E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E350 Wagon - 4000 miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Wagon, 2011 VW GTI
Smile E350 Wagon - 4000 miles

Well we've had our E350 wagon for 3 months and we just love it. We got rid of our every-45-days-another-problem X5 and we haven't missed it at all. One of the pleasures is being able to drive the E350 on the autobahn every day. This is my wife's car so I don't get to drive it that often but when I do, I open it up. I usually drive around 80-90 mph but this car is effortless to 120 (and beyond). This car is solid. More importantly, the space is so much more functional than our old X5. We average around 21 mpg and I think most of that is attributed to the hills we live in. I really only have three complaints about the car:

1.) Lack of rear back up sensors are absurd. All my German colleagues ask me why I didn't choose that option on such a car
2.) Same for power folding mirrors - did MB really save that much money?
3.) The user interfaces on the steering wheel and center console could be better (less steps).

What we love: everything else that I forget about the three things above!

The car looks gorgeous every time I look at it. Once we move back to the US the windows will get tinted and the white paint job with pano roof will look great with the darker windows.

Mods so far: Blue efficiency de-badge
Mods TBD: at some point some new wheels but that can wait until next year. Like I said, wife's car.

Happy Father's day to all!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 632 Likes on 477 Posts
W212 FL
You treated yourself to an amazing vehicle
Good to read positive feedbacks

I am surprised to see lack of gadgets you mentioned . I think folded mirrors could be an option or packet available but I presumed park sensors were standard
Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 AM

2012 E350 Wagon, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by BenzV12
You treated yourself to an amazing vehicle
Good to read positive feedbacks

I am surprised to see lack of gadgets you mentioned . I think folded mirrors could be an option or packet available but I presumed park sensors were standard

Regarding the gadgets - it's the steering wheel ones in particular. I don't like having to scroll through multiple menus to change the radio station and then not see the outside temp or mileage. It's more nit-picky then anything else.

For whatever reason, on the US wagon models you can't get parking sensors only a back up camera. I think it has something to do with the US vs. Euro bumper regulations.

When I drove by the dealer the other day I saw a wagon just like mine...except it had the nice e63 badge. I was hoping to do an "accidental" key swap.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by eaweg1
For whatever reason, on the US wagon models you can't get parking sensors only a back up camera. I think it has something to do with the US vs. Euro bumper regulations.
Indeed - the NAFTA bumper bracket is different from the Euro version and the PARKTRONIC sensors could not be integrated. This will be fixed for MY14.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 632 Likes on 477 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by eaweg1
Regarding the gadgets - it's the steering wheel ones in particular. I don't like having to scroll through multiple menus to change the radio station and then not see the outside temp or mileage. It's more nit-picky then anything else.

When I drove by the dealer the other day I saw a wagon just like mine...except it had the nice e63 badge. I was hoping to do an "accidental" key swap.
I like W212 wagons , recently we had a member with E63 AMG too . Check out his car , I am sure you will like it

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
Indeed - the NAFTA bumper bracket is different from the Euro version and the PARKTRONIC sensors could not be integrated. This will be fixed for MY14.
Thanks for explanation , now things are straightened out
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 AM

2011 E350 4Matic Estate in Mystic Red
Originally Posted by YYZ-E55

That was a major gripe I had with the car (front and rear sensors) but now I find the back-up camera a more useful tool that the sensors. To be honest, the beeping sound can get quite annoying at times, especially the front ones. I would find the rear sensors superfluous with the back-up camera now.

Despite this, what I would like are the front sensors - given that at least my T-model is lower than many other cars (a lot of cars have been jacked up over the last years) some of our higher curbs (due to winter) would hit the front of the car if I am not careful.

The most ridiculous rear sensors application I have ever seen so far are those fitted to the NA Fiat 500 (great car by the way). What they must be thinking about the competency of North American drivers....