E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E350 Sport-Which type of gas to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mercedes E350 RWD, 1999 Olds Alero
The only gas that I use is Shell, Mobil, or Exxon. If Toyota thinks they are the best then that's good enough for me. What octane to put your car, it's very simple, what the car manufacturer recommends.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
asdas
The OP's question has a good technical answer. I don't see why people are questioning his wisdom or frugality. Maybe like most people, including myself, he doesn't know every why and how of engine technology.

Our cars have very high compression. High compression motors and/or forced induction cars are prone to pre-detonation due to high cylinder pressures. Therefore, premium is required, not only recommended. Whether you want to take into account some people saying they've gotten away using a lower octane is up to you.

If you had a low compression car, you could switch back and forth between 87 and 100 octane as your wallet and whim saw fit.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
To note, higher Octane ISN'T always better. You gotta put in what a car requires. I used to have a Mustang GT, which had a low compression ratio.... putting in higher octane was in fact harmful, as the motor potentially could have trouble burning such a high octane, not to mention, loss of performance due to that, loss of efficiency, and build up.

This has nothing to do with Horsepower. If M-B designs this car to run optimally on 91, i.e high compression, etc. then putting in anything less forces the computer to LOWER THE TIMING. Which means that you are not getting the cars full Horsepower and Gas Mileage efficiency. The $150 peanuts or so you'll save a year, actually might not be savings at all, as the car will get worse MPG.

On the subject of buying ex-Leased cars, it's kind of "funny", as I was talking with a guy that I know who just Leased a 2012 E350. Said he's gonna put 80K Miles on it, beat the sh** out of it, already floors it constantly (brand new, not broken in yet), and then have his "guys" turn the mileage back before he returns the Lease.

.... The reasons to buy New keep adding up! Lol.

Last edited by K-A; 03-13-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by K-A
On the subject of buying ex-Leased cars, it's kind of "funny", as I was talking with a guy that I know who just Leased a 2012 E350. Said he's gonna put 80K Miles on it, beat the sh** out of it, already floors it constantly (brand new, not broken in yet), and then have his "guys" turn the mileage back before he returns the Lease.
Please let us know how that works out for your friend Ferris.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by K-A

.... The reasons to buy New keep adding up! Lol.
I hope your friend never needs to take his car to a mercedes dealer because if that mileage is recorded for a service or maintenance visit, he won't need a car where he'll be residing
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Please let us know how that works out for your friend Ferris.

I know people who do it, but it cost about $1,500 on 2010-2012 models. You need to purchase new ignition lock, uninstall original and put new one in. Original will remember the mileage at that time and when you put it back - guys override computers with the mileage from this lock.
I personally would not do it because : first - you can't go to a dealer to fix any problem that covered by warranty and second - they can easily find whatever you did if they want. That was very popular option to do in 90's, but today I would skip this and just take a lease with extra miles allowance.
And last - it's a federal crime. If they caught you -you may have many problems and can forget about leasing any car for a long time.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Wrong Times Two

I used to be in gasoline business for a long time and all of your comments about BP is better than Shell or Sunoco better than Uncle Sams whatever...is nothing but your imagination. All types of gasoline coming from the same refineries and the same equipment prepares all of them. Independent Gas Station can have Amoco gasoline in their tanks and it will be no worse than any Amoco station purchase.

NOBODY will care how you babied your car.

Happy driving to all of you.[/quote]
I know the manager of a local distributorship and owner of large independent retailer who sells gasoline at his convenience stores and transports for most brands in this area. Also, toured the local tank farm.
There IS a difference. It's in the additives that are added to the truck before it pulls out. Each brand specifies type and quantity to add to their fuel-or none at all for cheap gas.

Furthermore, each time I have traded my cars or sold them, the purchaser noted how well maintained they were, how clean, etc. The price they gave me was consistent with the care I had given the car. With Carfax, how you care for your car shows up even more. My last car was advertised on national site as "exceptionally well maintained and cared for by previous owner."
Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Furthermore, each time I have traded my cars or sold them, the purchaser noted how well maintained they were, how clean, etc. The price they gave me was consistent with the care I had given the car. With Carfax, how you care for your car shows up even more. My last car was advertised on national site as "exceptionally well maintained and cared for by previous owner."

Good for you that you believe in that stuff. It makes your life a lot easier , but show me any retailer, that will say that the car's previous owner was neglecting and abusing it? Have you ever thought about it?
Also...CarFax does not show stuff you do for your car, especially which gas you put in. If you go to MB for regular maintenance and there is no accident's history - you are the best for CarFax.

Last edited by aeggroup; 03-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by aeggroup
I know people who do it, but it cost about $1,500 on 2010-2012 models. You need to purchase new ignition lock, uninstall original and put new one in. Original will remember the mileage at that time and when you put it back - guys override computers with the mileage from this lock.
I personally would not do it because : first - you can't go to a dealer to fix any problem that covered by warranty and second - they can easily find whatever you did if they want. That was very popular option to do in 90's, but today I would skip this and just take a lease with extra miles allowance.
And last - it's a federal crime. If they caught you -you may have many problems and can forget about leasing any car for a long time.
I probably shouldn't be saying this, but apparently the mileage is also collected on the door handles.

I'd never tamper with the mileage, absolutely stupid! For the OBVIOUS reasons, like being an even merely decent human being, however otherwise, not only does it cost a lot (around $1,500), but if you get caught, you're absolutely f'ed. My freedom isn't worth a price. That's what money is for! To keep your a$$ from doing stupid things that will take you away from it!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:24 AM

E350
Originally Posted by Dema
It can run on lower grade fuel just nice. However average driver save only $50 a year using lower grade, it is just one trip to a restaurant for me. From other side people report worse mileage on lower gade fuel, so maybe you spend more than save? Please try 87 and then share result with us, because this question is coming again and again. When I git C loaner SA told me I can use 87 for refueling so I believe C class uses same engine.
Exactly! I just bought mine almost a month ago. And, I would not chance going lower than the standard. You've made quite an investment in your mode of transportation, hobby, toy or otherwise. Nothing less than 91.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by dundermifflin
Brand new to Mercedes. Just picked up my E350 Sport Sedan (2012) three days ago. Although 91 octane is recommended by MB, in reality what do most use for this vehicle? Will 89 be okay?

Also, are there any suggested sites out there that give tutorials on the COMMAND system?

Thanks,
Shawn
The recommended octane rating comes from the engineers who designed and built the car. No one knows the engine better, NO ONE.

As a retired engineer, I can tell you that I would find it offensive and arrogant, not to mention foolish, for someone to second guess my recommendations on one of our products.

Such recommendations are not made lightly. They are made to maintain the integrity of the product and assure it meets its design specifications including its designed life span.

The MB engines are incredibly well engineered and will take a lot of abuse. They will, no doubt, survive the first owner on lower octane fuel. But, if you can't respect the MB's engineering then you don't deserve to be driving one, IMHO.

Regards,
Don
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by dundermifflin
Brand new to Mercedes. Just picked up my E350 Sport Sedan (2012) three days ago. Although 91 octane is recommended by MB, in reality what do most use for this vehicle? Will 89 be okay?

Also, are there any suggested sites out there that give tutorials on the COMMAND system?

Thanks,
Shawn
Do you have a problem reading english?? The manual and all MB publications say 91 Octane minimum. Why on earth would you want to know if 89 is OK ?
Only someone who is extremely cheap would even consider doing that. Damage will occurr doing so after an extended period of use.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

2011 E350 Cab, 2010 B200
I'm embarrassed to share the OP's first name!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by dfordham
The recommended octane rating comes from the engineers who designed and built the car. No one knows the engine better, NO ONE.

As a retired engineer, I can tell you that I would find it offensive and arrogant, not to mention foolish, for someone to second guess my recommendations on one of our products.

Such recommendations are not made lightly. They are made to maintain the integrity of the product and assure it meets its design specifications including its designed life span.

The MB engines are incredibly well engineered and will take a lot of abuse. They will, no doubt, survive the first owner on lower octane fuel. But, if you can't respect the MB's engineering then you don't deserve to be driving one, IMHO.

Regards,
Don
Not to mention, you know the bean counters were lobbying to get M-B to allow for Regular Gas, as in this day and age, with rising gas prices, lots of people will not buy a car that requires Premium (true story), so it can only hurt M-B's sales. The fact that they maintain a 91 minimum rating in this day, says a lot.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My car has 30K miles on it and today on the way to work first time in its short life I put 93 in the tank. It'll be interesting to see if I'll notice any difference. Just because of you guys ))
Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 621 Likes on 468 Posts
W212 FL
It's also advertised that premium gives you more MPG than regular gas so you pay more at the gas station but you can get better fuel efficieny in return . I have tried premium gas in our rides and regular gas too . I have not noticed any longer range per tank
Old 03-14-2012, 02:57 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've been trying a special blend of gas, sunflower seed oil and brined banana peels and I gotta say......my car isn't running so well, and my gas mileage has really dropped too

WTF you know?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I've been trying a special blend of gas, sunflower seed oil and brined banana peels and I gotta say......my car isn't running so well, and my gas mileage has really dropped too

WTF you know?
I can't wait 'till we can run on ObamaAlgae!

Regards,
Don