E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E350 - Blown motor with less than 1000 miles! What are my options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by Spinny201
Again, thank you for all of the responses. We have filed a formal complaint with MBUSA. Today the service agent called me and said "I don't know what you did, but you did something right, MBUSA has a field tech here and corporate offices have been calling my manager all morning".

Plain and simple - we are not accepting a brand new car with a replaced engine. It's not an option. Yes this may be a normal occurance with a ferrari or a porsche, but this is neither.

The numbers will not match, I do not have faith that the any tech has that much experience swapping an entire engine in a 350 and on top of that, if they messed up building the motor, who knows what else could have been neglected.

The car is currently being serviced at another dealership because we refuse to go back to where we purchased the car due to the horrible sales experience we had. It was seriously the worst experience of our lives purchasing a car. This is not the first car that has been purchased there but it will be the last.

I will keep this thread updated as I find out more information. Again I thank everyone for their insight.
Good for you!!! I love the "No-BS" stance you're taking and I hope it all works out for you!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 E350, 2015 S550
I had a brand new Audi A6 about 15 years back that had a paint problem after 4 months and 12,000 miles. Audi replaced the car. It was even a model year newer, but it took persistence. At first they only offered to repaint it. No way I wanted an after market paint job on a new car. I would much rather have a new engine than my situation. I'd be pissed none the less but you should be fine. My guess is the Dealer mechanics are well trained on this but I share the opinion about factory install vs. field install.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by EmE247
Sorry, I don't care what all of you are saying about this being an okay thing...

I'd be pissed about having to replace a new engine after 1k miles after buying the car new. I'd do what I could to get a new replacement.

Good luck to you op. Hope things work out in your favor.

PS. What's with all of these heart analogies? Stupid. Would you rather have the heart you are born with or one that has been transplanted into you?
Couldn't agree w/ you more... Just can't see how it's okay to have engine problems after just buying the car...makes no kinda sense for this to be acceptable w/ anything you would buy.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Originally Posted by hofb99
Couldn't agree w/ you more... Just can't see how it's okay to have engine problems after just buying the car...makes no kinda sense for this to be acceptable w/ anything you would buy.
Not sure I've read where anyone said that it was acceptable. All voiced that in sux in one form or another. I will be curious to see how MB rights this problem with the OP. Best resolution would be a new car. Second best is a new engine installed in the field. Not what you want for a brand new car. I share the frustration of many and hope it works for resolution number one. But, if it's number 2, and we all know what that stands for, it will probably turn out fine once the original stink goes away..
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 PM

2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by mnje350
Not sure I've read where anyone said that it was acceptable.
Huh? Really??? Umm... (sorry, ttoE550 and others, for putting you on the spot)

Originally Posted by ttoE550
I am sorry, but I fail to see any major issue here aside from inconvenience, for which of course the OP should be compensated. A motor replacement is a minor issue, unless it has somehow infected the rest of the car.
Originally Posted by ttoE550
What's the big deal? Aside from the inconvenience and assuming he gets a new motor and not refurbished. At 1000 miles, it was probably a material defect, or less likely a manufacturing error. The failure probably has little to say about longevity.
Originally Posted by Kar don
Cars have major components changed all the time (transmissions, etc). My brand new BMW had to have the motor pulled with 4000 miles to have the rear main seal replaced. I got upset at first but it drives fine and it's no big deal. I don't think it's worth the headache for you to stress over getting a new car. It's not going to really change anything for you.
Originally Posted by petee1997
This is not a big deal. The inconvenience is that you will have a short wait for the engine to be shipped if it is not in stock at the warehouse. In the meantime the dealer will give you a loaner and life will return to normal. That's life, it happens, suck it up.

DISCLAIMER/CAVEAT: I did edit everyone's response above; but only to prove my point. Not trying to put these specific posters in a negative light...just revealing that this is the perception as pointed out by other posters (couple examples below):

Originally Posted by leapingpoint
motor replacement is a minor issue?!?!?!
Originally Posted by bigh123
Are you being sarcastic? On what planet is replacing an engine minor? It is the heart of a car and not something you can plug out and plug in. Totally unacceptable.
Originally Posted by EmE247
Sorry, I don't care what all of you are saying about this being an okay thing... I'd be pissed about having to replace a new engine after 1k miles after buying the car new. I'd do what I could to get a new replacement. Good luck to you op. Hope things work out in your favor.

PS. What's with all of these heart analogies? Stupid. Would you rather have the heart you are born with or one that has been transplanted into you?
If you want to quibble about semantics, I'll be the first to admit I might have used the wrong word: "acceptable". But in context of how some are perceiving that the problem isn't something to have too much distress over is totally off-kilter. Don't understand why you came @ my post like that...?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes product
File formal complaint with MB USA of this problem being absolutely unacceptable. Leave it on their lot, and do not take it. The Lemon clock is ticking.

The squeaky wheel gets the you know what.

In a buy back, it's MBUSA...don't let the dealer try and use and say they are doing you a favor. Since you are buying it, I'd wratchet it to a buy back. If leased, I'd go for the repair.

Keep the pressure on, and get a lawyer--but do not announce you have coucil until it comes time to do so. Document every phone call, time, what was discussed. Track the car if you have mbrace for it's location, so they aren't driving your car around.

Good luck. Hopefully MB will be stand up for you. I do think they care about their products, but you have have to be ready to push.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM

E350
Still no word. They officially do not know what has failed but have stated the engine is damaged. Its been over 4days and no offical word. 4 days and theu cant figure out the exact cause for engine failure but they will be able to swap a new engine?

The car was purchasrd from prestige mercedes in paramus nj. This is where we have had a nightmare of a sales experience. Due to that, we now have the car at benzel bush in englewood nj for the engine failure.

Ive called the gm at prestige, basically he has stated he doesnt care and theres nothing he can do at this poit. They sold the car and did not build it so our issue is with mbusa.

Stay tuned!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM

2010 E350, 2015 S550
Huh? Really??? Umm... (sorry, ttoE550 and others, for putting you on the spot)

DISCLAIMER/CAVEAT: I did edit everyone's response above; but only to prove my point. Not trying to put these specific posters in a negative light...just revealing that this is the perception as pointed out by other posters (couple examples below):

If you want to quibble about semantics, I'll be the first to admit I might have used the wrong word: "acceptable". But in context of how some are perceiving that the problem isn't something to have too much distress over is totally off-kilter. Don't understand why you came @ my post like that...?
I did not intend to make my post sound like an attack, so I apologize for that. An attack was not my intent. I just thought it sounded a tad extreme. I guess I should be a little less extreme myself.

It still sux for the OP. I hope it works out well for him.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Still no word. They officially do not know what has failed but have stated the engine is damaged. Its been over 4days and no offical word. 4 days and theu cant figure out the exact cause for engine failure but they will be able to swap a new engine?

The car was purchasrd from prestige mercedes in paramus nj. This is where we have had a nightmare of a sales experience. Due to that, we now have the car at benzel bush in englewood nj for the engine failure.

Ive called the gm at prestige, basically he has stated he doesnt care and theres nothing he can do at this poit. They sold the car and did not build it so our issue is with mbusa.

Stay tuned!
Don't rush them! Let the clock keep ticking getting you closer to the lemon law criteria.

Yeah, they didn't build the car they just sold it to ya and took your money lol
Old 05-13-2012, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550

Stay tuned!
i can't believe there are so many competitions and they are still treating their customers like *****. unreal ! thanks for posting the name of that "stealer" and you might want to do this on all the mercedes forums and/or yelp and/or any other car forums if they sell more than just mb. you probably want to tell us the name of whoever you've dealt with so far in that "stealer" as well. geez, i can't believe they are still in business with this kind of bad services. good luck and please keep us posted .
Old 05-13-2012, 02:28 AM

2012 E350W4

Stay tuned!
Way to get the word out! These forums are viewed by many current and prospective M-B consumers (heck, even when you google "E350" or "Mercedes Benz", mbworld is one of the top results). So, consequently, what we say in these forums really carries some weight/influence in helping shape M-B's overall image. Maybe this certain dealer has received negative customer feedback in the past... But @ least those in your area that read your thread will be wary of this dealer's shortcomings and beware! Does the current dealership have you in a loaner @ least?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Way to get the word out! These forums are viewed by many current and prospective M-B consumers.........
+1!

Stay tuned!

You may consider posting your miserable dealer experience here as well: http://www.dealerrater.com/

I had the pleasure of posting comments there about both my sales and service dept. experiences after my second Benz purchase from my dealer, Keenan Mercedes, Doylestown, PA. If you visit the website, you'll see I have lots of company praising them.

I didn't tell them I did it. Nevertheless, I received appreciative e mails from my salesman, the Service Dept. manager and the specific asst. service rep. who assisted me with an issue. Because of my description of the issue, they knew it was me. They do keep an eye on this website! IOW, they CARE!

Of course, given their collective bad attitudes, your dealership may not care nor bother to read this website. But I can assure you other prospective Benz buyers do. Now that I think of it, why don't you check out the dealer's rep. there? Perhaps you're not alone. Although, I guess given the nature of the business, the odds are they must have satisfied somebody!

And hey, given your frustrations, sometimes it just feels good to vent!

Hoping to hear good news from you soon.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM

e350
[quote=hofb99;5191775]Huh? Really??? Umm... (sorry, ttoE550 and others, for putting you on the spot)

Did not mean anything by it. Sorry.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
Al and KA

Good hearing from you guys. Yes the Jaguar turned out to be a problem child, here's the whole 9 page thread about it http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...e9/#post511744
I read through that thread. Amazing and sad saga, but it sounds like you're on the right track now.

I have no experience whatsoever with Jags, but the fellow behind me has a brand new large 4 door sedan. Sorry don't know which model. I've only seen it in his drive for a few months. In that time, I've seen what appears from this distance to be a dealer service vehicle and the hood up twice.

A real shame for such an impressive looking car, although I still prefer MB styling overall, especially the W212 and latest CLS. And of course my sorta-kinda E Class coupe.

Best of luck with that new Benz on the way. The new iteration looks fantastic.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM

E350
Saw the car on saturday. I took some pics, Ill upload them when Im on my laptop.

As of now we are waiting on mbusa to make a decision on how they will proceed. As soon as I hear something I will make a post.

I would like to let everyone know what an amazing job the service department at Benzel Bush in englewood nj is doing. They are treating us as if we purchased a car from them, put us in a loaner (with navi) and have been extremely helpfull. The level of service they provide is 2nd to none. Feels good to know a dealership cares.

I will upload pics of the engine tomorrow. Looks like they only took the plastic covers off and airbox. The field tech from mbusa diagnosed it as "bottom end knock".
Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just keep letting the clock keep ticking and the longer it's in the better chance you'll get a replacement because they know you will via lemon law. Glad the new dealership is treating you properly.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 432 Posts
W212 FL
Good news, good to see things are getting on your way
Well done to your dealership
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
sounds like they will just replace your car, glad it's working out.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 AM

E350
At this point I really hope MBUSA will step up and do the right thing.

It's been 8 days.

Here is the condition of the car as of Saturday 5/12/12
Attached Thumbnails 2012 E350 - Blown motor with less than 1000 miles! What are my options?-imag1751.jpg   2012 E350 - Blown motor with less than 1000 miles! What are my options?-imag1752.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:23 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
O/T. but is that new V6's engine cover? Not nearly as nice as the previous V6's cover (looks like the top of an old Diesel motor or something).

.... Not like I ever look in there.... but if I do, I always dig the nice cover.

Anyway, hope it works out for you. At this point, they need to compensate you for lost time without the vehicle, at least if it hits 2 weeks of non use.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:09 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

It appears part of the cover has been removed for service access...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Ah, that would make more sense. I did see a pic of the new V6 motor before (in some magazine) and it looked very unflattering, but I assumed M-B would "refine" the look for the newer models, as their motors are usually clean and nice to see underhood (or motor covers, I mean).
Old 05-17-2012, 01:33 AM

C300 4Matic P1 18" rims
Paramus MB has to be the worst MB dealer in NJ.
I would never buy a car from them.
My last 4 MB were bought at Ray Catina in Edison
A very pleasant experience
Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 AM

e350
This entire thread makes me nervous as I purchased my first MB. Major mechanical problems are a deal stopper for me even if under warranty. It is a headache taking it to the dealer and back.

I'm still considering the new GS350, although the e350 looks and drives better, because of reliablity. It is conflicting though since consumer reports and JD power both rated the e350 as very reliable. What to do what to do.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Dude, don't sweat it. This is a FREAK occurrence. The W212 is proven to be most reliable in its class so far. The GS as homely and bland as it looks will be probably very reliable as well, but both are worlds ahead of the plagued 5-Series and if Audi stays close to its ideals, A6.

If you like the E more, then you have your pick, reliability of both the E and GS should alongside each other.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 E350 - Blown motor with less than 1000 miles! What are my options?