E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sprint Booster!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-Class
Originally Posted by hyperion667
gotta say, it's tempting...........
but I still wonder about the long term effects of this product........

thanx for posting....
Hyperion, we have customers who have been using Sprint Booster for years, since its original release in the non-selectable version. In recent months we have had more and more customers returning and purchasing the selectable for the same vehicle or other vehicles they now own.

We encourage you to reach out to customers who have posted reviews on this forum over the past 4 years and follow up to see what their feedback is. We are certain they will be mostly or all positive.

Cheers,

Sprint Booster USA
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
Smoother or longer peddle travel??? Really? Mb did not increase the peddle travel on the E, its called a delay, every e class has it(that has drive-by-wire), even yours. Its not what makes a MB a Mb. If it wasn't a problem then companies, like the one that makes SB, wouldn't be around, and 1/3 of the people on this forum wouldn't have one(maybe not 1/3rd,lol). I've owned 5 MB personally, family has had 3, and none of them felt like this.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Sprint Booster USA, I have a crazy question. Since the throttle is controlled by a wire and you increase the power so it reacts faster, is it possible to make something for the trans. Something to increase the power to the wire on the gear selector in order for the trans to respond faster(typical r to d situation)? Our trans is settup just like the throttle, and is controlled by a wire.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by RobbieRob
Smoother or longer peddle travel??? Really? Mb did not increase the peddle travel on the E, its called a delay, every e class has it(that has drive-by-wire), even yours. Its not what makes a MB a Mb. If it wasn't a problem then companies, like the one that makes SB, wouldn't be around, and 1/3 of the people on this forum wouldn't have one(maybe not 1/3rd,lol). I've owned 5 MB personally, family has had 3, and none of them felt like this.
I've owned and driven quite a few M-B's myself. The W212 pedal as ZERO more delay than any others, basing this off of my 2010 and 2011's. I have *zero* delay in my pedal. Just a smoother pedal travel, i.e you need to push it more to engage the engine more. My W211, W220 were the same way. Try driving a W126 or W140 if you want to see how much that type of pedal-travel/feel is "M-B like", as you really got a lay it into those to get it moving, but it's smooth as butter. Don't mistake this for a delay, as a delay it is not. Look up BMW 5-Series "tip-in throttle" to see what a delay is. A delay is a *delay*, then a harsh jolt when the computer finally registers the car to start moving, which by that time, you're pressing the pedal so hard, you get a delay-kick. The W212 is the opposite from that, at least my 2 have been.

Last edited by K-A; 01-04-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Ka, I understand the peddle feel. I agree that the nice easy feel of the peddle in a MB is comfortable, But the sprint booster will maintain that feel, just gets the car going sooner. SB will not make the peddle any harder to push, so what would be the downfall of adding a SB(since the feel is the only thing you and Ned speak of)?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Ka, I understand the peddle feel. I agree that the nice easy feel of the peddle in a MB is comfortable, But the sprint booster will maintain that feel, just gets the car going sooner. SB will not make the peddle any harder to push, so what would be the downfall of adding a SB(since the feel is the only thing you and Ned speak of)?
It is very difficult to explain the "feel" of what effect Sprint Booster has on a vehicle. There are many misconceptions out there. But in all honesty, the best way to understand what Sprint Booster does is to try it for yourself.

A comment we often hear from our customers is that they fall back in love with the vehicle they have been driving for years. Many are pleasantly surprised within the first few seconds. It starts with that first press of the pedal.

We admit, our product won't be for everyone. But many who try it love it!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
All the sprint booster is doing is changing the response curve of the accelerator, it does not eliminate what some think is a "delay". I had a 1986 500SEL and a 2000 e320 and both had the same accelerator feel as my e550. A smooth, controlled take-off is what you get with a fine amount of control over acceleration. If you cram more acceleration into a smaller amount of travel, you lose control over acceleration. Imagine you're at 60mph after one inch of accelerator travel as opposed to being there with two inches. The sprint booster changes the acceleration curve. I have never seen any claim that sprint booster improves your 0-60 so it can only be a matter of hitting the gas peddle harder to get the same results as you get with the sprint booster. But if one prefers to get to a higher speed with less accelerator travel, that is a personal preference and by all means get a sprint booster. Regards. Ned.
The following users liked this post:
Bahnstormer (11-28-2017)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

2005 Audi S4 MT6
Oh my. I really feel bad for the Mercedes world. It is just a sad sad shame that so many of you buy into products like this. This is where the Audi world and the Mercedes world differs. Outside of the AMG product line, Merc does not need much attention from other big tuning companies, so you guys have to buy into marketing shams like that Sprint booster. The sprint booster does NOT add 1 single horsepower, so saying your car is faster is just insane. The Sprint booster is just a device that turns what normally is 20% throttle input into 80% throttle input. That is how the car feels faster. The free solution would be to just push the accelerator down more. Or get a tune.

Am I the only one who notices the marketing-like lingo of the OP? LOL stuff like that only flies on this forum. It is very clear that the OP is being paid to pump up sprint products. This type of stuff is not new to forums. Advertisers/Mfr's do it all the time on forums and it's very very obvious and it HURTS their rep.

You guys can say all you want about the sprint booster. The reality is you are throwing your money away!

How about we see some REAL results. Not dyno runs, because those can be fixed. Do it the right way: go to the track an put down some good 1/4 mile times. PROVE IT. Back your product sprint!

Just my two cents. The MB world looks like the Audi world did 5 years ago. Fancy advertisers with fancy charts and fancy members pimping their stuff.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic
Originally Posted by B6JoeS4
Am I the only one who notices the marketing-like lingo of the OP? LOL stuff like that only flies on this forum. It is very clear that the OP is being paid to pump up sprint products.
LOL, You are stupid wrong. I have no affiliation with ANYONE. No one asked me for a review. I did this all on my own because I was happy with the product.

I can't believe the accusations that go on this forum. Its amazing how immature people are here. You'd think a MB forum would have educated professionals. Instead I se a lot of conceded immature brats.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GL63 AMG, 2012 E550 4 matic
Originally Posted by B6JoeS4
The sprint booster does NOT add 1 single horsepower, so saying your car is faster is just insane.
Who said it does? WTF, read the forum.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM

B6JOES4, I agree and don't have a SB. I just know that I hate drive-by-wire, and the trans-by-wire also. The connection between the car and I when I drive hard is so compromised, give me a good ole' fashion cable to open up my butterflies..lol,, Most people on this forum don't drive hard(which is fine), let alone go to a dragstrip or dyno. I like to drive the car hard and drift the car around turns, which is so hard with this settup, you litterally have to anticipate when the throttle will actually come on full, no feathering... I know guys, tear me a new one for driving the car hard. I only do it on back roads surrounded by farm land, so I do consider the fact not to hurt anyone.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Originally Posted by enzo thecat
Who said it does? WTF, read the forum.
seems like ppl read last post and then comment ..
Old 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Full Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer other than MB. I represented MB in a commercial last year...

I installed the SB in my 2010 E350 because I wanted a tighter feel to my acceleration. The SB accomplishes this without adding any HP or doing anything other than allowing me to push lighter on the gas to get the desired acceleration result. I've had it installed and operating for about 30K miles to date with zero issues, no MB tech comments, no questions at service times.

If anyone is in Nor-Cal and wants to feel the difference, PM me. You simply turn off the SB and tap the gas. Then turn on the SB (green mode) and tap the gas. If you want a further difference turn on the SB (red mode) and tap the gas.

Most of my friends and family that have tried this on my car can feel the difference, and they (as I did) like the difference. Yes, I could mash the gas harder for a similar feel with zero cost, but I also could have bought an E550 or E63 if I wanted that feel.

Geez ... can we be civilized now?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

For the record, I'm not against Sprint Booster. It still doesn't make "sense" to me, as I don't get the hoopla if it's not adding more power to the car, i.e you can achieve the same results with a less lazy foot, however, I obviously witness lots of extremely enthusiastic fans of it on their cars (which is also hard for me to understand, but I can't deny that it's prevalent).

What I've been saying is that I personally don't think that the attributes I hear of it don't suit how I want my Luxury Car E-Class to feel. As well, I've always enjoyed the "mature" pedal-travel and feel of an M-B, which would obviously diminish if you're going from 20%-80% at the same push. If I drove, or wanted to drive my car more aggressively, or if I had a car I intended to use as a sportier car with more power, I'd probably get one to just make it feel as fast and responsive as possible.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I'm on board with K-A, not against sprint booster at all. If that's the feel and response you want out of your accelerator, than by all means, get a sprint booster. Didn't mean to seem adversarial, just expressing our opinion and passion!! Regards. Ned.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
B6JOES4, I agree and don't have a SB. I just know that I hate drive-by-wire, and the trans-by-wire also. The connection between the car and I when I drive hard is so compromised, give me a good ole' fashion cable to open up my butterflies..lol,, Most people on this forum don't drive hard(which is fine), let alone go to a dragstrip or dyno. I like to drive the car hard and drift the car around turns, which is so hard with this settup, you litterally have to anticipate when the throttle will actually come on full, no feathering... I know guys, tear me a new one for driving the car hard. I only do it on back roads surrounded by farm land, so I do consider the fact not to hurt anyone.
I don't have SB either. And drifting is not necessary to experience what you are saying. I know exactly what you mean.

As I understand it, the throttle response is nonlinear, according to a white paper someone posted. So for the early part of the throttle range the throttle is mostly unresponsive, and then at some threshold it decides you really meant to press the throttle and suddenly makes the mapping aggressive. It is this sudden switch that screws up a good drift or, for that matter, keeping the car balanced when taking a corner a bit faster than usual. Simply pushing the pedal harder is not the answer as good fast driving is 100% about balance (and the smooth transfer thereof).

I wouldn't care if the pedal had a lot of travel so KA could have his smooth takeoffs as long as, say sport mode made the throttle linear. Perhaps what SB does is keep the throttle beyond the threshold so that there is no change in mappings. Yes, it might be twitchy, but if so one would get linearity. Dunno
Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by samkimg
Full Disclosure: I'm not affiliated with any manufacturer other than MB. I represented MB in a commercial last year...

I installed the SB in my 2010 E350 because I wanted a tighter feel to my acceleration. The SB accomplishes this without adding any HP or doing anything other than allowing me to push lighter on the gas to get the desired acceleration result. I've had it installed and operating for about 30K miles to date with zero issues, no MB tech comments, no questions at service times.

If anyone is in Nor-Cal and wants to feel the difference, PM me. You simply turn off the SB and tap the gas. Then turn on the SB (green mode) and tap the gas. If you want a further difference turn on the SB (red mode) and tap the gas.

Most of my friends and family that have tried this on my car can feel the difference, and they (as I did) like the difference. Yes, I could mash the gas harder for a similar feel with zero cost, but I also could have bought an E550 or E63 if I wanted that feel.

Geez ... can we be civilized now?
Originally Posted by K-A
For the record, I'm not against Sprint Booster. It still doesn't make "sense" to me, as I don't get the hoopla if it's not adding more power to the car, i.e you can achieve the same results with a less lazy foot, however, I obviously witness lots of extremely enthusiastic fans of it on their cars (which is also hard for me to understand, but I can't deny that it's prevalent).

What I've been saying is that I personally don't think that the attributes I hear of it don't suit how I want my Luxury Car E-Class to feel. As well, I've always enjoyed the "mature" pedal-travel and feel of an M-B, which would obviously diminish if you're going from 20%-80% at the same push. If I drove, or wanted to drive my car more aggressively, or if I had a car I intended to use as a sportier car with more power, I'd probably get one to just make it feel as fast and responsive as possible.
The problem with many of these mods is that most people have no clue what they are buying and are just following the rest of the crowd lemming like then extoll the virtues of a mod like it is the second coming.

The manufacturers play on this of course with lots f very carefully worded gobbledegook to confuse the casual reader. An example comes from the Sprint Booster website

"It is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ETC’s potentiometer, and providing the ECM with a new and altered signal."

Truth be told, the Sprint Booster does not technically improve acceleration. It merely allows you to get the same acceleration that the car already has - you just get there by pushing on the gas pedal less. In the FAQ, they say that the SB by itself does not use more gas. Technically a correct - but misleading - statement. More acceleration at a lower gas pedal setting by definition means more gas getting sucked into the engine.

So, does this make it a bad mod? Not necessarily as long as you understand what you are paying for and understand the warranty implications.

Are there warranty implications? From the SB website "It is a device that improves acceleration by continuously measuring and converting the digital signal provided by the ETC’s potentiometer, and providing the ECM with a new and altered signal."

Providing an "altered signal" is considered by most manufacturers as modifying the car's computer.

Finally, this device alters or bypasses safety devices built into the car. I suspect that the use of the SB would be frowned upon by anyone remotely connected to the "unintended acceleration" issues.

Accordingly, only once you've properly considered all the upsides and downsides can you make an informed decision about this or any mod. From reading this thread it seems like some readers attribute magical qualities to this mod - when in fact all it does is step on the gas harder.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Well said CEB. In my case, being a marathon runner, cyclist and Ironman, my feet can twitch really quick. Hence no need for Sprint Booster for me as my sprint booster is in my DNA. The beauty about my DNAd SB is that I can apply it to any car (or bike for that matter.)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by CEB
From reading this thread it seems like some readers attribute magical qualities to this mod - when in fact all it does is step on the gas harder.
That's what's crazy to me as well. Not doubting all the people, but the stories you hear from S.B users, you'd seriously think they put V12 TT's underhood of these cars. Considering that Sprint Booster cars are not at all faster than non Sprint Booster cars, yet people who have S.B's feel like their cars are incredibly faster with it, it's just a head-scratching situation. I'd love to drive an S.B equipped car to analyze just how it feels and what it's doing myself.

I have long legs anyway, so pushing the pedal harder to get the same results isn't such a "stretch".
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4-Matic Sport
I don't think anyone should give a negative or misleading opinion about SB unless they have tried it out for themselves.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by alloutmk23
I don't think anyone should give a negative or misleading opinion about SB unless they have tried it out for themselves.
I know exactly what it does and I've driven cars like mine with the SB. You can get the same exact response from jabbing your gas pedal.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
There are continued mis-conceptions on what our product functions in vehicles. We welcome opinion and discussion on the forum about our product. We have sold over 200,000 units, But when it comes to safety, we take this very seriously.

* TUV approval as an automotive product. http://www.tuev-sued.de/home_en

* Multiple SEMA awards by our industry peers including best new product in 2010.

Our product speaks for itself and usually exceeds the expectations of the user. Again, Sprint Booster may not be for everyone. But those who "try it" tend to like it a lot and become repeat customers.

Last edited by SprintBooster; 01-05-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:29 PM

E350 Coupe
I have been using a SprintBooster in my 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe for 5 years. I have not experienced any problems. It really kills me when people who have never tried one arrive at the conclusion that you can get the same results just pushing the pedal faster, harder, etc. You can't. I am a user!!! I know...I'm not speculating, I'm not guessing. The place that you really notice it the most is between gear changes where it does eliminate lag. It also is very noticeable when using manual mode. I find it somewhat unbelievable that so many people know exactely what it does and what effect it has on your vehicle without ever trying one. Please before telling people who have installed and experienced driving their cars with and without SB installed that they do not know what they are talking about are lying or stupid try one yourself...then if you feel no difference you can write informed paragraph after paragraph about how worthless they are.

I do not have one installed in my 2010 E Coupe because it's my wifes car.

This paper that everyone refers too was written in 2007 and the vehicle used in the test was a 1999 MY Benz. A little out of date. Oh, and by the way after checking out the author (5 years ago. He had a company marketing a similar product only better of course).
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by steelgrey
I have been using a SprintBooster in my 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe for 5 years. I have not experienced any problems. It really kills me when people who have never tried one arrive at the conclusion that you can get the same results just pushing the pedal faster, harder, etc. You can't. I am a user!!! I know...I'm not speculating, I'm not guessing. The place that you really notice it the most is between gear changes where it does eliminate lag. It also is very noticeable when using manual mode. I find it somewhat unbelievable that so many people know exactely what it does and what effect it has on your vehicle without ever trying one. Please before telling people who have installed and experienced driving their cars with and without SB installed that they do not know what they are talking about are lying or stupid try one yourself...then if you feel no difference you can write informed paragraph after paragraph about how worthless they are.

I do not have one installed in my 2010 E Coupe because it's my wifes car.

This paper that everyone refers too was written in 2007 and the vehicle used in the test was a 1999 MY Benz. A little out of date. Oh, and by the way after checking out the author (5 years ago. He had a company marketing a similar product only better of course).

I apologize if you think I was one of those you think as being stupid or lying but you have no idea what my right foot can do until you see it...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
This thread has spurred my interest in sprint booster. Now I've driven a toyota camry before and hated how sensitive the gas pedal was. Pretty much a tap of the pedal had you going almost as fast as if you were smashing it.

Now for our cars we have to modulate the pedal push in order to obtain the proper amount of acceleration. Generally 1/2 down to the pedal will obtain the proper on ramp merging and lane switching acceleration. Now does this product make the car similar to a toyota acceleration or does do it via mercedes kick down into the optimal gear for quicker acceleration.

TIA for any further clarification.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster!