E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2010 E550: Coupe vs Sedan? Also triptronic questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by alsyli
Yes, and a partnership would also presumably let you write off at least part of the cost of a leased car? (as opposed to getting a CPO)

At any rate, not to be mean, but have you done any research on the cars you're considering, aside from driving them and then asking for opinions here? You seem hung up on shift times, and you're asking people sell you on an E550 vs. E63 AMG vs. C63?

Not sure what kind of driving you're doing where that would matter or even add that much enjoyment to the car, but you're not going to find that in a mainstream MB. Auto magazines for good reason have CONSTANTLY refer to the lazy shifts in MBs (even engaging drive from reverse sometimes takes longer than expected), and they've been doing that for decades.

There are many reasons to buy an MB (pride of ownership, engineering, safety, resale value, ride/handling balance, interior fit and finish, overall drivability). Fast downshifts are not among the reasons....

And, as for finding a BMW w/ a manual transmission on the lot, good luck w/ that. You'd probably have to special order.

Get what you want (even if it's not an MB). And enjoy it. And don't worry about what any of us have to say ultimately, b/c we're just random people on a social forum! =)
+1. i was about to say it regarding the shifting "issue" but don't want to get killed by other mb drivers .
Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Originally Posted by BM2BZ
+1. i was about to say it regarding the shifting "issue" but don't want to get killed by other mb drivers .
I re-read my posts... it seems like I'm so hung up on shift times, but it's not like that. I just want a natural shift response... I don't need 100ms shift times.

The reason? When I drive the car, I'm going to be only driving in auto-manual the entire time (via paddles). If I feel that it is unnatural (i.e. sluggish), then it just kills the entire experience... I can't force myself to drive auto-manual if I don't believe it can replace the way I drive stick. It has to be sufficiently quick but not track quick.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by pinipig523
Given that, shift times are not listed on the website and it's hard to get a feel for it without driving the car itself or asking those who have (on this forum). Example, no mention of shift time given for the E550 on the mbusa site.
Uh, you're not getting my point. That kind of info isn't listed on the MB website b/c MB owners, in general, don't care about that information, and they likely never will. In day-to-day driving, what functional difference does a faster downshift make? You're obsessing over something (shift times in a LUXURY car) that's relatively meaningless. Even paddle shifters and manumatic modes are really more affectations that manufacturers add to satisfy the magazine writers.

IMHO, you don't choose a luxury sedan car b/c of its shift times. I don't know what kind of setting you're, but I can't imagine shift times "killing" the experience for someone, when the rest of the car (ANY car in the $50,000-60,000 range is going to be absolutely lovely) is so good.

You thought the GS was fine except for the power? You don't think a 300-hp car is powerful enough for daily driving?

Look, you're not just hung up on shift times. You're seeking automotive perfection. And I'm not sure what sort of issues shift times and horsepower are substituting for (and it's none of my business), but you're not going to find perfection or happiness in an E550, any AMG, or even a Panamera.... or in ANY car. ::shrug::

Focus on what's important in life.... And then shift times and horsepower won't seem that important. And you'll probably end up loving whatever you buy. Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by alsyli; 04-09-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I agree, the "shift times" hang up in a luxury car like an E Class is a bit odd. I can respect somebody seeking their own criteria nuances, but it just seems like O/P is cross shopping the wrong car here. The E550 is a powerful car, but it's still no sports car, and even with all that HP, in an E-Class, the motive above all others is for it to deliver smooth and effortless power, not provide exhilarating and connected feedback (that's the opposite of why people buy E's).

The whole point of an E-Class is to deliver a smooth ride with smooth and unnoticeable shifts. Snapping and quick shifts are contrary to the point, for the most part.

IMO, it sounds like you're trying to force yourself into the wrong car for you.

The 5-Series is known as this segments "Jack of all trades, master of none". It's not as sporty as the A6 or GS (can't believe a BMW isn't known to be as sporty as its Lexus counterpart, but it's the way it is now in this segment), and it's not as smooth and ultra solid/luxurious as the E-Class. It's kind of in between, and has comparable HP to its M-B counterparts, and an 8-Speed tranny that's known to be a little jolty and delayed upon takeoff, yet more snappy and I'm sure quicker reacting than the M-B tranny.

Last edited by K-A; 04-09-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Uh, you're not getting my point. That kind of info isn't listed on the MB website b/c MB owners, in general, don't care about that information, and they likely never will. In day-to-day driving, what functional difference does a faster downshift make? You're obsessing over something (shift times in a LUXURY car) that's relatively meaningless. Even paddle shifters and manumatic modes are really more affectations that manufacturers add to satisfy the magazine writers.

IMHO, you don't choose a luxury sedan car b/c of its shift times. I don't know what kind of setting you're, but I can't imagine shift times "killing" the experience for someone, when the rest of the car (ANY car in the $50,000-60,000 range is going to be absolutely lovely) is so good.

You thought the GS was fine except for the power? You don't think a 300-hp car is powerful enough for daily driving?

Look, you're not just hung up on shift times. You're seeking automotive perfection. And I'm not sure what sort of issues shift times and horsepower are substituting for (and it's none of my business), but you're not going to find perfection or happiness in an E550, any AMG, or even a Panamera.... or in ANY car. ::shrug::

Focus on what's important in life.... And then shift times and horsepower won't seem that important. And you'll probably end up loving whatever you buy. Just my 2 cents....
I am not looking for perfection, I just want to drive auto-manual on a daily basis without it feeling unnatural.

And yes, I feel that the GS is not powerful enough given that it is asking nearly 60K. At 60K, you are within striking range on an e550 which is significantly more powerful, you're also near an M3.

Is the GS powerful enough? Technically yes, but I think it is overpriced at 60K compared to the power that other cars offer at that price.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Is the GS powerful enough? Technically yes, but I think it is overpriced at 60K compared to the power that other cars offer at that price.
This makes it even more clear.

You're missing the whole point of this segment. Power isn't what dictates why these cars are priced where they are. I mean, the E350 with its 268 HP was slaughtering the competition who offered more power sometimes for less money, in sales. The 300 HP E350 now launched, and to prove that the buyers here don't determine HP as the ultimate "worth" of the cars they're shopping, sales are even down a tick.

I feel you need to figure out what you're really looking for.

I also recommend test driving a 335i. I drove a 328i and it's a very connected drive, and actually is surprisingly fast. The 335i I'm sure is gonna feel as fast if not faster than an E550 (at least the N/A version) and has "sportiness" determined more weightily in its (too high now) sticker price.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Originally Posted by K-A
This makes it even more clear.

You're missing the whole point of this segment. Power isn't what dictates why these cars are priced where they are. I mean, the E350 with its 268 HP was slaughtering the competition who offered more power sometimes for less money, in sales. The 300 HP E350 now launched, and to prove that the buyers here don't determine HP as the ultimate "worth" of the cars they're shopping, sales are even down a tick.

I feel you need to figure out what you're really looking for.

I also recommend test driving a 335i. I drove a 328i and it's a very connected drive, and actually is surprisingly fast. The 335i I'm sure is gonna feel as fast if not faster than an E550 (at least the N/A version) and has "sportiness" determined more weightily in its (too high now) sticker price.
I think I see your point.

You see, this exposes that I am not in familiar territory. I'm not used to this kind of car segment. Hence, my lack of better judgement.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

w212 E550
i think you are fairly happy w/your g37, have you thought about the m37 or m56?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I have both a 2011 535i and 2012 E350 bluetec. The new 5 series is probably what you are looking for. My car has the optional sport automatic, and the shifts are very quick and responsive... yet imperceptible in auto mode. BMW did an excellent job with this transmission programming and it rev-matches when you downshift. The MB is a very smooth 7 speed trans but the paddles do not rev match and are slower. Throttle response in the MB is more immediate as the BMW has a slight lag at takeoff.

I do however question your want/need to drive in manual mode ALL the time. I personally think you won't because these cars drive better in auto mode. In auto mode the transmissions shift smoother and you really only need the paddles to pass or upshift early under hard acceleration.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350BTC P2 Leather
Originally Posted by Kar don
I personally think you won't because these cars drive better in auto mode. In auto mode the transmissions shift smoother and you really only need the paddles to pass or upshift early under hard acceleration.
I have about 3000 miles on my new (to me) 11 Bluetec and I have never touched the paddles.

Going down a big hill, if I want to maintain speed, I set the cruise, and this car will amazingly keep the cruise speed even when the momentum of the car wants it to go faster.

What the heck would I need the paddles for?

Something tells me that I am a fairly typical MB customer who is happy with a transmission that does all the work for me. If I wanted to shift, I'd buy a Porsche.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO

I do however question your want/need to drive in manual mode ALL the time. I personally think you won't because these cars drive better in auto mode. In auto mode the transmissions shift smoother and you really only need the paddles to pass or upshift early under hard acceleration.
It's just my preference. Trying to keep the manual sensation and control over the revs. I will try the auto again and relegate the paddles for when passing and see if that's a way I'd like to drive.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
If you don't mind looking at a smaller car may I recommend test driving a Porsche 911S with the PDK transmission. I guarantee the transmission will be what you are looking for. I took one out for a test drive with the sport chrono package, and depending on the setting you can go from mild shifts to it banging out the gears at redline. It will put a big smile on your face everytime. I know I had one while driving it. This is if it is in your budget. You can get a nice low mileage one. The PDK transmission starts with 09 997.2.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Originally Posted by captj3
If you don't mind looking at a smaller car may I recommend test driving a Porsche 911S with the PDK transmission. I guarantee the transmission will be what you are looking for. I took one out for a test drive with the sport chrono package, and depending on the setting you can go from mild shifts to it banging out the gears at redline. It will put a big smile on your face everytime. I know I had one while driving it. This is if it is in your budget. You can get a nice low mileage one. The PDK transmission starts with 09 997.2.
You may be right. I have thought about a 911 w/ pdk.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
I have no kids and don't "need" a Sedan either, but here's why I chose mine over the E-Coupe:

I like the size of the Sedan, it's a "true E-Class", a more elegant and "serious" size. The E-Coupe being based on the C chassis gives it two drawbacks *to me* (I'm tall): Looks too cutely-proportioned/compact for an E-Class, the interior isn't nearly as stately or luxurious appearing (aside from the seats) as the Sedan, nor does it have the same cool all-around ambient lighting. Also, maybe it's in my head, but I don't like being duped into buying a car with an "E" badge and price that is based on a C and is the EXACT chassis used on the (IMO ugly) new C-Coupe. I think the W212 is a more aggressive look than the Coupe, not as sporty, but still sporty, and more stately (i.e more all around dynamic design), and is more true to the core of representing the M-B that I love (big-ish stately, almost mean yet understatedly elegant looking Sedans).

As for the 550, that's all you, i.e, it's all preference. I'm more than content with my E350's power (driving a Mustang 300+ HP new V6 right now, and my E actually feels quicker and snappier), so the 550 would have been pointless and the extra power/money mostly unused by me. But if you require that feel, then you might as well go for it.
Now you've done it again!!! It's the old C class chassis on the coupe. You do know that the E sedan is nothing but a stretched C class. I just can't believe that you think the sedan is more aggressive looking. More all around dynamic design...same rear...same pontoon fenders...same body lines as far as I can tell the only difference is the elderly (just for you KA) grill and hood star.

OK!!! I'm kidding...you and I have been arguing about the coupe verses sedan since 2010. Guess it's best to just agree to disagree. However, I do remember when you absoutly hated the E sedan.

Last edited by steelgrey; 04-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by steelgrey
Now you've done it again!!! It's the old C class chassis on the coupe. You do know that the E sedan is nothing but a stretched C class. I just can't believe that you think the sedan is more aggressive looking. More all around dynamic design...same rear...same pontoon fenders...same body lines as far as I can tell the only difference is the elderly (just for you KA) grill and hood star.

OK!!! I'm kidding...you and I have been arguing about the coupe verses sedan since 2010. Guess it's best to just agree to disagree. However, I do remember when you absoutly hated the E sedan.

Saying the coupe is based on the c-class chassis is getting old... All the MB cars share very similar chassis designs. Is the E-sedan essentially a stretched C-class? Yes. However, the differences in the side members, roof, and other parts of the structure are quite different causing the cars to behave differently too.

Thats why the 211 and 219 chassis while they are both "E-class" chassis the 219 was a stiffer overall structure.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 124 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Your wife may be right. You already have two nice cars. What you should consider is the following: Is your school debt paid? Do you own a house? If you do,will you want to upgrade that house soon? I assume you and your wife are in your early 30's. Are you planning on a family in the next couple of years?

If it was me, I would not consider a new car until my school loans were paid and I was living in a nice house. Secondly you are looking at the wrong car. MB is the Buick of the premium market. It's an old man's car. You have an RX that will make a great family car and when you have a few bucks in the bank and no debt,go out and buy yourself a new Porsche. This ends all arguments and is the ultimate in performance yet it is civilized enough to be a daily driver.
The world will still be there tomorrow. Take a little extra time and do it right.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by steelgrey

Saying the coupe is based on the c-class chassis is getting old... All the MB cars share very similar chassis designs. Is the E-sedan essentially a stretched C-class? Yes. However, the differences in the side members, roof, and other parts of the structure are quite different causing the cars to behave differently too.

Thats why the 211 and 219 chassis while they are both "E-class" chassis the 219 was a stiffer overall structure.
That's why I said the C chassis bothers me mainly due to proportions. The E-Coupe is too compact and "cutely proportioned" to be a true E. Plus I feel an E should have the more luxurious ride and substantial size.

The E Coupe and C Coupe are on the EXACT same wheelbase. To me, that constitutes and unjustifiable "E" badging.

For styling, I think the Sedan is more dynamic because it looks both more aggressive/mean and stately at the same time. The Coupe looks softer, sleeker and more sensual. That's the whole point of it, of course. As for the front, that dominating powerful grille and hood Star are my favorite part, and very unique to it nowadays.

Last edited by K-A; 04-09-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Originally Posted by petee1997
Your wife may be right. You already have two nice cars. What you should consider is the following: Is your school debt paid? Do you own a house? If you do,will you want to upgrade that house soon? I assume you and your wife are in your early 30's. Are you planning on a family in the next couple of years?

If it was me, I would not consider a new car until my school loans were paid and I was living in a nice house. Secondly you are looking at the wrong car. MB is the Buick of the premium market. It's an old man's car. You have an RX that will make a great family car and when you have a few bucks in the bank and no debt,go out and buy yourself a new Porsche. This ends all arguments and is the ultimate in performance yet it is civilized enough to be a daily driver.
The world will still be there tomorrow. Take a little extra time and do it right.
We are in our late 20s, we have school loans which are typical for pharmacy and medical schools. No house, but planning on buying 1 within 1 year. We've been pre approved for a certain amount and they told us not to rock the boat with any big purchases - maybe this is not the right time.

And I agree about the Porsche... that might be the right answer (or the new M3?)...
Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
We are in our late 20s, we have school loans which are typical for pharmacy and medical schools. No house, but planning on buying 1 within 1 year. We've been pre approved for a certain amount and they told us not to rock the boat with any big purchases - maybe this is not the right time.

And I agree about the Porsche... that might be the right answer (or the new M3?)...
I'd get the house and wait for the new F30 BMW m3 coupe, G37 isn't a bad ride.

Also back to the automatic driven in manual mode... the automatic is designed to work better in automatic mode. This is because based on throttle input, hills, steering angle, etc the computer can decide when and how to initiate the upshift. This makes it much smoother and less abrupt than using the manual paddle. Also on Mercedes vehicles, under hard acceleration the transmission will do pre shift preparation prior to shifting for a smoother quicker shift (clutch prefilling, etc)... if you are using manual mode the computer will not do this hence the long shift times.

Last edited by Kar don; 04-10-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
I'd get the house and wait for the new F30 BMW m3 coupe, G37 isn't a bad ride.

Also back to the automatic driven in manual mode... the automatic is designed to work better in automatic mode. This is because based on throttle input, hills, steering angle, etc the computer can decide when and how to initiate the upshift. This makes it much smoother and less abrupt than using the manual paddle. Also on Mercedes vehicles, under hard acceleration the transmission will do pre shift preparation prior to shifting for a smoother quicker shift (clutch prefilling, etc)... if you are using manual mode the computer will not do this hence the long shift times.
I will drive the e550 in pure auto next time and see if I like it.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport

Oh, God, skip the car and get the house first. With your income, you presumably shouldn't have a problem getting approved for a home loan (and, FYI for other posters, med school debt easily runs over $100,000), but you don't want to make it more any more painful that it already is. Especially since they look at your tax returns for the last two yrs (when you weren't earning hundreds of thousands of dollars/yr).

I just purchased my first place a few months ago. I'm only working part time, but I carry NO long-term debt (didn't have the new car at the time), have fantastic credit, put 55% down on a place that wasn't even that expensive, and the bank STILL gave me hell.

And, trust me, your priorities about how you spend your $ will totally change when you have a mortgage and property tax to pay....
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM

C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
I wouldn't drive the E63 unless your willing to consider it an option. The E63 is simply intoxicating and would become the litmus test against all others. I wouldn't want you pining over something out of your comfort range. Just my 2 cents.

The E550 is a fantastic car and would be a huge upgrade from the Infiniti. You only live once and should enjoy the ride as much as possible.

Literally and figuratively
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

If you haven't driven the E in auto mode yet (which would be nuts as the car isn't intended to be driven in paddle-mode, hence the super lag time), then definitely do so.

I find the way the tranny itself shifts is great. Quick, yet smooth. The 2012's probably shift even quicker/sportier hopefully without sacrifices any smoothness.

The E-Class is a very special car IMO, however you have to be buying it for the right reasons, or else you won't be happy with it.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:41 AM

2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
Oh, God, skip the car and get the house first. With your income, you presumably shouldn't have a problem getting approved for a home loan (and, FYI for other posters, med school debt easily runs over $100,000), but you don't want to make it more any more painful that it already is. Especially since they look at your tax returns for the last two yrs (when you weren't earning hundreds of thousands of dollars/yr).

I just purchased my first place a few months ago. I'm only working part time, but I carry NO long-term debt (didn't have the new car at the time), have fantastic credit, put 55% down on a place that wasn't even that expensive, and the bank STILL gave me hell.

And, trust me, your priorities about how you spend your $ will totally change when you have a mortgage and property tax to pay....
Yeah, I hear ya. We've been pre approved for a loan. It's a doctors loan and it has good numbers.

Originally Posted by ced357
I wouldn't drive the E63 unless your willing to consider it an option. The E63 is simply intoxicating and would become the litmus test against all others. I wouldn't want you pining over something out of your comfort range. Just my 2 cents.

The E550 is a fantastic car and would be a huge upgrade from the Infiniti. You only live once and should enjoy the ride as much as possible.

Literally and figuratively
Yes, I can see how this might be a problem. I will avoid a test drive at all costs for now.

Originally Posted by K-A
If you haven't driven the E in auto mode yet (which would be nuts as the car isn't intended to be driven in paddle-mode, hence the super lag time), then definitely do so.

I find the way the tranny itself shifts is great. Quick, yet smooth. The 2012's probably shift even quicker/sportier hopefully without sacrifices any smoothness.

The E-Class is a very special car IMO, however you have to be buying it for the right reasons, or else you won't be happy with it.
Good call - I'll try it in pure auto.

Update:

I did find a car today that checked all the boxes off my list. It was the BMW 535i w/ M Sport package. It had the right amount of power, it had paddles and the transmission was SPOT ON quick... I drove it the entire time in manual mode w/o a problem.

Of course, there is the 550i M Sport, but I thought this was a tad overkill in power.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

I think the E-Class is a superior car of this class, namely in styling aesthetics to the 5-Series, however based on what it seems like you want, the 535i I bet will walk the line best in this segment for you. Still, take an E out for a drive in pure Auto mode, forget the paddles as they're not there for sporting purposes, for the hell of it. I think that the 535i M-Sport (like I recommended before) will probably be most suitable for you though, and it's a very well done car.

I find the 535i is the right balance for the 5-series. It's already pig heavy, huge and soft for a BMW traditionalist. The 550, with its 4500 lb, 400 HP and TT V8 just isn't the "BMW" that I seek. Heavy, gluttonous, and not that efficient form of squeezing out performance and HP out of minimalist motors and balanced chassis' that BMW does extremely well.

Last edited by K-A; 04-11-2012 at 04:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 E550: Coupe vs Sedan? Also triptronic questions...