Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Hit & Run :(

Hi everyone,
My car was recently involved in a hit and run and there are a few huge scrapes (no dents) that go through the paint to the primer running on the front bumper. How much should it be for a standard respray? I'm not going through insurance, but I may just leave it alone if the price is too high.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I think you have to do the whole bumper. Also why not go through insurance? This will just go against your compressive portion of the insurance? I've had my cars damaged by others in the past and in each case it was covered by compressive insurance with no adverse effects... It is not considered an at fault incident. The fact that people do this to other;s property is why i keep my comprehensive deductible at $250.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
wow how fookin' lame!!!!!

doesn't insurance go up no matter what?
I can't stand insurance companies.....

I recently had a crash that resulted in big scratches too

good luck man,the karma is with you
Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 478 Posts
W212 FL
That sucks , sorry I can't help you but my best wishes with you

Well, this could be something that you can fix it yourself but if something goes wrong with the paint job, this could go very wrong

So, insurance should cover this , this is why you pay for them in generally speaking but I have no idea whether it could put a dent on your budget at renewal or lower your deduction fee if available but actually it should not because that was not your fault

Last edited by BenzV12; 08-27-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
I'm consistently amazed about how people do not understand the basics of insurance.

There are two basic portions of auto insurance - collision and comprehensive.

This is a bit simplified but comprehensive covers things that aren't your fault - wildlife accidents (never wash the deer guts off your car before you see the adjustor) fire and theft, glass (caused by road debris) and similar stuff. In theory, hit&run may be covered if you can prove that you didn't do it. Is there a difference between somebody scraping your car and you scraping another car?

Comprehensive has a separate deductible and it is fairly cheap to have a low deductible. I pay about $25 a year more for a $100 deductible over a $750 deductible. Accordingly, a windshield replacement costs me $100 at the dealer.

Comp claims do not (by law) affect your future rates)

Collision is for everything else. The cars you run into, the trees and houses you hit, the curbs you whack and the damage that somebody else may have done but you can't prove.

A low deductible is expensive and collision claims will affect future rates.

In general, you'll need proof before an insurance company will pay a hit&run under comp. Some people have had luck with police reports, surveillance videos, witness statements and so forth. Your deductible will still apply.

Homework for tonight:

Review your policy. What are your deductibles? Consider raising the deductible on collision (if you have few claims) and reduce the deductible on comp - you're way ahead if you have a windshield replacement every 5 years or so.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I can't prove that I didn't do it and I can't prove I wasn't at fault. The accident happened when the car was parked. I have to pay a $500 deductible and I'm pretty sure my rates will go up

I might live with it until I get rid of the car though
Old 08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
I was just assuming insurance always goes up because they're greedy ***** that enjoy making millions of dollars
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amaycg
I can't prove that I didn't do it and I can't prove I wasn't at fault. The accident happened when the car was parked. I have to pay a $500 deductible and I'm pretty sure my rates will go up

I might live with it until I get rid of the car though
Any cameras in the area? Who is your insurance - USAA is generally very good but your $500 is pretty daunting and a respray might not cost that.

Can you attach a picture?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I was just assuming insurance always goes up because they're greedy ***** that enjoy making millions of dollars
They'd love to but the lawmakers keep them from being too blatant about it.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Whenever I've had to claim insurance for damage by others they also took my word at it. If your car was parked and someone damaged it, how can you prove that? I think that is an unreasonable request from the insurance company. As was suggested earlier, a comprehensive claim should not affect your insurance. I suggest you keep the comprehensive deductible at $250 or less.

When someone backed into my car car once with a tow hook making a hole in my bumper I would have been furious if the insurance company asked me to "prove that." They were quiet fair about it and sent an adjuster to inspect the damage and I had my car fixed...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Whenever I've had to claim insurance for damage by others they also took my word at it. If your car was parked and someone damaged it, how can you prove that? I think that is an unreasonable request from the insurance company. As was suggested earlier, a comprehensive claim should not affect your insurance. I suggest you keep the comprehensive deductible at $250 or less.

When someone backed into my car car once with a tow hook making a hole in my bumper I would have been furious if the insurance company asked me to "prove that." They were quiet fair about it and sent an adjuster to inspect the damage and I had my car fixed...
You must have a very good relationship with your insurance.

Think of it this way.

If you back into a car with a tow hook then it is a collision claim as it is your fault - agreed?

If the pickup with the tow hook backs into you it could be a comp claim - agreed?

As Hype said - the insurance companies aren't on your side. Why wouldn't they want some sort of proof. If those were the rules then I would want proof before I paid out a dime. It is a very fair request and the level of proof would vary depending on incident.

In this case it is academic anyway because of the OP's $500 deductible. The damage can't be that bad anyway since he is willing to live with it.

A picture would help us help him.

Last edited by CEB; 08-28-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: fixed one of many typos
Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
I think you have to do the whole bumper. Also why not go through insurance? This will just go against your compressive portion of the insurance? I've had my cars damaged by others in the past and in each case it was covered by compressive insurance with no adverse effects... It is not considered an at fault incident. The fact that people do this to other;s property is why i keep my comprehensive deductible at $250.
Unfortunately, this will be considered collision by the insurance company. This will not be comprehnsive.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Interesting discussion. Few years ago I needed the windshield replaced on our Volvo S80, would have been $900 so went through insurance for $150 I think. However our rate went up $90/year as we no longer had a "no claim" discount. Reading this seems like my rate should not have gone up as a result of the comprehensive claim? Stone in windshield considered a collision claim as its a collision with a stone?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
Interesting discussion. Few years ago I needed the windshield replaced on our Volvo S80, would have been $900 so went through insurance for $150 I think. However our rate went up $90/year as we no longer had a "no claim" discount. Reading this seems like my rate should not have gone up as a result of the comprehensive claim? Stone in windshield considered a collision claim as its a collision with a stone?
Windshield coverage varies. It is not handled like collision or comprehnsive. Some companies charge nothing if the windshiled can be repaired. Mine charges $50 deductible for a replacement windshield. The runle of thumb (but not perfect) if the object that hits you is in the air, it is comprehensive. If it is lying on the ground and run over it, itis collision.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Windshield coverage varies. It is not handled like collision or comprehnsive. Some companies charge nothing if the windshiled can be repaired. Mine charges $50 deductible for a replacement windshield. The runle of thumb (but not perfect) if the object that hits you is in the air, it is comprehensive. If it is lying on the ground and run over it, itis collision.
Glass coverage varies by state. You can buy a separate glass coverage in some states. IIRC, MA had a "no deductible" glass claim.

Unless there is a separate glass policy, glass claims would fall under comp and the insurance company cannot raise the rates.

Comp claims are either not your fault or "acts of God." You cannot avoid that rock tossed up by the car in front of you - assuming that you see it at all and you can't avoid that tree that comes crashing on your car.

A few interesting points. If you swerve to avoid a deer and hit something it is a collision claim. If you hit the deer then something else then it is a comp claim.

If a tree limb hits your car it is a comp claim. If you hit a tree limb laying on the road then it is collision.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
I hear you but I just have State Farm. No special relationship. Over the last 15 years I've maybe had 3 comprehensive claims. Once my car was keyed (), and the other two times my car was damaged by others parking recklessly. Each time all it took was a call to get the claims process rolling. An adjuster came, gave me a check, and when the body shop wanted more money, they sent an adjuster again and another check was written. That was that.

Unless the insurance company can prove the damage was due to your negligence, I really don't see how they can take the stand that it is your fault unless you left a video camera running on a tripod next to your car when you left the car. It is just not a realistic or practical expectation.

With the Mercedes I am so careful where I park it and it is never parked where anyone can get too close to it. However I know if someone should damage my car while it is parked, with a phone call to my insurance company they will get the damage fixed without treating me like a fraud unless I somehow prove otherwise.

When the pickup backed into my Volvo and damaged it there is no way I could have proved that. But I don't feel it is fair for the insurance company to take the stand that unless you have constant video surveillance around the car, they will not cover damage to your car.

I've been considering switching insurance based on the advice of my dad (he wants me to save money) but it seems based on what you are saying my insurance company is pretty decent...

Originally Posted by CEB
You must have a very good relationship with your insurance.

Think of it this way.

If you back into a car with a tow hook then it is a collision claim as it is your fault - agreed?

If the pickup with the tow hook backs into you it could be a comp claim - agreed?

As Hype said - the insurance companies aren't on your side. Why wouldn't they want some sort of proof. If those were the rules then I would want proof before I paid out a dime. It is a very fair request and the level of proof would vary depending on incident.

In this case it is academic anyway because of the OP's $500 deductible. The damage can't be that bad anyway since he is willing to live with it.

A picture would help us help him.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is amazing. Most insurance companies would be losing money that way with people claiming se;f induced accidents as a hit and run - " My car was parked on the street when some tree jumped out of the shadows and vandalized my car.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
hmmm, I have not worried about parking next to people.....but I will say when I get a funny feeling about a particular car, I'll just photo it's plate just in case.......haha, but I have never had to use the pic
but I always check my doors when getting in my car......kind of a habit now.....
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
God forbid something happens, short of a full time DVR in your car that records everything around you, it won't really do you much good though... If you find damage when you come back they are likely going to be long gone and I doubt police will go with the theory that it was the car you thought was suspicious when they really can't prove anything.

There was a whole thread about parking on this forum a while back... I generally don't park someplace where people can get too close to me as they maneuver. Also I am usually pretty good about finding a spot where even if someone opens their door completely the door will clear my car. End spots are your friend...

hmmm, I have not worried about parking next to people.....but I will say when I get a funny feeling about a particular car, I'll just photo it's plate just in case.......haha, but I have never had to use the pic
but I always check my doors when getting in my car......kind of a habit now.....
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
yes, totally love end spots.....or the spots right next to a handicapped spot where the big white diagonal lines are, LOL....that offers a small buffer zone of protection if you park on the white lines......of course you have to play the odds that some half wit on his or her way home from the special olympics isn't eating at the same place as you.....
but then again I have seen handicapped drivers parked almost sideways in those spots.....sheesh......no offense to anyone here personally
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, totally love end spots.....or the spots right next to a handicapped spot where the big white diagonal lines are, LOL....that offers a small buffer zone of protection if you park on the white lines......of course you have to play the odds that some half wit on his or her way home from the special olympics isn't eating at the same place as you.....
but then again I have seen handicapped drivers parked almost sideways in those spots.....sheesh......no offense to anyone here personally
The special olympics reference is not nice and uncalled for.

While there are plenty of idiot drivers (regardless of disability) I'm less worried about the guy or gal on the other side of the striped line as the one on the other side who warks two milimeters away from your other side because you're crowding the striped line and gave them more room.

It would be nice if the police cracked down on the abusers of handicap hang tags - you know, the ones they "borrowed" from gramps so that they could get the prime spot.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
There's nothing more annoying that going out of your way to give LOTS of extra room for someone to park next to you and some idiot pulls in to your side just 10 inches from your car.