Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by jvc300
I would like to see Keyless, bi-xenon, etc as standard items, but if MB could take an approach like Porsche were you order leather (Dash, knobs, trim, color) , seats (Two tone, different grades of leather, etc) , performance (Sport, Shock mode, Suspension systems, etc) , and other bits to personalize the car to really be your own.
Designo is okay, but the choices are slim. Most 911's are unique due to their personilized choices that buyers have. Yes, know I'm comparing sport vs lux, but would I like more options.
I actually like having things as Options, as even Keyless Go and HID's are ways to "individualize" your car from the rest. Already MBUSA are cutting so many options to differentiate our cars already, making HID's and Keyless Go as standard would make things extra boring further generalize the features these cars come with. IMO, if you want both, pay up for them, they're actually a good value in the P2 Package.

Porsche is awesome at letting you individualize your car to the point where it'd be about impossible for other people to have your exact same setup, yet at the same time, the way they go SO FAR in breaking things down a'la carte, not putting logical bundled things in certain packages (forcing you to get them a'la carte), and how they price gauge you is practically robbery. No wonder they have the highest profit margins.

I personally like how BMW does their optioning. It's not as dumbed down and simplified as M-B's (nor as cheap, on the other hand), yet not as complex as Porsche's. They still charge for "enthusiast Options" like the M-Sport Package, unlike M-B who make the AMG Sport Package free, ruining what used to be a rare-effect of it, and giving their entire lines a "fleet car look" where all are visually similar. BMW's generally have more interior color scheme options, and just a more interesting ordering guide in general. MBUSA seem very lazy and short term revenue thinking IMO ("you can have it any way you want.... as long as it's exactly the same as all the other ones").
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,393 Likes on 2,840 Posts
2012 CLS63
I like the simplicity of MB ordering......BMW is pretty confusing....never
tried
to order a Pcar......but from the sounds of it the options would drive me crazy.......
but yeah, all the a la carte options are awesome ways for the companies to make more money! and they know it.......
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Yeah, I dare anyone to try and order a P-Car without going absolutely nuts.

I played with a 991, and every time you thought you were done.... "WHAT?! ANOTHER PAGE?!".

.... Not to mention, the classic.... "WHAT?! THAT EXPENSIVE A$$ PACKAGE I CHECKED DOESN'T INCLUDE THIS?!?!". No thanks (when money is no object, sure. ).
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
haha.......I don't feel or look right in P's anyway
Old 05-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I like the simplicity of MB ordering......BMW is pretty confusing....never
tried
to order a Pcar......but from the sounds of it the options would drive me crazy.......
but yeah, all the a la carte options are awesome ways for the companies to make more money! and they know it.......
There is no practical reason for anyone to buy a Porsche...one does it because they want the thrill of owning a Porsche and of course the driveability of the car.

Since it is effectively an expensive (and very fun) toy, Porsche gives the buyer all kinds of ways to tailor the car with the frills of their choice. They do, by the way, have some packages of the basics...but yes, there are pages of colored handles, guages, custom colored seats, custom color seat belts and so on.

It's pretty easy to configure a well equipped and rational Porsche (if there is such a thing)....only about 5 or 6 features needed.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by ghstudio
There is no practical reason for anyone to buy a Porsche...one does it because they want the thrill of owning a Porsche and of course the driveability of the car.

Since it is effectively an expensive (and very fun) toy, Porsche gives the buyer all kinds of ways to tailor the car with the frills of their choice. They do, by the way, have some packages of the basics...but yes, there are pages of colored handles, guages, custom colored seats, custom color seat belts and so on.

It's pretty easy to configure a well equipped and rational Porsche (if there is such a thing)....only about 5 or 6 features needed.
that's actually a GOOD POINT bro......
they are toy cars I guess.....in a manner of speaking....
makes sense now......all the options and color choices..

rock on
Old 05-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by K-A
Yeah, I dare anyone to try and order a P-Car without going absolutely nuts.

I played with a 991, and every time you thought you were done.... "WHAT?! ANOTHER PAGE?!".

.... Not to mention, the classic.... "WHAT?! THAT EXPENSIVE A$$ PACKAGE I CHECKED DOESN'T INCLUDE THIS?!?!". No thanks (when money is no object, sure. ).
Been there... Lol
Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350
Ordering guide doesn't mention this, but NetStar was updated today. Mbrace2 is standard upgrade now for 2013 models. I'm also glad to see the BlueEffiecieny badge gone, everyone asks me if they are diesel....
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350W4
Originally Posted by mbmvaughn
...I'm also glad to see the BlueEffiecieny badge gone, everyone asks me if they are diesel....
Yeah, had to explain to my wife the difference between Blue Efficiency and Bluetec the other night. She was telling everyone we had a Bluetec because of the badge! lol So cute when the ladies of our lives try to "fit-in" w/ the car jargon...