E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550
Old 06-05-2015, 01:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

CAR WASH TIPS??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Oh for those contemplating the best glass cleaner, try Sprayway. It is ammonia free and the best stuff I've found to eliminate streaks and drys quick. I'm picky about the high gloss surfaces on my HD TV's and this is the only product than can do it quick without 30 swipes with a towel.http://www.autogeek.net/spglcl.html?...FWuHtgod-RfByA

Last edited by RNBRAD; 03-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Oh for those contemplating the best glass cleaner, try Sprayway. It is ammonia free and the best stuff I've found to eliminate streaks and drys quick. I'm picky about the high gloss surfaces on my HD TV's and this is the only product than can do it quick without 30 swipes with a towel.http://www.autogeek.net/spglcl.html?...FWuHtgod-RfByA
reviews look pretty good. just to let you guys know, home depot is cheaper on this product. here is the link: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
Just pick it up at Wal-Mart.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by RNBRAD
Just pick it up at Wal-Mart.
couldn't find it online. could be in store only .
Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
Re: Staggered Wheel set up and Car Wash (Conveyors)

Guys, I had my E39 M5 for about 9 years and I had to replace some suspension parts (Genuine BMW) repeatedly. I'm in the Toronto area and during the Winter months I would use the Automated Car Washes (Conveyor-Type) as the Touchless always leaves residue and doesn't clean the car properly. I noticed over time as well even with the tire protectors, the rims would get scratched and scuffed.
I took my E63 through one when I bought it and when I told my cousin (who has the M5 now), he told me that those conveyor-type car washes are bad for vehicles with staggered wheel set ups as the front wheels line up on entry and the rear wheels (wider track) are not following the same line and are actually dragging against the rails.
So now I use the Shell Soft-Cloth (not Touchless) Automated Car Wash as the car remains stationary and the the Wash's Mechanism moves around the car to clean it. Hope this helps some of you, I'm not sure if this contributed to the suspension problems, but I'd like to think so.

Last edited by MrTnT; 05-04-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
No problem

Originally Posted by MrTnT
Guys, I had my E39 M5 for about 9 years and I had to replace some suspension parts (Genuine BMW) repeatedly. I'm in the Toronto area and during the Winter months I would use the Automated Car Washes (Conveyor-Type) as the Touchless always leaves residue and doesn't clean the car properly. I noticed over time as well even with the tire protectors, the rims would get scratched and scuffed.
I took my E63 through one when I bought it and when I told my cousin (who has the M5 now), he told me that those conveyor-type car washes are bad for vehicles with staggered wheel set ups as the front wheels line up on entry and the rear wheels (wider track) are not following the same line and are actually dragging against the rails.
So now I use the Shell Soft-Cloth (not Touchless) Automated Car Wash as the car remains stationary and the the Wash's Mechanism moves around the car to clean it. Hope this helps some of you, I'm not sure if this contributed to the suspension problems, but I'd like to think so.
Been using a conveyor type car wash for decades. At least three different ones and never had any problems. Just checked the wheels and tires on my three vehicles - no defects. Including the 15 year old RAV4 that's been going to automatic car washes its whole life.
Just got the MB washed today and confuses the attendants when I sit in the car until they drive it off to the conveyor. I just get an exterior wash and wax. Explained to them about the stupid MB requirement that the recirculation be engaged before it is turned off.
For those who missed earlier posts, Operators Manual requires that recirculation be engaged before car goes through an automated car wash. However, when you turn the car off, the recirculation disengages after about 5-10 minutes or when you restart the car. Really dumb design.
So, I start the car and engage recirc. right before they drive it to conveyor
Old 05-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550
Recirculation of the ventilation system needs to be engaged before going through and automatic car wash?

Any idea why? I have not heard that before about Mercedes and I haven't heard that with other cars.

I have read a good bit of the manual, but I admit I never read that but there are a lot of other things I have missed I am sure.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Under section on washing the car

Originally Posted by SLpat
Recirculation of the ventilation system needs to be engaged before going through and automatic car wash?

Any idea why? I have not heard that before about Mercedes and I haven't heard that with other cars.

I have read a good bit of the manual, but I admit I never read that but there are a lot of other things I have missed I am sure.
It's in manual for my 2010. I have contacted MBUSA and supposedly it is because the downward force and volume of the water may cause it to enter the ventilation system. I have never had another car from multiple manufacturers that required or even advised this. More of The Best or Nothing.
Wouldn't be so bad if the #$%& recirculation would remain engaged as in every other car made in the world.
I even did it back when I was handwashing the car.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by El Cid
It's in manual for my 2010. I have contacted MBUSA and supposedly it is because the downward force and volume of the water may cause it to enter the ventilation system. I have never had another car from multiple manufacturers that required or even advised this. More of The Best or Nothing.
Wouldn't be so bad if the #$%& recirculation would remain engaged as in every other car made in the world.
I even did it back when I was handwashing the car.
That is odd, and something dire enough to where you'd think you wouldn't have to read through the massive owners manual to find it out, not to mention how it's completely and oddly unlike other cars who require no such thing.

On my car, there's an "Auto Recirculate" button, which basically leaves it up to the computer as to when to switch back and forth from recirculate. It's by far the best recirculation-system I've used as you don't have to control when to switch back and forth yourself (unless you want to, then you can override it).
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I like my recirculate button......if there is a huge truck in front of me bellowing smoke or some kind of fool burning oil.....it's time for recirculate button
Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Auto is better

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I like my recirculate button......if there is a huge truck in front of me bellowing smoke or some kind of fool burning oil.....it's time for recirculate button
Had a 2007 Hyundai Azera and it came with an Air Quality feature that automatically engaged the recirc when it detected an odor and then disengaged when odor gone. It was amazing. It detected smoke, diesel fumes, etc.
Best part was it would engage before I even thought about it and then disengage.
Why can't Best or Nothing do this?
I use my recirc when behind smokey vehicles and other odors, but then forget to turn it off until long time later. Of course with MB, it auto cuts off at some point.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by El Cid
Had a 2007 Hyundai Azera and it came with an Air Quality feature that automatically engaged the recirc when it detected an odor and then disengaged when odor gone. It was amazing. It detected smoke, diesel fumes, etc.
Best part was it would engage before I even thought about it and then disengage.
Why can't Best or Nothing do this?
I use my recirc when behind smokey vehicles and other odors, but then forget to turn it off until long time later. Of course with MB, it auto cuts off at some point.
Wow, didn't know Hyundai was doing that in 2007. BMW's have also done that for some time.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
They need automatic fresh air when fart is detected inside.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by instantfob
They need automatic fresh air when fart is detected inside.
Maybe the W223? It's be of more use than the superfluous and kind of cheesball "Perfume dispenser".

"FreshAirFartCombatTronic" is actually something that could be of function. Maybe they can engineer it into the optional seat ventilation along with said dispenser.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
whenever the dealer asks if I'd like a courtesy wash my reply is always.....

no thanx it has enough swirl marks, but you could clean my wheels
Old 05-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'19 MBZ E450 Wagon, '19 BMW 530e
Originally Posted by K-A
Maybe the W223? It's be of more use than the superfluous and kind of cheesball "Perfume dispenser".

"FreshAirFartCombatTronic" is actually something that could be of function. Maybe they can engineer it into the optional seat ventilation along with said dispenser.
Better solution