E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Do our cars have Black Boxes? Apparently they are coming either way...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Do our cars have Black Boxes? Apparently they are coming either way...

Just read this article on Wired about pending legislation concerning black boxes...

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05...ess-black-box/

Does anyone know for a fact if Mercedes installs these black boxes in our cars or if they are there but MB has not disclosed how to access the information so the information is essentially out of reach for anyone.

In any case it looks like things might change in 2015 but would be good to know what the current situation is and I wonder how far back this data goes (5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days?)...

Apparently if something should happen on the road in the not too far distant future, the first thing an officer coming to the scene might be sticking something in your car to get the data from the car's black box covering god knows how long of a duration of information...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
i cant answer your question totally but here is what my personal experiences have been where i live. law enforcement here are unable to obtain data from mercedes with there current tools. when they do need info from a crash involving a MB they have approached the local dealer who has refused to pull the information. now with a court order idk. maybe MB is telling people it can not be read. idk but i do know LE cant read it here at least and MB is not reading it for them. probably to avoid techs being in court and things of that nature. just a guess.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Thanks for the info... Where is here BTW?

Originally Posted by eagle_lex
i cant answer your question totally but here is what my personal experiences have been where i live. law enforcement here are unable to obtain data from mercedes with there current tools. when they do need info from a crash involving a MB they have approached the local dealer who has refused to pull the information. now with a court order idk. maybe MB is telling people it can not be read. idk but i do know LE cant read it here at least and MB is not reading it for them. probably to avoid techs being in court and things of that nature. just a guess.