Pissed with fog light :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Pissed with fog light :(

I know this is about my s class, but I just wanted to know your guys' opinions on as you guys are much more responsive than the members in the w221 forum:
My drivers side fog light had condensation that wouldn't go away and the housing was burnt partially on the inside, so I took it in to the dealer today. They said the light wasn't installed correctly (the bulb) which was letting water and dirt in and said they won't replace it under the extended warranty. They offered to reposition the bulb and so I let them and got the car back. When I got home and after I washed the car, I noticed the bulb they worked on is cracked! The glass outside of the bulb is cracked!!!! What should I do? I don't want to spend $220 on a new assembly
Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,421 Likes on 2,859 Posts
2012 CLS63
wait wait wait!!!!! something is defective and the dealer won't fix it for you?????
am I understanding this right??
Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by hyperion667
wait wait wait!!!!! something is defective and the dealer won't fix it for you?????
am I understanding this right??
Not quite. it appears that his car is out of warranty and his extended warranty doesn't cover this type of problem.

In addition, he is saying that there now is additional damage that he thinks was caused by the dealer.

There are two issues here - the original fault and the subsequent claim of damage by the dealer.

The OP's post is missing several facts that we need to advise him;

How far out of warranty? Had you complained about this issue before or has the dealer done any work on the fog lights in the past?

Was it the original bulb or had it been changed in the past?

When did you notice the crack? Are you sure it wasn't there earlier?

A bit of condensation in any non-sealed beam lighting unit is normal and goes away after the bulb is on for a few minutes.

Excessive moisture usually has an external cause - either somebody changed the bulb and failed to put the back cap on properly, an impact jolted the cap out of place (quite rare without doing other, much more substantial, damage) or road debris damage cracking the lens.

Generally speaking, a four year old car won't develop a warranty issue with condensation in a light housing.

I also suspect that if you look at the lens carefully, you will see a tiny little chip where a rock or pebble hit it. If it was broken at the dealership then you will have a very hard time proving it unless you noticed and reported it before you left the dealer's lot. Depending on your relationship with the dealer, it is possible that they'll do it on their dime as a goodwill gesture but do not hold your breath.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:00 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
If the Dealer did it then just get them to fix it.

Unless they deny that they did it.

This, once again, is a good reason to literally go over your car with a fine toothed comb when you get it back from a Dealer, to ensure that no "confusion" occurs. If you don't want to look like a weirdo in front of everyone, then go down the street and do it. If you discover something, you can just drive it right back.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by K-A
If the Dealer did it then just get them to fix it.

Unless they deny that they did it.

This, once again, is a good reason to literally go over your car with a fine toothed comb when you get it back from a Dealer, to ensure that no "confusion" occurs. If you don't want to look like a weirdo in front of everyone, then go down the street and do it. If you discover something, you can just drive it right back.
+1, with an additional suggestion. Don't pick your car up when it is raining if you can help it. Drive out of the bay but don't leave the dealer's lot to check your car over. Many dealers have some sort of service delivery lane that may be crowded, so just pull it out into the parking lot. Once you've left the dealer's premises all bets are off.