no sound from e350 comand unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Unhappy no sound from e350 comand unit

Hey Guys,
Got lots of good info here, so I appreciate any and all feedback.

I picked up a 2010 CPO E350 4Matic just a few weeks ago.
Did not have the new 2012 v.7 maps loaded on delivery, and did not have Bluetooth streaming, so after a week of driving it, initially, i contacted the dealer, and had them update the maps and comand software free of charge.

Since then, I have noticed some intermittent issue. Occasionally, when entering the car, I power on the comand (unit) before driving, and I get no sound. Everything absolutely works, nav maps come up, connects to my phone, song names show up, but there is ZERO sound from the speakers.

It gets very frustrating, especially when in a rush to go to work in the morning.
I have to restart the unit (turn off, turn on) maybe 15 - 20 times before the sound can come back. If I go to the "system" menu, then reset the entire unit, and wipe data, the sound comes back instantly.

Can anyone offer an possible solutions, or what this can be, or if they experienced this before.

It took me 2 days and 4 employees just to explain to my dealership that my car did not have the latest comand software, just for me to get the bluetooth streaming enabled, so i feel that going to the dealership will be complicated, since they are not tech savvy, which also does not make sense to me.

Any recommendations/suggestions are appreciated. I am under warranty, only have 35k miles on it, and then have the CPO warranty, so that is not the problem. It might be difficult to exactly replicate the issue, as I cannot run to the dealer the second the issue happens, I work during the week, cannot go to the dealer at my leisure. and need everything working!

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
I had the same exact issue that was resolved by replacing the Comand unit. I had been having issues with intermittent signal loss leading up to this final no sound issue that i believe contributed to the dealer replacing the unit.

On mine, the sound failed and after about 40 minutes of driving it restored the sound just before I could demo the issue to the dealer.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
what do you recommend is the best way for me to handle this situation with my dealer. i may not be able to replicate the issue as i come in for the appointment. any advice with this?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Use your phone to shoot video of the 20-30 on/off cycles to get your unit working. They will get the idea. Exchange your car for a loaner while they figure out what to do.
Good luck.

Wayne
Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
My situation was an ongoing issue, but I thing that pictures of everything time it happens and video of your recovery will work well also. Don't forget to call MB corporate and start an incident that they will work with the dealer to resolve.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 AM

E350 Coupe
I have the same problem with my E 2010 Coupe. it happens intermittent and restore itself after driving about 20-30 mins. i pay attention that when it happen the Logic 7 disappear. complain to the dealer they just upgrade the command system but the problem still persist. i hated to go there cuz i feel like a big complainer. but if anyone have a trick to fix this then please share.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 AM

2010 E350, 2006 ML350
i had the exact same problem last weekend. it never happened before, but it did after the update. i brought it in and they did a full system reset which they said will hopefully solve the problem...but if it persists then they said they would have to replace the entire center console
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 AM

2010 E350 4Matic
you can actually do a reset by yourself, by going into the system menu, that does solve the issue, but i did get the "no sound" bug back, even after a full reset. so, i am just waiting now for the issue to happen again, so i can take a video with my phone. it has been a week, and it has not re-occurred, but i am skeptical.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
I have this same issue. I read elsewhere that it is due to a faulty amp but not sure if this is true.
Anyway, when it happens I've tried to drive straight to the dealer only to find that on the way there it starts to work... Shooting video of it seems like a good idea because since no fault codes show up, it is impossible to see anything wrong.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550
I had my amp go out a couple of months ago, and tried to reset it via the engineering menu but that did not bring it back to life. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the amp. Sounds like bad QC on their amps.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
I just had this start happening today. Turned on car with Comand on and sound cut out after few seconds. Phone was hooked up and display looked normal. Punched mute button to ensure not off. Reset system by turning on and off, had issues with sound again and reset second time. At 42 k, will take to dealer for fix. Might need extended warranty...
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM

2010 E550 coupe
So three of things I've noticed on mine when this happens is:
- always happens from a cold start and never happens once the system is running.
- I know when it isn't working because the warning beeps when you turn the ignition on are not audible.
- trying to switch to a different audio source does nothing. In fact it appears that the COMAND unit no longer sees some of the sources because the satellite radio no longer appears on the list of sources nor does the traffic soft button appear on the nav screen.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
dropped off car at dealer last night, waiting to hear back. service advisor was able to see the issue, i rushed over there after work, when i got in the car, again no sound! so i will post back more information when i get it.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 EQS 450 4-Matic Sedan
Add me to the list - 2010 E550 sport sedan. I'm suspecting (weigh in on this theory) the common thread for this problem is that the command system was updated with new firmware to enable bluetooth audio streaming. I've got the symptoms captured on my iPhone video and am eager to hear your results with the dealer GaryGems before mine goes in for another fix.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM

e350
Originally Posted by Petep
Add me to the list - 2010 E550 sport sedan. I'm suspecting (weigh in on this theory) the common thread for this problem is that the command system was updated with new firmware to enable bluetooth audio streaming. I've got the symptoms captured on my iPhone video and am eager to hear your results with the dealer GaryGems before mine goes in for another fix.
MB can't get this command center right. If you look at CR (consumer reports) complaints, there are alot of comand unit problems.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
Originally Posted by Petep
Put me down as another who has had the upgrade (2010) to BT Audio and has intermittent issues with no sound. Two things I've noticed. (1) I went months without a problem, and then it seemed to happen right as the weather turned warmer. And it seems the other people with this problem started popping about the same time my problem started. Also (2), the times were close to the - in one case the same - time I put my iPhone on a charger plugged into the lighter socket.

Might just be coinkeedink...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Hope everyone that is having a problem is contacting MBUSA to make sure they know about it. This is how TSB's and recalls get started.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Just got mine back from dealer. Updated COMAND software. No more issues so far...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM

2010 E350 4Matic
back from dealer, forgot to post sooner. they could not figure it out, so the shop foreman worked on it himself. he "reset" the sirius radio module, and then the sound suddenly started. i didn't need any update, since the update was just recently done. he said that it should be all fixed. but, i am glad that i have everything documented with the dealer, and will just bring it right back to service if it happens again.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 AM

E350
2010 E350 Command Malfunctions

I've had random malfunctions of nav, audio source, backup camera, sound and keyless go since the car was new. They asked me to provide video to prove it. The car has been in for service countless times and last week I provided a detailed email with video and sound clips; yet once again they state that no problems were found. I later learned that those working on the car never saw the info I provided. Two months ago the car started losing sound (in & out) for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. I asked for a new command system 3 months in, but they refused stating they could not reproduce the problems. Even with video, they are still refusing. Either MB does not have the technology to diagnose the computers they've put in these cars, or they are taking the position that if they find no problem, there is no problem. I'm told that unless they can reproduce the problem, corporate will not allow them to replace the "costly" command system. I spoke with corporate about all this when the car was 3 month old, and they blew me off then. Any suggestions as to how one can convince MB to do the right thing by their customers?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:39 PM

2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by garygems
back from dealer, forgot to post sooner. they could not figure it out, so the shop foreman worked on it himself. he "reset" the sirius radio module, and then the sound suddenly started. i didn't need any update, since the update was just recently done. he said that it should be all fixed. but, i am glad that i have everything documented with the dealer, and will just bring it right back to service if it happens again.
Gary - has it happened since? I've had some more occurrences and have noticed that after about 15 minutes the system starts working!
I've got a video of it not working but haven't been into the dealer yet.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 PM

2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by D2010E350
I've had random malfunctions of nav, audio source, backup camera, sound and keyless go since the car was new. They asked me to provide video to prove it. The car has been in for service countless times and last week I provided a detailed email with video and sound clips; yet once again they state that no problems were found. I later learned that those working on the car never saw the info I provided. Two months ago the car started losing sound (in & out) for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. I asked for a new command system 3 months in, but they refused stating they could not reproduce the problems. Even with video, they are still refusing. Either MB does not have the technology to diagnose the computers they've put in these cars, or they are taking the position that if they find no problem, there is no problem. I'm told that unless they can reproduce the problem, corporate will not allow them to replace the "costly" command system. I spoke with corporate about all this when the car was 3 month old, and they blew me off then. Any suggestions as to how one can convince MB to do the right thing by their customers?
That's such a pain. If you haven't already, I would start documenting every occurrence (date, time, duration, etc.) Once you've got a couple of weeks of data, demand to see the service manager and go over it with them. If still no joy, go to MBUSA again. At that point, I would also start looking into any lemon law type legislation in your area that might help.
My dealer said that MBUSA wouldn't let them replace the COMAND unit on a whim. However, with enough supporting evidence (like the video you had in the first place), I'm surprised they didn't take that step. I'm also not surprised that they can't find anything wrong. If no error is thrown, they're not going to find anything wrong.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM

2010 E350 4Matic
So, even with the sat radio "reset", which to me doesn't mean crap, the issue still re-occurs. I will definitely bring my car in straight to the dealer next time it happens, although it occurred in the middle of our heat wave, i was not a happy camper to drive up and leave it for service. bottom line, it still happens.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 AM

2010 E550 coupe
I spent some time this evening playing around with the COMAND system including going into Engineering Mode to do the reset. Long story short, resetting it did absolutely nothing.
I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is heat related since I seem to be getting it more and more frequently now that we finally have warm temperatures in the Pacific Northwest.
I also found three fault codes in the Engineering Mode log: two are "DTCc020 B-CAN driver error" and one is "DTCc146 Lost com. with CGW"
I've not been able to find out too much about them, but I believe that the B-CAN (CAN-B bus) has the audio gateway and the central gateway (CGW) connected to it. The codes have temperatures logged with them which are 34, 42 and 55 degrees (Celcius) respectively. The first temperature is only about 90F but the last two are much higher.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:06 PM

2010 E550 coupe
Looks like we may have an answer. See https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post5271744

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: no sound from e350 comand unit