E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Button on the Console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
PM sent. Might have a friend who can help. Drives a C63 and has that same switch also. P
Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Im interested in doing something similar as well. I know this post has been dead for a few years, but maybe we can bring it back.

Im wondering if I can pull the console out, take it apart, and retrofit 3 more of the same switches -- in US, the sunshade switch -- by cutting the blanks out, and replacing them with the extra shade switches... and then use them for things like LR or hardwired dash cameras.

I know that the US console may not have the space for 3 switches, but if i were to import the Euro console, i could use the 3 functioning buttons already installed -- even if the features aren't equipped. I don't see a reason why the button wouldn't be eligible to work for something else.

Im going to attempt to pull the unit apart and see what I find... worst case scenario I can just get a new OEM sunshade console off eBay for 50 bucks...
Old 01-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'17 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by myrison
As info for anyone else trying to do this, I talked to my dealer today and was told that the only way you can replace these (from MB at least) is to order the entire panel containing the row of switches below the radio. This includes the horizontal section with the buttons for the seat heaters, rear shade, etc.

The part runs ~$300, but the parts guy wasn't sure that buying a new panel with additional functional buttons would be a good idea given that the entire panel connects via wiring harness, and if your car doesn't have the functions in it that are expected for a given panel with a given set of buttons, he wasn't sure what would happen.

It could be making the connection to the harness is as simple as snipping/soldering a couple of wires to a different connection, however he wasn't sure without someone actually trying it. For $300 and no guarantee of it working, I decided just to mount my switch under my dash, and skip the use of the factory buttons. I love the idea, but am not sure if it would work. If anyone has luck with this in the future please post back as I'd be interested to know how you did it.
This is due to the switch panel being CAN-BUS based. I have the same issue in my dd ('12 Ram 2500 Cummins). Found out when I pulled the dash panel & row of switches. Popped one of the blanks off thinking I could replace it w/ my own OEM-looking switch, but the guts of the entire switch panel are a single circuit board. Gone are the days of individual circuits...I guess it's still plausible if you know how (or someone) that can reprogram that portion of the CAN-BUS.