E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Just bought a new E350, but trade-in price is painfully low. Should I trade-in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350 W4, 2016 C 300, 2012 E 350 W4 Lux, 2006 ML 350
I feel your pain brother.

I just painfully let my '06 ML go to the dealer for $9k less than KBB was saying I could have gotten for it from a private sale. The car was imaculate with only 27000 miles on it. It was my first MB and I treated it like a baby and the car was flawless/spotless.

That being said... The older I get the more I realize that money isn't everything. It was nice to just drop it off and pick up a new E350 without a care oin the world. Guess it's up to you ... Is the money worth the agravation? It wasn't for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Sounds like a unique car, but not one the dealer is going to put "on the lot" given its age, mileage and condition. If you trade it, it will go to auction, which costs the dealer money as we as uncertainty about the final value.

Good luck with whatever choice you make; regardless, the new 2012 E Wagon is a beautiful vehicle. As I've said before, I favor its lines over the sedan.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
So I finally traded in the old wagon at the dealer request price. But before I did that I removed many of the mods and replaced them with the original parts that came with the car that I had kept over the past ten years. These mods were not aftermarket but all MB original items that were installed by Steve Krabenborg (from Sweden) when he used to frequent the US doing custom installs. (I miss Steve.) I removed the AMG steering wheel, the 5-disc CD changer, and the electric folding mirrors. I could have removed the entire Navigation system and put back the old radio but I didn't have the heart to strip down the old car. She served me quite well all these years. The salesman looked at the car for two minutes (for the first time) and didn't even care whether it had gold bars in it or a dead horse.

We drove off with the new 2012 White Wagon. The funny thing is last night as I was tucking in bed my four year old son, he started crying and said he missed the old car. The kid was genuinely sad! His two sisters (10 and 13) consoled him by saying the old car was in a garage in heaven - ready to be processed by angel parking attendants to be returned as a new car later on. My kids are true MB loyalists.

Happy new year to you all.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Man, for a car that's been with you for so long and seems to be so well kept/done, why didn't you just keep it? $3500 is $3500, but it's such an insignificant amount considering what you gave away. No room would probably be one of the reasons?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
I believe your E Class will serve you well . You could also consider of keeping it but I think you have some reasons behind it
Happy driving
Old 01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
congrats on your new ride, paxfobiscum ! getting rid of a 14 years old car isn't a bad move especially if both cars are the same body type, wagon. repair bills will kill all your love down the road.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Thanks guys. Living in NYC has its ups and downs, and one of the biggest downside is garage costs. In case you guys don't know I am paying almost $400 a month to park my car - and that is cheap because some people I know pay between $450 and $550 a month. I get a little discount from being a long time customer. The parking cost is practically equivalent to leasing a new E350, hence garaging two cars will be a financial disaster. What is really astounding is that in my garages you see a few Honda civics, and corollas, so effectively these guys are paying more a year to park their car than the cost of the car itself. Astounding how they see the logic in the upside down financial setup. Of course you also see a lot of Bimmers, MBs and Audis.

Of course there are many other reasons why I don't need two cars: We only use the car rarely and public transport (bus, subway, taxi) is so easy. But with three kids I do need one car, but one only. In this regard, a one car guy I will be until I leave Manhattan.

Drove the 2012 wagon today for about 80 miles. The car drives great and couldn't be happier with the purchase. Initial acceleration was flat (the older car had a faster initial acceleration) but the second stage kick from the 300+ hp engine was great. Brakes were a little mushy (but maybe I just need to get used to it.) What was really overwhelming was the technology and electronics of the new comand. Felt like I just came out of the middle ages into the modern world with this car. I remember a decade ago (when I was a new member in MBworld) that we were all so proud just to have navigation. Now with everything in the car it is really shocking...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
don't forget to post some pics before your four year old destroyed it as he misses the old one that much .