E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Recommended source for MB Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Nope, not from mine.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by RSIKR
As CEB and others have pointed out you can buy a manufacturer's extended warranty at any time prior to the expiration of the original warranty, 4years/50k miles in our case.

Even if it costs more to wait why buy it when you are covered by the original manufacturer's warranty? What if you hate the car 4 years or 50k later? What if the vehicle is totaled or stolen? Why front the premium for something you may not need for as long as 4 years from now? The worst possible situation would be to buy it at time of purchase and then roll it into the car payments and pay interest on it. Transferable? What if you don't buy another MB?

I always wait until near the expiration of the original warranty and weigh the purchase against my miles per year pattern as there are different combinations of mileage and years of coverage available.

As suggested by several forum members price shop the extended warranty with other dealers via phone. Just ask for the Financial & Insurance person. F & I people make their money on selling extended warranties, financing (if they can charge an additional point or two on the interest), and things like tire and wheel insurance. Years ago they were able to sell undercoating, paint and fabric protectors, chrome tissue dispensers (really) and other money makers.

BTW read the policy for tire and wheel insurance, by my recollection it only covers the original tires, so the 3 year covers until the tires are worn out. If in doubt ask for a copy of the contract and read what it covers carefully.
The unused amount of the extended warranty is pro-rated back to you should you trade out of the vehicle before using all of the extended warranty. So you do lose some but not all of the cost. I purchased the 7yr/100K mi. warranty from MB. I paid 2900 for it. For the E350, the list price is $4,300. Shop around prices can vary significantly from one dealership to another. Also, if the warranty is purchased after the first 30 days of ownership, MB (not the dealership) charges a 15% surcharge. This 15% is waved by MB from time to time so definitely check with the selling dealer.

Last edited by ImInPA; 10-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 McLaren 650s, 2016 Porsche GT4
I am interested in purchasing an MB USA extended warranty on my 2009 SL550. Please PM me the contact information for this dealership. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
I just bought a CPO 2010 E350 (love it). While shopping I called the dealer in WI and the contact mentioned above is no longer there (interesting). It was the new guy's 2nd day and he told me he wasn't going to be able to help at least at this time. My dealer was sticking firm on the price is the price (list at 2,296 for CPO extension of 2 yrs 135k). Using what I read here (only looked for a short time) I was able to negotiate in MA down. Of course, afterwards I found that I probably could have gotten them down a bit more.