E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Steering light on W212... mechanical or electrical???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Estate for wafting and M3 SMG for blasting!
Steering light on W212... mechanical or electrical???

I have just swapped my W211 E320cdi avantgarde estate for a W212 avantgarde estate.

So far not liking the W212 as much if I am honest with myself.

The steering is the thing that is really letting it down. I don't have the 'direct steering' option on my car, I have the variable ratio steering.
I understand it is to help keep the drive more relaxed whilst sitting in the fast lane, less corrections as there is a bit more movement on the wheel without doing too much to the wheels underneath?

But the problem I have is there is too much play, I have to move the wheel to the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position to get the car to go round the slightest of bends.
This would probably be OK in the W211 as I could do that with my arm remaining on the armrest, but in this car due to the seating and steering wheel position I have to take my arm off and this starts to get quite tiring.

Plus when you go into a long bend that tightens I think it is quite dangerous as the turn in is not consistent, so you have to be really careful not to turn the wheel too far, the further you turn it the quicker the car turns in.
All very strange.

I have just driven an Sport with the 'direct steering' option and this is so much nicer, you can feel what is going on plus on the motorway only small corrections, and round town you don't have to give the wheel a 180° turn to go round small corners.

So my question is....

is this an electrical thing that can be coded out or is it a variable steering column?

I am going to have to change it as I hate it, just hoping it is possible.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
What year is the car and which engine? The switch from mechanical to electromechanical happened for MY12.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Estate for wafting and M3 SMG for blasting!
It is a 2010 model.
I have noticed that the options listed in the advert says Paramater Steering, I missed that and as it was a 350 avantgarde presumed it would come with the Direct steering, but obviously an option the previous owner ticked.