E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mercedes Saved My Life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Glad your 2 are safe. That is most important! Also very happy the car did just what it was made to do! Thats a awful shame. I as well swear by MB Safety and was hit in a MB years back. Walked away 100%. Say whatever about MB But I am a customer for life for them and this is a major reason why.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
There are many reasons why the S class tops the E (the comfort and materials in the S is unparalleled! i love the legroom in the back of the s (i also have the 8 way power adjustable rear seats and side window shades); in comparison, the e has like barely any room), but hey, i own both so i obviously love both. fyi, the s class also has the same active technologies (aka active blind spot assist and active lane keeping assist), not to mention extra tech goodies like color adjustable ambient lighting, more LED modules up front, more massage options, infrared reflecting glass, active body control (option), and of course, standard rear side airbags in comparison to the e. if you've made up your mind, good luck with your next purchase! whatever you choose, it will no doubt be incredibly safe
Old 01-17-2012, 08:09 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by amaycg
There are many reasons why the S class tops the E (the comfort and materials in the S is unparalleled! i love the legroom in the back of the s (i also have the 8 way power adjustable rear seats and side window shades); in comparison, the e has like barely any room), but hey, i own both so i obviously love both. fyi, the s class also has the same active technologies (aka active blind spot assist and active lane keeping assist), not to mention extra tech goodies like color adjustable ambient lighting, more LED modules up front, more massage options, infrared reflecting glass, active body control (option), and of course, standard rear side airbags in comparison to the e. if you've made up your mind, good luck with your next purchase! whatever you choose, it will no doubt be incredibly safe
damnit! why do I want an class now, LOL
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
The S is obviously the flagship, but to some it's not really an option. Firstly, it's so gigantic, IMO the drive felt too limousine like, i.e like you need to have people in the back/you're chauffering. 2: It almost drives too "maturely". 3: To some people, the look may be a bit dated compared to the E, which offers a newer form of the design language started by the S (i.e, not entirely different designs, instead the E resembling the W221's design language yet evolving it). Also, the E has many traits of the S, but in a "tighter" or even slightly "sportier" package. I wanted a W221 before my W212, but I went with the E. I also had a W220 and when I got my W211, I preferred it, I guess I'm just an "E Guy". As far as luxury and amenities, of course the S can't (and shouldn't) be touched, but the E is a little more advanced in terms of the structure and bones of which it consists of, from my gatherings.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Well, I might be joining the W212 series sooner than I thought. My W211 was totaled last night in a wreck. Mercedes just earned a customer for life because there is no way my gf and I should have walked away from this wreck. Pictures coming tomorrow...

Stay safe everyone and remember to look both ways when going through an intersection. I was drilled by a Suburban on the driver's side at 40mph and it took the FD an hour to cut me out. 16yo kid blew a red and never even hit his brakes.

For pics, please visit this Picasa link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1102561...50970997367938
Wow thats crazy, very happy to hear you and your girlfriend are okay!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
I'm so happy you both survived in good shape. Even with the car's wonderful protective measures and the vehicle remaining relatively intact, occupants can still sustain lethal injuries. For example, I've seen ruptured aortas in more than one case involving high impact T-bones.

From your pictures, it appears the car's frame was not even bent or at least not signficantly bent. If that's correct, it's amazing.

Glad you're still with us!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 576 Likes on 431 Posts
W212 FL
W212 is surely the best looking car for me . I prefer it over any car including S Class . Interior is cool too . I like wood trim around the door panels as well
Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2011 W212 Previous: 2008 W211 2006 550 2001 Rover 1997 W210
Like everyone else, it is good to hear you are okay.

I actually had a near miss like yours a while back. I'm sitting at a red waiting for it to turn green. Turns green, and I start going forward and I noticed an oncoming car going west - east. If I had not been paying attention and stopped, I would have definitely been t-boned and probably dead.

I also posted a similar post sometime back, thanking MB for saving the lives of me and my family in a different incident about 10 years ago.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...our-lives.html
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I think I want a 2012 E550 sedan but I'm already having trouble finding the combo I want.

Steel grey, ash interior, black maple trim, P2.
So glad to hear you and your girlfriend are okay. Based on crash tests I was a bit concerned about the W211's side impact capability (missed one star in a test...) but your experience demonstrates the car is built properly to keep you safe.

As for the W212 may I suggest that you order exactly the car you want and do European Delivery? It will be a well deserved "Mercedes vacation" for you and your girlfriend + when you pick up your car optioned exactly the way you want you could probably request to shake the hand of one of the engineers who designed the W211 that kept you safe.

Drive safely and take care!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
So glad to hear you and your girlfriend are okay. Based on crash tests I was a bit concerned about the W211's side impact capability (missed one star in a test...) but your experience demonstrates the car is built properly to keep you safe.

As for the W212 may I suggest that you order exactly the car you want and do European Delivery? It will be a well deserved "Mercedes vacation" for you and your girlfriend + when you pick up your car optioned exactly the way you want you could probably request to shake the hand of one of the engineers who designed the W211 that kept you safe.

Drive safely and take care!
Great suggestion but the W211 is the only car I had unfortunately. That means I need to get in another car as soon as possible. Currently have a Jeep Patriot as rental for 30 days before I have to pay for it.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Good to hear that everyone's OK.Safety was a big selling point for me with MB which is,for example,why I insisted on Distronic and the optional airbags.I'd be curious to hear exactly what features your W211 had....Distronic?....Pre-Safe?...extra airbags?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Great suggestion but the W211 is the only car I had unfortunately. That means I need to get in another car as soon as possible. Currently have a Jeep Patriot as rental for 30 days before I have to pay for it.
Obligatory statement - "that'll buff right out."

A few comments of substance.

The other guy's insurance company is obligated to put you into a "equivalent" rental for the duration of the repair or disposition.

In a major accident like this you need to get legal advice now. Before you spend lots of time talking to insurance companies. You will get screwed unless you get legal advice.

You are settling for less now driving an Enterprise loaner Patriot. You'll ultimately settle for less when it comes time to determine a fair price for your 350 and you - or your health insurance - will end up paying medical bills. If you are dealing with your insurance company, then you'll end up paying your deductible and hoping for reimbursement.

Do yourself, your GF and your car a favor and get immediate legal advice - preferrably from one of those shyster lawyers on daytime TV - they'll be thrilled to get a client who has a legitimate case and can form coherent sentences.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 4matic
Originally Posted by CEB
In a major accident like this you need to get legal advice now. Before you spend lots of time talking to insurance companies. You will get screwed unless you get legal advice.
Absolutely! The insurance company does *not* have your best interest at heart.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, nor have I ever played one on TV.

Last edited by reckrab; 01-19-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: ommited word
Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by reckrab
Absolutely! The insurance company does not have your best interest at heart.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, nor have I ever played one on TV.
Fixed it for you.

I'm not a lawyer either and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but any accident that totals a car and requires a trip to the hospital requires immediate legal advice.

The insurance company's motto is "we'll give you trade in value of your car" but that doesn't come close to your losses.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
^^^ What they said. + Never sign anything that disclaims future responsibility for anything that might develop physically as a result of this accident in the future... i.e. you get back or neck pains 6 months from now...

I think you should spec out an E550 just the way you want and have them pay for it AND cover your rental car (similar to E550 or at least E350) cost until you get the car you ordered. Some MB dealerships actually rent out MB cars... You never entered into a contract with them that if their idiot driver totals your car that you will only accept 30 days of rental car coverage. They should cover for your transportation until you are able to find exactly the car with the exact options you want to replace the car their driver destroyed. This is before any considerations for pain, suffering, trauma, etc., from the accident.

I was rear ended once and the insurance company tried to put me in a tiny little compact when I was very fair and just wanted them to pay to fix my car and not even deal with my back pains. I was so annoyed that I told them unless they put me in a comparable car they can continue this discussion with an attorney and they obliged.

If the insurance companies get burned enough letting 16 year old kids be insured to drive land yachts maybe they'll only insure them driving smaller cars until they figure out what they are doing...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^ What they said. + Never sign anything that disclaims future responsibility for anything that might develop physically as a result of this accident in the future... i.e. you get back or neck pains 6 months from now...

I think you should spec out an E550 just the way you want and have them pay for it AND cover your rental car (similar to E550 or at least E350) cost until you get the car you ordered. Some MB dealerships actually rent out MB cars... You never entered into a contract with them that if their idiot driver totals your car that you will only accept 30 days of rental car coverage. They should cover for your transportation until you are able to find exactly the car with the exact options you want to replace the car their driver destroyed. This is before any considerations for pain, suffering, trauma, etc., from the accident.

I was rear ended once and the insurance company tried to put me in a tiny little compact when I was very fair and just wanted them to pay to fix my car and not even deal with my back pains. I was so annoyed that I told them unless they put me in a comparable car they can continue this discussion with an attorney and they obliged.

If the insurance companies get burned enough letting 16 year old kids be insured to drive land yachts maybe they'll only insure them driving smaller cars until they figure out what they are doing...
The thirty day rental comes from his insurance company - which was his first mistake.

Since the fault appears to have been the other driver's, the OP should have filed his claim with the responsible party's insurance and not his own. He should have advised them of the accident and referred any questions to his lawyer.

The OP's health insurance company can actually recover any costs from the OP who would then need to sue the responsible insurance company.

Whenever there is an injury or a total loss, the first step must be to get legal advice
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by CEB
Whenever there is an injury or a total loss, the first step must be to get legal advice
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by CEB
Nope,where injuries occur the first step is medical advice.*Then* contact a lawyer.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
Originally Posted by listerone
Nope,where injuries occur the first step is medical advice.*Then* contact a lawyer.

This is usually done while the ambulance is taking you the hospital. Sad but true.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, the first step is to have someone call for an ambulance, cops, secure the scene to prevent further injury and so forth - but you knew that.

The goal of your insurance company is to pay out as little of their own money as possible. It is OK if you pay your deductible and if it is too much trouble to recover that from the other insurance company then that is OK too - as long as they aren't paying all is fine. Their next interest is to not take the other insurance company to the cleaners. Whatever you'll settle for is good enough for them. If your satisfied with a Jeep Patriot then they are fine with that. If you're OK with paying for it on day 31 then that's great. It is easier for them to convince you that trade-in, average condition is all you'll get rather than fight the other company for a fair value. Insurance companies know the rules and what they can get away with - you dont.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by captj3
This is usually done while the ambulance is taking you the hospital. Sad but true.
I worked for years in the ER of a large hospital.On several occasions that I witnessed we had incidents where representatives of ambulance chasing lawyers were giving out business cards in the waiting room.Dealing with them was a surprisingly sticky situation.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

I worked for years in the ER of a large hospital.On several occasions that I witnessed we had incidents where representatives of ambulance chasing lawyers were giving out business cards in the waiting room.Dealing with them was a surprisingly sticky situation.
The problem with ambulance chasers is that they too, are the scum of the earth and will take ny case - merit or no merit is immaterial.

In this case, it appears that the OP needs legal advice to protect his interests. I hope that the fact that the OP hasn't been here in a while means that he has spoken with a lawyer.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Also while we are on the topic if another driver who is at fault hits you, I think it is better to always get the other driver's insurance information and deal directly with the other person's insurance company. I feel you can demand and likely get more this way to make you whole (make sure you are put back in a similar car with a similar car to drive in the meantime...) as you always have the option of unleashing an attorney at them if they are not being fair. When it is your own insurance company they can always say that certain provisions like rental car period was agreed by you when you accepted their policy and when you deal with the other person's insurance company you have no such agreement with them...

Having said all this I think the most important thing is that the OP and his GF are safe and healthy. Everything else is material and can be replaced and in the grand scheme of things is not a big deal. I think this discussion is about how to make sure the OP is treated fairly and made whole.

I know that god forbid I am in an accident and my E550 is totaled there is no way I will just accept the KBB value for the car as I'd want a car with the same color combination and the same options... (It took me MONTHS to find a E550 with silver exterior, light interior, P2, Pano, no low profile "lily tires," etc.,) Does anyone know if there is a legal argument for this? Basically I don't want a check but I'd want "may car" back...

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 01-21-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:30 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also while we are on the topic if another driver who is at fault hits you, I think it is better to always get the other driver's insurance information and deal directly with the other person's insurance company. I feel you can demand demand and likely get more this way to make you whole (make sure you are put back in a similar car with a similar car to drive in the meantime...) as you always have the option of unleashing an attorney at them if they are not being fair. When it is your own insurance company they can always say that certain provisions like rental car period was agreed by you when you accepted their policy and when you deal with the other person's insurance company you have no such agreement with them...

Having said all this I think the most important thing is that the OP and his GF are safe and healthy. Everything else is material and can be replaced and in the grand scheme of this not a big deal. I think this discussion is about how to make sure the OP is treated fairly and made whole.

I know that god forbid I am in an accident and my E550 is totaled there is no way I will just accept the KBB value for the car as I'd want a car with the same color combination and the same options... Does anyone know if there is a legal argument for this?
Absolutely correct.

Going with your insurance company binds you to their agreement with them. You have no agreement with the other party so the rules of fairness apply. If you wrap your car around a tree then your insurance company can give you KBB. If somebody else hits you then they need to make you whole - put you into an equivalent car.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
As my GF and I are now feeling almost 100% with no real injuries I have decided not to go after the at fault driver's insurance company. I have since spoken to a lawyer and according to him I have done everything correctly. I could essentially go after them for pain and suffering which has amounted to in reality about a week. I do not feel comfortable or entitled to a large sum of money. I do feel I have a right to receive fair money for my 2009 E550 which I've been offered 40k for. Pretty fair imo. At this point, I simply want my clothes covered as the ER literally cut them all off my body with a scissors.

My only other concern at this point is what to do about a new car. I'm having some trouble finding what I want for what I can afford. I bought my 2009 E550 for 47k with 2k on the clock which was 21k off sticker. Now that the W212 is out, I cannot get anything remotely close to that sort of savings. We'll see what happens on that front but at the end of the day I feel like as long as I get fair money for my wrecked car and compensated for the clothes etc, then we're all square again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Saved My Life