front spacers to compliment the rear and complete the transformation.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:15 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63

wow! really nice looking pictures, this is my favorite one......
great shot main!
any more mods planned soon??
it is tons O fun.....
Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

14' CLS550
can you tell us the specs of the original wheels with offset.. thank you.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Assuming his car is RWD, its 18x8.5 ET48 front, 18x9 ET54 rear. Since your car is 4matic, both front and rear are 18x8.5 ET48. Those are specs for all OEM 18" wheels used on all 2010-12 E350 & E550.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Big50, rear looks real good. Now just add 15mm front spacers to compliment the rear and complete the transformation.

I agree, throw some 15mm up front. Thats what I have up front with the 20mm in the rear.. Car looks awesome Big50...
Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM

2010 e350
Looking good. Any issues with bumps or bottoming out? I got new 20" wheels and I think they will look nicer with a bit of a drop but I don't want my car not being able to fit ramps and bottoming out with a full back seat.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:59 PM

2011 ML550
I think your E looks great lowered with those OEM wheels. Those are some sweetly tinted windows!

Is the camber adjustable on these cars, or do you need aftermarket links to get the alignment back to spec?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Looks nice...where did u get it lowered and how much they charged? I just got a e350 in the bay area and am looking to do my first mod also...thanks
Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 PM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by clmulli
Love it and love the stance. Sorry about the wheels. I know it's hard to justify to the wife on why you need them.
Thanks. Ya, I had a hard time justifying it to the wife at the moment. She did me a favor letting me buy the car in the first place. And there's no arguing with a women in her 9th month of pregnancy.

I probably will now. I had been hesitant as I'm paranoid about a spacer failing. I would rather loose a wheel in the rear than up front where all the steering is done.
Originally Posted by hyperion667

wow! really nice looking pictures, this is my favorite one......
great shot main!
any more mods planned soon??
it is tons O fun.....
Thanks, that's me favorite to. I'm going to head back soon near sunset to get some better shots.

As for mods this is going on when i can find time http://www.ebay.com/itm/EURO-BLK-AMG...ht_4996wt_1396

I want to continue with that look by eventually getting some black concave wheels. I will probably add a spoiler and remove the chrome accents on the doors once i get the wheels.
Originally Posted by bigigg
can you tell us the specs of the original wheels with offset.. thank you.
This:
Assuming his car is RWD, its 18x8.5 ET48 front, 18x9 ET54 rear. Since your car is 4matic, both front and rear are 18x8.5 ET48. Those are specs for all OEM 18" wheels used on all 2010-12 E350 & E550.

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I agree, throw some 15mm up front. Thats what I have up front with the 20mm in the rear.. Car looks awesome Big50...
Thank you very much!
Originally Posted by Jbidwal
Looking good. Any issues with bumps or bottoming out? I got new 20" wheels and I think they will look nicer with a bit of a drop but I don't want my car not being able to fit ramps and bottoming out with a full back seat.
Clearance isn't an issue as the drop isn't to crazy. I did hit a huge dip on the freeway christmas eve and no issue. I had myself, wife, and mother in law in the car. And it was BIG.
Originally Posted by jon2002
I think your E looks great lowered with those OEM wheels. Those are some sweetly tinted windows!

Is the camber adjustable on these cars, or do you need aftermarket links to get the alignment back to spec?
From what I have read it's adjustable and that you can get a camber kit but isn't really necessary for the h&r's. I haven't got it aligned yet. The shop was supposed to have it outsourced to another but they ran out of time and I needed to pick up my car. I'll get it done this week.

Originally Posted by davezaristo
Looks nice...where did u get it lowered and how much they charged? I just got a e350 in the bay area and am looking to do my first mod also...thanks
Thank you. I got it done here: http://www.powerhousedesignz.com/
Labor was $250 for install and it would have been another $100 had I had it aligned there. Springs were $270ish with tax. Probably could have got the springs cheaper had i looked around.

Most shops should be competent to handle a spring install. It's pretty strait forward and hard to mess up. I would have done it myself. But it was a PIA doing it on my mustang and I didn't want the hassle. Plus I just don't have the time to do it myself these days.

Last edited by Big50; 12-25-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Big50
As for mods this is going on when i can find time http://www.ebay.com/itm/EURO-BLK-AMG...ht_4996wt_1396
You've got a sweet ride, don't destroy the look and balance with that hideous thing!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
Originally Posted by K-A
You've got a sweet ride, don't destroy the look and balance with that hideous thing!
I second that..it does look kind of chessy..
Old 12-26-2011, 07:03 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I don't think it's cheese at all! looks cool, and you'll never really know until you see it on there....
I am having my stock wheels powder coated this week in black, should look pretty cool to be different for a while......hell, I'm only trying to impress myself and the squirrels.....LOL......
I say try the grill and keep on modding!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Originally Posted by davezaristo
I second that..it does look kind of chessy..

Thanks for you concern guys I got it as a Christmas present, but I did pick it out. In person the quality looks good and it is similar to the ML's grill, except it is all black. http://www.yosax.com/brabus-mercedes-ml-facelift

I'm not sure I'll keep it on for now but I got it with the idea I was getting black wheels and for it to be part of the theme. Also, I wanted the chrome star so that it would still tie together with the rest of the chrome accents on the car. I'm not sure why anyone would think it looks any less tasteful than the other black grills on this site which I have seen several positive comments. Or, maybe it's because it was from ebay.

I don't think it's cheese at all! looks cool, and you'll never really know until you see it on there....
I am having my stock wheels powder coated this week in black, should look pretty cool to be different for a while......hell, I'm only trying to impress myself and the squirrels.....LOL......
I say try the grill and keep on modding!
Lol, thanks! I'm not sure it will look right but we will see. I really do think I have an addiction to modding cars I just can't leave them alone. My wife hates it. Which I can't blame her because I have wasted TONS of money over the last 5 years. Enough to probably pay cash for my E350

Make sure you post up some picks once you get them coated. I'm considering doing the same thing instead of buying new wheels.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:22 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
haha, will surely post 'em up to be judged, lol......
I'm really not sure, but I'll find out this week, haha....
never been a black wheel lover, but I figured I'd just give it a shot.....
what the hell you know....
I was getting tired of looking at them in bags in the corner, haha....

hey, don't sweat the mod money, if it keeps you happy, occupied and
productive then who gives a chit??
at least you're taking care of business too......
there are so many cats out there so hellbent of driving nice cars
the rest of their lives suffer you know?

we gotta do what makes us happy
Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM

2010 E350
haha, will surely post 'em up to be judged, lol......
I'm really not sure, but I'll find out this week, haha....
never been a black wheel lover, but I figured I'd just give it a shot.....
what the hell you know....
I was getting tired of looking at them in bags in the corner, haha....

haha, don't worry I know they will look great. I've seen pics before and I really like the way they turn out. There are two things I really like about black wheels. 1 is that they are easier to clean. Well maybe not easier but if you don't get them 100% clean they look clean. 2nd is that they make the wheels look bigger i.e. an 18 looks like it could be a 19 or maybe a 20". Reason being is that they blend in with the tires and can give the illusion that they are bigger. I think you are really going to like them.
hey, don't sweat the mod money, if it keeps you happy, occupied and
productive then who gives a chit??
at least you're taking care of business too......
there are so many cats out there so hellbent of driving nice cars
the rest of their lives suffer you know?

we gotta do what makes us happy
Ya, I try not to. I honestly think cars are part of why I have been successful so far in life. Well successful for me, others definition may be higher. Anyhow, being able to afford and play with my toys has been part of my motivation for progressing in my career.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Same here on that. ^^

I'm not a materialistic person, except for with cars. And cars are about the most expensive of material items that you can be addicted to. So it helps keep me on my grind as well.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Big50
I probably will now. I had been hesitant as I'm paranoid about a spacer failing. I would rather loose a wheel in the rear than up front where all the steering is done.
Chance of spacer "failing" is next to zero. What can fail is a lug bolt due to longer length - the longer the bolt is the weaker it is.

While you do not want to loose one of the steering wheels, loosing a rear wheel (especially in RWD car) is even worse - a spinout would be almost certain.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Chance of spacer "failing" is next to zero. What can fail is a lug bolt due to longer length - the longer the bolt is the weaker it is.

While you do not want to loose one of the steering wheels, loosing a rear wheel (especially in RWD car) is even worse - a spinout would be almost certain.
Assuming that the proper length bolt is used, there is a near zero chance of a bolt failing while in use. It may fail while being installed but it is unlikely to fail while driving.

In addition, you would need to lose all 5 bolts before the wheel would fall off. If you lost three then the remaining two might shear off, but all five will never fall off by themselves at once. The wheel would wobble quite a bit once you lost a few bolts giving you plenty of time to pull over.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:53 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Wanna send me your stock springs?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CEB, read the whole thing. His concern was that spacer will fail. To which I replied that a longer bolt has a better chance of failing, no matter how remote, than a spacer. And obviously more than one has to fail all at the same time to loose a wheel.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM

2010 e350
thanks for replying about the ride of the springs. Did you purchase your springs from the same shop that installed them? I live in the bay area as well and might just use them. I ordered springs online and they sent me the wrong ones. Its less of a hassle dealing with one company.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by K-A
Same here on that. ^^

I'm not a materialistic person, except for with cars. And cars are about the most expensive of material items that you can be addicted to. So it helps keep me on my grind as well.
I think I'm just like you. The worst part is they depreciate in value.

Makes sense. I'm sure it would be safe.

Originally Posted by Jbidwal
thanks for replying about the ride of the springs. Did you purchase your springs from the same shop that installed them? I live in the bay area as well and might just use them. I ordered springs online and they sent me the wrong ones. Its less of a hassle dealing with one company.
Yes i did purchase them through powerhouse designz in Concord.
Originally Posted by MCF
Wanna send me your stock springs?
I would love to help you out but I want to hold on to them for when I sell the car.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:17 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
gosh, MCF is always after people's spare parts! LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: H&R springs and 20 MM spacer installed