E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Why aren't the seat memory setting tied to the key anymore?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E300 • 2016 Tesla Model S 75D
Why aren't the seat memory setting tied to the key anymore?

I've brought up before that the E350 no longer has the "seat convenience" feature where it would automatically move the seat back when you open the door for easy entry (similar to the steering wheel moving upward) and was told that apparently it never worked right, though we never had a problem in our E320.

I figured though at the memory functions would still work though but apparently that's gone too...or is it just my car?

In the E320, my key was tied to my memory settings and my wife's to hers. So if I drove the car, all I had to do is insert the key and it would automatically go to my settings. If she drove the car and used her key, it would go to her settings.

In the 2012 E350, you have to press the memory button on the door every time you switch drivers, it no longer does it automatically. Why did they do away with this?
Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
Cutting corners ?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
In some ways, it doesn't work. Let's say a tall driver and short driver. After the shorty has driven, the tall driver would have to squeeze into that little space, while waiting for the seat to adjust --- which takes a bit of time. I run into that issue after my wife has driven and simply punch the button and wait several seconds before trying to get in.

The REAL issue is how slowly the seats adjust, and the fact that you have to hold the button down until the seat and headrest are done. (2011 E550) Those issues are infuriating. The right approach, of course, would be to allow one touch of the button and as long as the car is not moving, the seats do their thing --- and more quickly. I'm sure the lawyers got in the way on this one.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 619 Likes on 466 Posts
W212 FL
Originally Posted by Live Oak
In some ways, it doesn't work. Let's say a tall driver and short driver. After the shorty has driven, the tall driver would have to squeeze into that little space, while waiting for the seat to adjust --- which takes a bit of time. I run into that issue after my wife has driven and simply punch the button and wait several seconds before trying to get in.

The REAL issue is how slowly the seats adjust, and the fact that you have to hold the button down until the seat and headrest are done. (2011 E550) Those issues are infuriating. The right approach, of course, would be to allow one touch of the button and as long as the car is not moving, the seats do their thing --- and more quickly. I'm sure the lawyers got in the way on this one.
As I recall, it was a safety feature . A member commented on why you need to press and hold the memory button until your setting is done .
A reckless person dropped a cigar in his cars 12V socket after he pressed the button once .I think as you said , unless you are on the move once press or touch the button should do the job
Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 CLS450 4 Matic 2011 E550
Originally Posted by Live Oak

I don't understand why MB doesn't have the one touch feature for the set memory. Every other car I had has this. It only worked when the vehicle was in park. It really doesn't make any sense that why MB doesn't have this incorporated in its cars. It's a common feature in 25k cars. Like others have said I just set my seat before getting in when after the wife drives.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tesla
back in the W211 days, this was one of the complaints by many new owners. Many people didn't realize seat memory is also tied to key, so it caused a lot of confusions as to why the seat memory doesn't work as expected. I guess they simplified it to avoid the hassles.

Most of the VW related vehicles (including Audi and Porsche) still have seat memory tied to the key, and every few days there will be a new owner complaining the seat memory has a mind of its own...