E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Before and After: My brand new 2012 E350 BlueTEC! :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 BlueTEC, Boxster S, Z4 sDrive 35i, LS430
Before and After: My brand new 2012 E350 BlueTEC! :(

About 3 weeks ago I proudly joined the MB club with my brand new 2012 Alpine White E350 BlueTEC with the P1 and Sports Package.

Week 1: Sat mostly in the garage.
Week 2: Had windows tinted.
Week 3: Had side markers whited out.
72 hours ago: Upgraded front lights to xenon and upgrade all other interior lights to LED.
48 hours ago: Added carbon fibre trunk spoiler.
24 hours ago: ... umm... some special exterior modifications.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

As you can see my car got rear ended at 40+ mph while it was at a stand still. The impact was so great it plowed into 2 additional cars.

Do you think it will buff out? Uhhh... anyone want to take over the payments? It's got super low miles... in fact you could say they are "delivery miles". I will also leave ALL the "upgrades" on the car for you! LOL

I'm so sad... depressed...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 AM

I am now accepting DIY "quick fix" submissions... thanks guys!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 AM

C63, CLS550, CLK BS, Sprinter Passenger Van, Odyssey
Just keep driving that vehicle at least no one will scratch your car or park next to you. You are safe to park any where.....
Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 AM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
Damm sorry to see that you must feel sick. Take it back to the dealer and say you decided on a different color
Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 w221
i think that will be totalled .... did the airbags go off ?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
No one was hurt right? I know I would feel just awful... But just try and stay positive and pray that all of this will work out...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
getting rear ended at 40+ mph while stand still is definitely not a laughing matter. Think about what would happen if you were not in such a robust car like the eclass.

The fact that you are posting means you are feeling ok ... and thats what matters most. At the end of the day, a car is just a car.

let us know how insurance plays out and if they do a full compensation
Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 AM

Mercedes S212 200TCDI AMG
Oh no... what a terrible feeling.. I`m so sorry..
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM

Thanks for cheering me up! I would like to take it back to the dealership and ask if I can get that free car wash now! "Please be especially careful with the paint... the car IS new."

Luckily, no one appeared to be hurt. Maybe some whip lash in a couple of days but that's not unexpected for this type of collision. I suspect my car basically absorbed most of the impact. The cars in front of mine were just pushed forward so I guess crumple zones do work after all.

The airbags deployed as they should have and I think the hazard lights automatically activated too. The Benz did its job and did it well so I'm happy. I don't know if it's totaled yet as I am waiting to hear back from the insurance adjuster.

I think I technically qualify for some repeat customer or loyalty program for my next MB plus whatever factory rebates are available. Hmmm...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
You're going to probably want to have it totalled after that kind of impact. I'm guessing there's frame damage and if that's the case you're not going to want it "repaired". Find out where your local Mercedes approved body shop is and have the insurance company take it there rather than to a shop they choose. The adjuster may miss a lot of internal damage that the body shop will immediately suspect seeing the damage.
Assuming they decide to fix the car, you're going to want to claim against the other party's insurance for loss of value to your vehicle because the Carfax for your VIN now shows a collision which will impact resale value.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
hoshi, we all appreciate your sense of humor in this situation and we all want to make sure everybody is ok. you might not feel anything now but better have your doctor check. don't take this casually. it could lead to some serious problems down the road when you are getting older. as for the car, most likely it'll be totalled especially when the airbags deployed. like what others said, you want that totalled instead of have it repair. hey, look at the bright side, you'll get a new car and get to choose some options that you didn't pick last time and have that waiting game start all over again. isn't it exciting ? anyway, glad to hear you are ok and hope everything is going well on your end .
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 AM

I would be rather surprised if the insurance company actually tried to pass this car as reparable.

I appreciate everyone's concerns. Thanks again! I'm actually okay. I lent my car to my bro-in-law fitness/health nut and had him get an MRI today. As far as I know he has been cleared.

I'm late 30's... almost 40... that's already "old" right? I'll be sure to ask for the "mid life crisis options list" for the next one!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 613 Likes on 462 Posts
W212 FL
Sorry to what happened to your car . Honestly, i expected something worse when I saw the topic ,I am happy it proved something easier
Right after looking at the rear bumper cover , I thought it was like a reverse damage I mean someone backed into your car when parking or you or someone who drive your car run into something .
However, it turned out to be it was at stand still and someone rear ended just around 40mph
WOW, that's a super structure then because you don't have heavy duty chrome bumpers but just sustained a little damage for that kinda incident
Kudos to MB engineers once again for making bumper covers that solid

Front end is worse than rear end but despite repairable damage , I suggest as rest of friends have your car totalled considering airbags deployed

Good thing no one was hurt , well done Mercedes Benz

May you have happy safe driving and no more incident from now on
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
yep, that's old!!!! I'm the same age..........and now I'm actually shaving a few times a week! LOL......

really sorry to read about the ******* that rear ended you......
people have their priorities all ****ed up these days.....

good luck man!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350 BT
The car held up amazingly well. I hope you get some dough for those upgrades so you can use them on the replacement Bluetec. There is no way this is repairable, and if it's attempted, it won't drive the same.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The rear bumper and its alignment suggest that the collision occurred at speed substantially below 40 mph. Most of the damage looks superficial. fenders and outer body panels. Would love to know what they do. I have seen far worse come back to life. Perhaps you should insist on a certified MB collision center to do the work should it not be totalled.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Aw man, really sorry to see and hear that, but most importantly you're okay. Now you can start all over and get some things on the car that you didn't have last time, etc. It'll be like you never left your W212 but just "enhanced" it.

How did the accident happen, anyway? Was the person on a cell phone, not looking, etc.?

Also, the rear end looks incredibly unscathed for a 40 MPH impact which should pretty much crumple the trunk pretty good. I wonder how the variables worked out there.

Anyway, you were in the safest car on the roads as far as I'm concerned, so glad to see that it did its job well.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 PM

I have other pictures but it looks like the nose of the oncoming car lifted the back of my car and then plowed into the other cars in front. Maybe there was some attempt to at least slow down at the last second? The other car's hood/bonnet is basically folded in half with the engine exposed. The rear quarter is buckled, the C-pillar is compressed and the rear doors no longer open or close properly. Since the airbag was deployed there was at least 7 G's of force... Could there be frame/chassis damage? I don't know.

The other driver was apologetically eating and drinking... perhaps she was in a hurry and multi-tasking challenged at the time? From what I've seen it looks like her car is pretty much totaled.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by hoshi
I would be rather surprised if the insurance company actually tried to pass this car as reparable.

I appreciate everyone's concerns. Thanks again! I'm actually okay. I lent my car to my bro-in-law fitness/health nut and had him get an MRI today. As far as I know he has been cleared.

I'm late 30's... almost 40... that's already "old" right? I'll be sure to ask for the "mid life crisis options list" for the next one!
it ain't old for men. it's our prime .

Originally Posted by hoshi
I have other pictures but it looks like the nose of the oncoming car lifted the back of my car and then plowed into the other cars in front. Maybe there was some attempt to at least slow down at the last second? The other car's hood/bonnet is basically folded in half with the engine exposed. The rear quarter is buckled, the C-pillar is compressed and the rear doors no longer open or close properly. Since the airbag was deployed there was at least 7 G's of force... Could there be frame/chassis damage? I don't know.

The other driver was apologetically eating and drinking... perhaps she was in a hurry and multi-tasking challenged at the time? From what I've seen it looks like her car is pretty much totaled.
well, "she" again and i'm not surprised to see that. at least she was not eating and drinking while putting make-up on, talking over the phone w/o bluetooth, searching her pen and notepad in her gigantic handbag and trying to put down the very important details of how to get to the mall that she just drove by .
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Perhaps she was in a state of awe viewing your new mods. I am truly glad you were not injured.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
So glad you are without serious injury.

You have become poster children for Mercedes safety standards. You make us all pleased, as you surely are, that we have chosen an amazingly safe car. It's not just a pretty face!

Regards,
Don
Old 05-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus LS 400, 2008 BMW 528i, 2014 e250 BlueTec
hoshi
I see what I see and I am trying to see how I would have reacted. I just don't know where to start! All I can say at this time is that you are handling the situation like a big man. Like someone said, insurance will handle it as totaled and it will be paid for by insuance Co. of the driver that rear ended you. And it would be compensation for a brand new car.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM

2007 E350, 2010 C300, 2008 R350
E-classes are absolute bomb bunkers. I was rear ended while essentially stopped making a left hand turn. A chick was going ADMITTEDLY doing 65 in a 40 driving her boyfriends 3 series home from a party...and decided this would be a good time to check the radio and fiddle with it. Zero attempt to brake. I was driving an E350, and if I wasn't I would not have walked away unscathed. The cops were amazed I only have some facial abrasions. The trunk was completely compacted but it took it like a champ.

Cops gave her careless driving due to her...endowments. Refused to up it to reckless, and at the time refused to breathalize even tho we requested it.

What really gets me heated is I just got charged with careless driving on the same road I got hit on, while NOT speeding. I pulled over to let a cop pass me, and he tried to charge me with evasion, but didn't have the grounds, so he threw careless at me for fun.

Sorry for the rant lol, and good luck with the insurance claim! I hope you get some extra for future mods.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Hoshi, I'm so glad you are feeling OK, and can find some humor about this. I wish you good luck in the settlement...don't settle for less than you want and deserve.

Seeing and reading this makes me see red. It's why I stay several car lengths back from the car in front of me when I'm stopped on my bike. Had your car been a motorcycle, well... I lost two friends just this way.

When, oh when will people JUST DRIVE when they are behind the wheel of a moving vehicle?!!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Holy crap!... The at-fault person's insurance company are being CHEAP asses... they apparently did a walk around inspection and offered to repair my car for a low-ball $20k. I don't know how they came up with that number because according to my bro-in-law the hood doesn't even open in any way to allow inspection of the engine bay, the rear doors are jammed and the car was inspected in the salvage yard and not on a proper lift. What the...?

Thanks for all your support! Jerry I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss. After getting married my wife made me sell all my bikes including a modded Ducati 749s for that very reason: no matter how careful I am, there are countless others who maybe careless on the road we all have to share.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Before and After: My brand new 2012 E350 BlueTEC! :(