E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Motor Trend 6-cylinder midsize luxury sedan comparison...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Motor Trend 6-cylinder midsize luxury sedan comparison...

I hope this is not a repost, but in case some of you haven't read or seen this, here it is:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

It's sad that the E-class was not included in this comparison, but according to MT, "Mercedes-Benz PR declined our invite, saying they'd prefer to participate when the refreshed E debuts sometime next year". At least it looks like the facelift MY2014 E-class will see drastic improvements, both cosmetically and mechanically (engine, trans, suspension). The competition in this segment is quite fierce, especially with the new GS and the always "driving king" of the segment 5-series. Having said that, it's amazing how the E-class, despite not being the most performance-oriented vehicle, the most-reliable, nor the most comfortable (arguable), it trounces the competition where it matters to MB: SALES. Goes to show that the E-class is just the better "all-around" vehicle in the segment, perhaps?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
You can't blame M-B. Magazine selfish "Reviewers" try and treat every test like it's a Porsche VS Ferrari, i.e how hard riding and "steering feel connected" a car is will win, whether it's a Sports Car, Economy Car, Luxury Sedan, or Minivan. Luxury and smoothness, and disconnect from the crap outside (which is what a Luxury and Mercedes is about) gets panned by them, while cone dancing in Conservative 4,000+ lb Sedans gets praise. Therefore, Mercedes historically commonly "loses" these tests, and the current E would get hammered by them for being the most Luxurious and comfortable choice.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by K-A
You can't blame M-B. Magazine selfish "Reviewers" try and treat every test like it's a Porsche VS Ferrari, i.e how hard riding and "steering feel connected" a car is will win, whether it's a Sports Car, Economy Car, Luxury Sedan, or Minivan. Luxury and smoothness, and disconnect from the crap outside (which is what a Luxury and Mercedes is about) gets panned by them, while cone dancing in Conservative 4,000+ lb Sedans gets praise. Therefore, Mercedes historically commonly "loses" these tests, and the current E would get hammered by them for being the most Luxurious and comfortable choice.
I totally agree with you on this KA. It seems to have been like this for years. I remember a MT article in the mid 90s regarding the Cadillac Deville Concours basically calling it a muscle car and going on and on about the performance of the Northstar V-8. I remember thinking then, wow either the desires of the 50-70yrs buying these cars are really changing or GM is trying getting MT to advertise this car to younger buyers. Never noticed the 20 and 30 somethings cruising around in them much though...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That's a great point. If you look back at who won reviews back in the day, you'll see cars that are forgotten and vastly dated in design and quality these days, while the cars that lost those same tests (i.e M-B's) are continuously relevant and sought after in terms of their appeals.

What Magazine Tests look at is short term sporting qualities, they don't concentrate on long term holistic ownership and driving experiences, in the real world (i.e, a quieter cabin in an E-Class is more important than whether it can dance around cones hilariously, but you never hear about the former being factored into road tests and way too much about the latter).
Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
After being a subscriber to MT for many years, I recently dumped them for Road & Track. MT's quality and content stinks on ice. The magazine is a joke.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 430 Posts
W212 FL
I don't buy car for praising some marques over others . Nowadays, Audi and BMW are claming top spot according to the test reviews

A6 is ugly butt , BMW some sorta shark face lol

I don't care who gets top spot or what test drivers say ,I rely on my feelings and owners' reviews

Last edited by BenzV12; 04-22-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:53 PM

2012 E350W4
Article screams Lexus advertisement to me!!! I mean how much did MT get paid??? Really peculiar...and my "gut feeling" is rarely off on things like this. I mean, come on...I'm obviously a M-B supporter, but dangit, if it's green, then call it green! The A6 won the test hands down! Every aspect of it! Really MT??? And I'm kinda disappointed that M-B chose to bow out...doesn't look good.

Last edited by hofb99; 04-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

M-B had no choice but to bow out. If I was M-B, I wouldn't even participate in these tests. The quieter, more solid an luxuriously isolated you are, the more chance you have to LOSE A LUXURY CAR TEST (!) with these dumb rags. The W126 which is the most iconic modern Luxury Sedan of which to this day all others strive to emulate, used to lose tests to "at the moment" Sedans that were faster, more "techy", more statistically oriented, yet those cars are all but broken down or forgotten about today.

M-B's have been losing Luxury Sedan tests since the beginning of time, because they choose to appropriately coddle you away from ultimate steering feel (you'd that that's what this segment is all about.... it is to the shoppers, yet not to selfish magazine testers). Yet, M-B Sedans have always been the hallmark Luxury Sedans. On another note, U.S News' Car Rankings, which take a more "all around" approach to this segment, has the E-Class pegged at #1 ever year.

Look up any tests with M-B Sedans, they rarely if ever came in first, and if they did, it's because they were first year versions or something.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:59 AM

2012 E350W4
Seems as though most reports/reviews I pull up for the W212 tend to moan and groan about every little thing (that I don't agree w/ @ all)...as if they were "looking" for things to b!tch and whine about. Proof that when you're "on top", everyone looks to bring you down...such a shame, but reality, I guess...
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hofb99
Seems as though most reports/reviews I pull up for the W212 tend to moan and groan about every little thing (that I don't agree w/ @ all)...as if they were "looking" for things to b!tch and whine about. Proof that when you're "on top", everyone looks to bring you down...such a shame, but reality, I guess...
The lamest thing about these tests is that they'll usually say something like "The E-Class was the quietest of the bunch, also the smoothest riding, and felt like a piece of carved granite.... but we gave it last place because you don't feel enough pebbles on the road and because it doesn't dance around cones as much as xxxx car which was louder and less refined.... but faster and dancier! So it wins!".

These "Journalists" forget that not everyone buys cars to TAKE THEM AROUND A TRACK!!!! LOL. Who the f*** drives these cars around tracks?

Everything that they always say gives the E-Class the "lose", is what gives it the win in the real world, and why most people choose it in this class.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Originally Posted by hofb99
Proof that when you're "on top", everyone looks to bring you down...such a shame, but reality, I guess...
I think that's a good point

Originally Posted by K-A
The lamest thing about these tests is that they'll usually say something like "The E-Class was the quietest of the bunch, also the smoothest riding, and felt like a piece of carved granite.... but we gave it last place because you don't feel enough pebbles on the road and because it doesn't dance around cones as much as xxxx car which was louder and less refined.... but faster and dancier! So it wins!".

These "Journalists" forget that not everyone buys cars to TAKE THEM AROUND A TRACK!!!! LOL. Who the f*** drives these cars around tracks?

Everything that they always say gives the E-Class the "lose", is what gives it the win in the real world, and why most people choose it in this class.
Agree, these test reviews make no sense to me at all , if it's the best at crucial points then why E is not winner
Old 04-22-2012, 01:42 PM
rjm

Multiple
K-A:
MB didn't participate in these tests for the obvious reason...they are not competitive with the models tested......plain and simple. Your multiple excuses for MB's failure to compete in your 4 posts max'ed out my Koolaid Meter. The needle is broken! As the other models (old and new) have steadily improved competitively, MB has been dragging their feet and relying on the "Prestige Factor" to sell their cars, as has been pointed out in recent surveys. Once again, Lexus and BMW come out on top. Hopefully the 2013 and later MB models will be more competitive. I'm hoping they will. Competition between brands is desirable for auto enthusiasts.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
The only thing car magazines are good for is proper reading material while on the hopper.... MB always loses in the mags, or on youtube shootouts by car magzines, Its so lame. Wish they would do 1 year update on the group of cars tested and see how many times the winners were in the shop(audi-bmw), while the MB driver just keeps enjoying their trouble free ride. When your #1, your faults will be shown, when your at the bottom, they scrounge to find the good points to post.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
rjm

Multiple
Originally Posted by Cal
it's amazing how the E-class, despite not being the most performance-oriented vehicle, the most-reliable, nor the most comfortable (arguable), it trounces the competition where it matters to MB: SALES. Goes to show that the E-class is just the better "all-around" vehicle in the segment, perhaps?
Really? Might want to read here:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...401484482.html

and here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...cle-sales.html

and here:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/04/09/ma...y-36-vehicles/
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, say what you want, but the new GS has a dated automatic transmission, and the 5 series has numb steering and is overpriced when you option it up to decent levels. The A6 is a good car.

Indeed, the refresh on the E class is going to be significant - Automobile magazine is reporting that only the roof, doors, and windows will carry over - and it will get 330HP.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by nyca
Well, say what you want, but the new GS has a dated automatic transmission, and the 5 series has numb steering and is overpriced when you option it up to decent levels. The A6 is a good car.

Indeed, the refresh on the E class is going to be significant - Automobile magazine is reporting that only the roof, doors, and windows will carry over - and it will get 330HP.
My wife really wanted the Audi A5/6... Making sure I don't let her see any test reviews since I really pushed the M-B. But now, I'm thinking maybe I should've waited for the E refresh...330hp sounds mucho appealing!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by rjm
K-A:
MB didn't participate in these tests for the obvious reason...they are not competitive with the models tested......plain and simple. Your multiple excuses for MB's failure to compete in your 4 posts max'ed out my Koolaid Meter. The needle is broken! As the other models (old and new) have steadily improved competitively, MB has been dragging their feet and relying on the "Prestige Factor" to sell their cars, as has been pointed out in recent surveys. Once again, Lexus and BMW come out on top. Hopefully the 2013 and later MB models will be more competitive. I'm hoping they will. Competition between brands is desirable for auto enthusiasts.
Get off it troll.

Best styling, most comfortable interior, most advanced safety cage, most data compiled reliable, are reasons why the E-Class trounces its better cone-dancing competition in U.S Sales by a wide margin (BMW may lead because they have the 3-Series which is responsible for over half their sales, but the W212 turned the tables and became the first E-Class in a while to outsell its 5-Series counterpart), and why I'm a buyer.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Wig

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W213, C238
I had the chance to spend some time in an Audi A7 yesterday. The technology and its execution was superior to the W212. I assume the A6 is similar, but I haven't driven in one yet.

The whole interior ambience felt more modern, and the supercharged engine was very responsive.

I always said I'd never have another Audi, but the A6 / A7 are very tempting.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

On the subject of the A7. I drove one a while back and wrote a little "Review" on it (the pics use my 2010 E that I traded in on my current 2011 E). Copy/Pasted:

Driving dynamics are outstanding. If the next A6 drives like this, it will be the class leader in performance feel, and dynamics, while the W212 will be the class leader in luxury, leaving the F10 a smidge behind the A6 due to being supremely heavy, having questionable steering feel (for a BMW at least), and having a less advanced overall construction (Audi's aluminum space frame is pretty incredible), and a smidge behind the E in comfort and quiet/comfy ride.

Compared to my E, it feels like a go cart. Plenty of power on tap, and the Turbo spools up almost instantaneously. The chassis is extremely composed, and is both comfortable and very light/nimble in its feel. Getting back into my E, I felt like I was in a heavy Luxury Sedan, which is appropriate for what I want out of my car, but the differences in driving feel couldn't be any more different.

The interior was beautiful in the A7, and cozier than the avant-garde and over-styled look leads you to believe in pics. Materials were great, etc. For a 6'4 person like me, headroom was about an inch or two shy of being totally comfortable (I don't even know if I could buy a car like this, as if I sit up straight, I have to kink my head, and my E is a close-enough call in that department as it is). Getting back in my E, I appreciated the Benz upright feel and teutonic'ness, and wasn't in any way deterred, in fact, I was happy to be back "home". However, I can't really say anything bad about Audi's interior, except for the CHEAP AND CRAPPY pop up screen.

Here are pics next to my E. I must say, I couldn't be happier with how my car looks next to it. The A7 is great, but for my tastes I'm all the way with the E!!

Last edited by K-A; 04-22-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
It parks straighter than yours.

Regards,
Don
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Actually it was after a test drive so I parked both.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 FL
Thanks for these pics . I like A7 headlights a lot , these are the coolest headlamps you can find in Audi but not a hatcback fan I can't say same compliments for the rest of the styling and car lol

I don't like straight hood either , some straight curved hoods are dandier
Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by K-A
Actually it was after a test drive so I parked both.
you parked both of them? you need to go to driving school! j/k .
Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Used to get 5 auto mags, but they all say the same thing and test the same vehicles. Get MT for free, otherwise would not subscribe to any. All auto mag "journalists" critreria are basically as follows:
big engine, transmission and wheels; must go really fast; must do 0-60 really fast; must ride marginally (e.g. "road feel"); must have poor sound insulation so can hear road & engine noise, etc.; and so forth.
Also, generally must be a BMW or a Corvette or cost upwards of $70,000. Periodically will choose another brand to prove they are not biased. Yeah, right. Never an M-B.
We all know why M-B "E" Class is the superior vehicle.
M-B: The ultimate automobile!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Cal

2018 Porsche Macan, 2017 NSX, 2011 R350
Originally Posted by Cal
it's amazing how the E-class, despite not being the most performance-oriented vehicle, the most-reliable, nor the most comfortable (arguable), it trounces the competition where it matters to MB: SALES. Goes to show that the E-class is just the better "all-around" vehicle in the segment, perhaps?
Did you read my post CAREFULLY? I said that the E-class trounces the competition where it matters the most to MB, and that is in SALES numbers. All links you posted show overall numbers, and we already know that overall, BMW sells more cars the MB in America. BMW also edged out MB in 2011 for the 2011 sales crown. HOWEVER, MB sells more E-classes than BMW does 5-series (over 1100 cars so far this yr), and more cars than any of its other competitors in this segment (none of which are even close to E numbers). The e-class is the best selling midsize luxury car in America, which was my point.

Here, read again:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/04...arch-2012.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend 6-cylinder midsize luxury sedan comparison...