E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bluetooth phonebook setup fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Bluetooth phonebook setup fix

If you have an android phone and you find that your phonebook is most often "not loaded" when you go to voice dial...you are not alone.

When your car (comand 4.0/4.5) is turned on, it pairs with your bluetooth phone, it then erases the phone list and tries to reload the latest list from your phone. What you probably have never seen is that when it tries to reload the list, your phone notifies you in the message area, that very small slice on the top of the page, that it needs permission. If you don't see that, or don't respond, nothing gets sent to the car. That's been happening to me for almost a year now...and the dealer has no clue....something about it only working with some phones..tough luck.

Well there is a simple fix. Before you start your car, get your android phone out and turn it on...then turn on the mercedes. Comand will see your phone and connect with it. Then it will erase the phone book it has and ask your phone for the latest phonebook. Your phone will pop up a message in that very small almost unreadable message area on the top of your screen.

Now here's the trick....you have to hit that message bar quickly so a window pops up that asks you to give permission which you obviously are going to do....but before you do that, there is also a box to check that says "don't ask this again"....click on that and you have just fixed the problem!!!!!

Note: you could also click this box when you first paired your phone because at that time, the full window asking permission pops up ...make sure you select "don't ask me again" box.

Hope this helps someone....the dealers have no clue on how to fix this problem.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto

In addition, for those who may not be aware http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/us/en/
Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
I don't have Android but thanks anyway , I like informative posts
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by konigstiger

In addition, for those who may not be aware http://www.mercedes-benz-mobile.com/us/en/
Not sure when that page arrived on the scene....actually my problem was described in the FAQ, although the permanent solution wasn't.

Last edited by ghstudio; 07-15-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I've always wondered why our Blackberry Curve always seemed to couple so well with the BT but the Samsung Droid didn't.I'm gonna try to erase the Droid's and the BT's memories and couple them again as if they had never "met" and look for that special permission you describe.

Sounds promising to me.I once mentioned the problem to the Mercedes dealer and they said "ask Verizon" and when I asked Verizon they said....well,you can guess the rest.

Last edited by listerone; 07-15-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Ghstudio...you're a genius!

I unpaired my Droid from the BT and then paired it again,watching for the warning that you mentioned.Now,the phone "couples" on startup (it often didn't before) and my phonebook downloads and the call history shows up.None of this was the case before.Also,my phone no longer gives the little tone that it did before,which I always dismissed as being just a confirmation of coupling.It now appears that that tone was a request for permission to send data to the Comand system.

Of course it's possible,I suspect,that I could have figured this out myself if I had just read the 300 page Droid manual *and* the 250 page Comand manual!