ECO start/stop feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Originally Posted by davidjohnbamber
As I understand the operation of ECO, it requires the aux battery that powers the starter to be almost fully charged to engage ECO, along with multiple other pre-requisites. When I owned a 2014 E350, it rarely would operate because my driving was basically all short trips. (3 to 5 miles) After a fault code started appearing at startup the battery was replaced. ECO would then operate after driving 5 +- miles. It would stop/start the engine once until driven further.
You are right but I want to add that my 2014 E350 stop starts midway during most days of my commute which is exactly 5 miles one way. I had the aux battery replaced under warranty last year though.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
Thanks for your input. That sounds more normal to me than what I am experiencing. My ECO start/stop feature does not become active until i drive a minimum of 10 miles. Usually more like 15-18 miles. I'm sure thats not right. When I take it in I'm sure they will see what I am talking about. I sure hope they dont test drive it until the green ECO light comes on becasue that will be a LONG test drive.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
Just to throw a curve ball, my ECO has taken to turning itself back ON after I switch off! Happened twice yesterday. Switch it off shortly after starting out, confirm green light out, and within a half hour or so when I come to a stop in traffic (not the first stop) the engine quits. Look at dash and see ECO green light back on. Switch it off, engine starts back up and all is good until engine turned off and re-started later same day, then scenario repeats.

My biggest concern is if this is a software glitch, whats to say it won't just kill the engine while I'm driving!?!?! Called M-B customer relations who could only advise there are no recalls for that issue. Next stop is the local dealer.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by dbldpr
There is a fuse in the trunk I have been told that is for the ECO button. If you pull it, it will only disconnect the ECO. I am sure you get a code but you do not have to press it anymore. The module I have just presses the button for me every time I get into the car with no fault codes.
I am interested in hearing more about the module defeats the ECO button