E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

unexplained sudden braking

Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by BenzV12
Good to see that glitch was found
On the contrary....if the airport radar was the problem, the dealer should have instantly called mercedes legal.....

The problem remains unsolved.....and potentially serious
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350
Originally Posted by ghstudio
On the contrary....if the airport radar was the problem, the dealer should have instantly called mercedes legal.....

The problem remains unsolved.....and potentially serious
You guys need to relax. I'm and RF engineer and telecom expert. This was not caused by the air traffic radar. Freaky one time things happen. The car's radar got mixed up and saw something that wasn't there.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM

2013 E350
Whenever I drive to an airport loading/unloading area, it is at best controlled chaos. I would bet that the car's radar saw a vehicle that the driver didn't. Maybe a driver opened their door or started to pull in front of the OP.

JK
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by bigh123
You guys need to relax. I'm and RF engineer and telecom expert. This was not caused by the air traffic radar. Freaky one time things happen. The car's radar got mixed up and saw something that wasn't there.
Don't know what happened but it was completely unrelated to the airport. While Audi blind spot detection systems set off automotive radar detectors all the time, airport electronics will not affect any in-car systems.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by jbec.keane
Whenever I drive to an airport loading/unloading area, it is at best controlled chaos. I would bet that the car's radar saw a vehicle that the driver didn't. Maybe a driver opened their door or started to pull in front of the OP.

JK
I should clarify, i wasnt at the loading/unloading area yet, if anyones been to MSP airport theres a long road (bout 1/4 mile) that splits at the end going up for drop off and down for pickup, i was half way down that road when it happened. it was just after 11PM and there was only one other car on the road, 2 lanes over to my right and about 20 feet behind me.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by bigh123
I agree that the airport radar was very unlikely to be the problem....the question remains, what did cause the problem....because that could lead to a serious problem while driving.

If the dealer wants to say it's airport radar...then he should call mercedes. Irrespective of the cause, the OP should report to NHTSA.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
It is far more likely, the OP hit the brake instead of the gas. Hard to believe this thread made it to page two. My money says that the driver was at fault for this. Nothing intentional, but, things happen. If it was my vehicle, I would get rid of it. That is too freaky a safety issue to wait for a fix. At the very least I would go to another dealer that was not so incompetent as to suggest airport radar. lol. Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I read some of these threads.....lol

Last edited by ImInPA; 08-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ImInPA
It is far more likely, the OP hit the brake instead of the gas. Hard to believe this thread made it to page two. My money says that the driver was at fault for this. Nothing intentional, but, things happen. If it was my vehicle, I would get rid of it. That is too freaky a safety issue to wait for a fix. At the very least I would go to another dealer that was not so incompetent as to suggest airport radar. lol. Sometimes I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I read some of these threads.....lol
I think the OP suggested airport radar initially. The OP braking would not account for the dash lights so it seems that the system saw something. Was it a divided split with the center divider cement? The car could have seen that and initiated braking.

When we drive, we identify hazards and steer around them. A cement divider in the road isn't a hazard for us as we know that we're going left or right but the car only sees a block of cement front and center.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 834 Likes on 603 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I should clarify, i wasnt at the loading/unloading area yet, if anyones been to MSP airport theres a long road (bout 1/4 mile) that splits at the end going up for drop off and down for pickup, i was half way down that road when it happened. it was just after 11PM and there was only one other car on the road, 2 lanes over to my right and about 20 feet behind me.

So did it happen at about half way point when you were getting under or just before that sky-walk between the B concourse on right and the parking garage on left?

I have had this happen three times on interstate at full speed when coming to an over pass. Just before going under a bridge I get the collision warning triple beep but it never applied brakes or the seat belt tension. I guess what ever the radar saw went away and it did not need to apply brakes.

All of these incidences happened while CC was on and foot was not even near the brake pedal on an empty road ahead of me. No other cars in sight.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Arrie
So did it happen at about half way point when you were getting under or just before that sky-walk between the B concourse on right and the parking garage on left?

I have had this happen three times on interstate at full speed when coming to an over pass. Just before going under a bridge I get the collision warning triple beep but it never applied brakes or the seat belt tension. I guess what ever the radar saw went away and it did not need to apply brakes.

All of these incidences happened while CC was on and foot was not even near the brake pedal on an empty road ahead of me. No other cars in sight.
it was a short ways after coming off the curve from the freeway, just past where the speed limit side is next to the B gates. So still a significant ways to go before the actual split. CC was not on, as i flicked it off a while back to overtake a car coming off west 7th.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
if this helps i took a pic off google maps, i was about where the red arrow is...i believe, im flying out again friday morning so ill try to take a photo from the car on the way in so you can see what i saw

Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

if this helps i took a pic off google maps, i was about where the red arrow is...i believe, im flying out again friday morning so ill try to take a photo from the car on the way in so you can see what i saw

Possibly the overpass, but please DON'T take a picture while driving.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by CEB
Possibly the overpass, but please DON'T take a picture while driving.
Wouldnt think it could see the overpass from that far, but who knows =/ And dont worry, im being dropped off, so ill be in the passenger seat :p
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wouldnt think it could see the overpass from that far, but who knows =/ And dont worry, im being dropped off, so ill be in the passenger seat :p

Sorry - I meant the overhead sign.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by CEB

Sorry - I meant the overhead sign.
hmm, i guess its possible? but given the number of overhead signs we all drive past every day, the chances of one causing this is remote, but im willing to believe it, a random fluke, stray radar beam, stray something could happen
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Mercedes e350 BlueTec
hmm, i guess its possible? but given the number of overhead signs we all drive past every day, the chances of one causing this is remote, but im willing to believe it, a random fluke, stray radar beam, stray something could happen
I'm ok with warning lights/signals inside the car....but if there is a feature on the car that I can't disable that can "on a fluke" hit the brakes on the car, I would be more than a little unhappy. If it happens on an interstate with tailgating trucks at 80mph, you could be toast in seconds.

If the dealer found "events" and can't explain them or claims that "these things just happen", I would not drive the car. I would file a safety notice with NHTSA and I would ask to speak to the area mercedes head service individual on the phone before I left the dealer. It is that unsafe...if what was reported is true. Not saying it's unsafe on any other car, but there is at least something seriously wrong with the car in question.

Perhaps the interim solution is for the dealer to find a way to disable that "feature", even though apparently you can't.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
+1 I would not drive the car either. That is a real safety issue if it happened the way the OP claims. I would either have a full explanation from MB along wiht the fix or I would be driving a different vehicle.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:09 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Still driving the car as for now i have no alternatives, but slowly and carefully, put in a message to MB about the issue, waiting to hear back from someone.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM

Black 2012 E550
Still driving the car as for now i have no alternatives, but slowly and carefully, put in a message to MB about the issue, waiting to hear back from someone.
Hope they take care of you as I very recently bought my car from the same dealer. I do not have the "active lane assist and distronic" feature. However, isn't there a way to turn off the active lane assist/distronic function through your "settings" function?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 GL450
I wasn't there so... But I do use cc and d+ all the time, and there are "features" that one must consider at all times. A MB with d+ is a car that essentially thinks for itself, but it can be fooled.

One possibility not mentioned is this: The car sees something, and gives its warning. IF, and I am not saying this is the case, the OP reacts perhaps unknowingly by tapping the brakes, the car will see this as affirmation of the perceived danger and will apply the brakes MUCH harder than it would if the warning chimes had not sounded. I think this is called brake priming. Even though the touch on the brakes is light, the actual braking is done at an emergency level. I've had this happen, and it is quite surprising. One might feel it is the car taking over the braking, but it is really driver initiated.

Also, like CEB said, there might have been a static object that the car sees but the driver knows he will steer around. There are also dynamic objects that pose no danger but which the car sees as static. For instance, a car turning left might be doing 10 mph (say) from its perspective but from yours will be essentially stationary for a brief moment. Likewise, a car doing 30 mph perpendicular to your path will be briefly stationary to d+ in front of your car. Your mind sees the dynamics and says there is nothing in your path. Yourcar does not see the dynamics, and says there is something you might hit. This too happens to me a lot, and I have had d+ activate a few times even with cc off.

My feeling is that something happened where the car believed there was a danger and the OP "confirmed" it by tapping the brakes or something, and the car went into an "emergency mode."
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by Packer Fan
Hope they take care of you as I very recently bought my car from the same dealer. I do not have the "active lane assist and distronic" feature. However, isn't there a way to turn off the active lane assist/distronic function through your "settings" function?
There is a way to turn Lane keeping off, however i use it all the time so i would like to keep it on. Dont think theres a way to 'turn off' dist+ other then just not setting it?