Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by mattbta
Our 2009 C350 had this problem. Multiple trips to the dealer never really fixed it. So far in 2500 miles, the 2012 E350C does not exhibit the behavior, but we're waiting until full blown Dallas summer to make full judgement. Hopefully it is fixed by this model year.
Our 2012 GLK lives about 100 miles east of you. Standing by for summer. Not really. Summer is brutal.

Wayne
Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by LaicepsYdobon
Like K-A, I had two W211s before my W212 and MB acknowledged the "stinky A/C" problem of the past generation E-Class. The reason for this was that the discharge hose, the hose where the condensation from the A/C unit exits, was designed to not drain fully but to capture a small amount of discharged water. If this trapped discharge did not evaporate on its own it allowed bacteria to grow and produce mildew at the end of the discharge tube which spread all the way up to the filter. If mildew was present and the A/C unit was turned on it would permeate through the cabin producing a pungent stench but would eventually stop after a few minutes after enough air passed through the system to blow most of the mildew out of the air vents into the cabin (I know; yuck !). This was more prominent in the spring where people's A/Cs were not used all winter and the mildew had enough time to grow. If you only had mild mildew buildup it was enough to run the A/C a few times (for maybe 2-3 days) and have all the mildew out but in some more severe cases a trip to the dealer would be necessary if you were not handy with a can of fungicide. On the W211 E-Class under the glove box (or maybe through the glove box ?) would be the access point to get into the A/C system and the dealer would replace the old filter for the A/C unit there and also spray some anti-fungal foam into the tubes to kill all mildew spores leaving you with a fresh smelling A/C unit.

After receiving enough complaints MB redesigned the A/C discharge hose on the W212 and currently extracted water does not get trapped inside the hose but drains out of the car almost immediately. While I'm not saying it is impossible to get mildew in the W212's air vents it certainly is much harder then it was to get it on the W211. Search around on YouTube and you will see that every manufacturer is affected by this at some point or another. YouTube will also have videos to show you how to spray the fungicide on your particular model of car. The easiest way to prevent mildew buildup in your A/C unit is to run some warm, dry air about once a week through it to keep those air pipes dry.
Good info! The HVAC unit in W211's are damn stank! Now I know why.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
Originally Posted by amaycg
Take advantage of your Audi discounts and get the new A6! Beats the E in a some areas, specifically technology and exterior design
I've had the AC mildew smell on all my previous and current MB's

I considered the 2012 A6, and have drove one pleny of times. The residuals on the new A6 Prestige are not very good. The E Class would save me a lot of money, even with my employee discount. I'm also looking at a S4, and the 2013 A4/S4s are getting a facelift, so I'd be stuck with the old look. Which I don't want. Greenway Mercedes and Sugarland Mercedes are both giving me employee pricing, even though I work for a competitor. One of the perks of being in the car industry..
Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Cool

Originally Posted by veerodder
I considered the 2012 A6, and have drove one pleny of times. The residuals on the new A6 Prestige are not very good. The E Class would save me a lot of money, even with my employee discount. I'm also looking at a S4, and the 2013 A4/S4s are getting a facelift, so I'd be stuck with the old look. Which I don't want. Greenway Mercedes and Sugarland Mercedes are both giving me employee pricing, even though I work for a competitor. One of the perks of being in the car industry..
How would you rate Sugarland Mercedes for quality & cost of service? I plan to do some comparison shopping while I'm still in Houston. Star is #1 on my list for convenience and high regards from someone here at work. Sugarland would be next based on proximity. Thanks!

Wayne
Old 01-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
I'm still in the early phase of my shopping. I test drove with them last weekend, and they seemed very eager to earn my business. They said any offer I get from greenway they will match or beat? But greenway has the exact car I'm looking for in transit and will be there in 2 weeks. I'm still going to give sugarland a chance once I get my final lease quote from greenway for the in transit E350.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
My 2010 w212 had/has the stink. Per the sa, the drain is fine otherwise there would be water in the pass. footwell. They replaced the cabin air filter, early, and the stink went away, for now. The sa told me that in humid climates, the ac coils are almost always wet and because of that, mold grows and that's what stinks. It's a shame they can't figure out a way to design that problem out. No other car I have owned has demonstrated this. In any event, and as some have suggested, running the blower w/o the ac on may help dry things out and keep the stink away.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes E350 RWD, 1999 Olds Alero
When first engaging the AC it smells like toe jam. Not overpowering but I noticed it. Maybe it will go away after awhile. I had forgotten about this issue because I haven't used the AC. The only bad thing about the car.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Clean you evaporator...here's how...from a local Hawaii car guru...

http://www.georgenitta.com/Evaporator.htm

I did this on my Lexus years ago...it worked...smell gone...Good luck.

Pete
Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 c350 sedan
that seems to be good advice, did you see the suggestion about mothballs for increased octane and better fuel mileage?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM
MCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
For those of you in Houston, go to Star Motors. They will blow away Sugarland or Greenway. Small dealership that pays cash for all their cars from MB - no financing. They have a little more wiggle room on sale price...at least that is what I have been told. They treat me right.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM

2011 E550W - White/Almond, P2 Pkg, Pano Roof, Driver Dynamic Seat, Sport Pkg, Rear Spoiler
Hi from Katy, TX (West Houston),

My 2011 E550 has the same nasty AC smell too. Wife cant stand it, I thought an animal had died in there. SugarLand dealer says change cabin filter, reading here, seems temp fix. Not sure what I can do to fix this.

As for dealers, I bought this car from Ken at SurgarLand and recommend him. Stay as far away from Greenway, and I have not known Star to negotiate much. ARod Benz in South Houston has taken great care of me in the past too.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:55 PM

2012 Mercedes E350 RWD, 1999 Olds Alero
Thanks PH, I will try that.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by acela11
that seems to be good advice, did you see the suggestion about mothballs for increased octane and better fuel mileage?
Mind you there are 2 types of mothballs...make sure you use the correct one specified...it has to contain naphthalene. I have NEVER done this before, but I know the older generation above me had or still does it. My uncle did this before....and my neighbor continues to do this, although he does not drop the mothball directly into his fuel tank...he has a 5 gallon external tank at home which he drops the mothballs in there, and when dissolves, he pours it into his cars...cheap way for higher octane.

Originally Posted by paulkchoi
Thanks PH, I will try that.
Lmk how it works out...you should check your cabin filter as well...either replace the filter or clean it with that spray.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
I recently had a dealer claim this isn't a warranty covered issue. This is pretty disturbing to hear as it appears to be a pretty common problem. I had hoped they'd do the right thing and fix my issue.

Has anyone had this issue and complained of it within warranty? If so, please PM me. We need to look into our alternatives here. Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
You have cross-posted this on two separate threads.

Please see the answer on the thread "A/C smells like feet"