E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

A/C smells like feet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 E400/W212, 11 C300 Sport, 07 ML350, 04 BMW X5, 03 ML350, 86 560SL, Fav? S-76B !
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
That's weird. My E400 auto open its FRESH AIR VENT during engine shut down regardless of FRESH or CIRCULATE mode before engine kill.
You are talking of the Fresh Air Vent above the battery and has the special water deflection/separator box...correct ? I attached photo below...........
Could it be that I am in the tropics and my local MB program it as such ?

I been reading in this forum and wondering to why USA W212 owners can have smelly aircond issue, while I am in the tropics with very high humidity all year round which is the
recipe for disaster and yet MB owners here don't have the smelly air-cond issue, even for GLE series which I heard has a US class action law-suit for the smelly air-cond evap.

Nope, I do not have REST feature on my air-cond and prior to engine shut down, local owners do not on purpose turn compressor off and keep evap blower fan running hoping to dry the condensate on the evap.

EDIT : oops I think CopterDude refers to aircond discharge vents in the car interior ? The one for the windshield ? My bad, sorry.

Anyway, worth a check if US market cars has its FRESH air vent flap above battery box open or not during engine kill, even when mode chosen is CIRCULATE.
I think this air passage may help a bit to dry the evap from condensate.

I go through the 2 center vents just below the Command screen. They "seem" to allow me to drop the hose down to the opposite side of the evaporator vs. the inlet side via the filter housing (this is NOT the main fix though). Yes, when doing the full cleanse as described, a new filter, and I'm done with the foam, I spray Lysol through the inlet above the battery as you pictured under the hood (I do that every time I change the oil too, or I'm under the hood and think about it). I'm not sure about specific programming, but I set my fan to on, no a/c, no recirc, engine running, and it's usually open. A couple of times it's been closed, but I was in Vegas at the time and (maybe) it was sensing something and it closed.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,387 Posts
2014 - W212 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Some market get the more advance aircond with pollution/air-quality sensor. Maybe you have that version where it can detect air-quality level and auto close the fresh air vent above battery box and you get Re-Circulate as active even when you manually choose Re-Circulate.

My market always get all the el-cheapo item.... and we can't choose any options, buy it as is. After all this is locally assembled, so they keep things simple.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...t-does-do.html

In my city I always choose mode as RE-CIRCULATE, but MB auto-timed it and will open the fresh air flap above the battery and be FRESH AIR mode aka the light at the Re-Circulate button will be off like in 20-30 minutes or so.
I always over ride this auto-timed FRESH AIR event most time and make it Re-Circulate again. I never bother to wait and see till how long an auto-timed FRESH AIR mode will it actually set itself back to Re-Circulate.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 E400/W212, 11 C300 Sport, 07 ML350, 04 BMW X5, 03 ML350, 86 560SL, Fav? S-76B !
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
Some market get the more advance aircond with pollution/air-quality sensor. Maybe you have that version where it can detect air-quality level and auto close the fresh air vent above battery box and you get Re-Circulate as active even when you manually choose Re-Circulate.

My market always get all the el-cheapo item.... and we can't choose any options, buy it as is. After all this is locally assembled, so they keep things simple.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...t-does-do.html

In my city I always choose mode as RE-CIRCULATE, but MB auto-timed it and will open the fresh air flap above the battery and be FRESH AIR mode aka the light at the Re-Circulate button will be off like in 20-30 minutes or so.
I always over ride this auto-timed FRESH AIR event most time and make it Re-Circulate again. I never bother to wait and see till how long an auto-timed FRESH AIR mode will it actually set itself back to Re-Circulate.
You're probably correct. I usually have the car parked in the garage when I'm doing this, and even with the door open it's probably getting set off by the exhaust fumes. I guess it's time to do my homework and really figure this car out instead of just driving the hell out of it.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 E550, 1999 E320
Originally Posted by FireRx Captain
Thanks to you guys, I just did this procedure to my E 350 I purchased yesterday that had the musty smell. 30 mins worth of work saved me big dollars. The Kool-It foam spray was easy to use. have a mop ready to clean the Caca that drains on the garage floor after your Done
I did the same for my car using the drain plug and not dealing with the cabin filter and it fixed it and the car is been running great The musty smell is from the condenser tubes and the drain is the way to get to it.