E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Winter tire pressure.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
Winter tire pressure.

So now that its getting really cold out, every time i start the car i get the warning that my tire pressure is low (fronts 26 rear 29). I know that when its cold the air contracts and lowers the pressure, which can make the readings flux. So Im curious what i should be aiming for in the winter, if on a cold start its at 26 is that ok? it will expand as i drive or should i go over-fill the tires to compensate for the cold?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So now that its getting really cold out, every time i start the car i get the warning that my tire pressure is low (fronts 26 rear 29). I know that when its cold the air contracts and lowers the pressure, which can make the readings flux. So Im curious what i should be aiming for in the winter, if on a cold start its at 26 is that ok? it will expand as i drive or should i go over-fill the tires to compensate for the cold?
Tire pressure should be the same winter or summer. Add or remove air as required to make the cold pressure equal the manufacturer's recommendations at any ambient temperature.

Regards,
Don
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
I've always assumed that recommended tire pressures were the same year round.Once a month I adjust tire pressure and in winter I put an extra pound or so in anticipation of colder than expected temps.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM

MB E 350 2010 4matic
I have nitrogen in my tires still tire pressure is down when very cold , any suggestion?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by mbwala
I have nitrogen in my tires still tire pressure is down when very cold , any suggestion?
It makes virtually no difference. Cold = reduced pressure.

My advice. It's free, so consider that.

Get a very good tire gauge. If you can, compare it to a friend's quality gauge to be sure it's within a pound or so. Spend a few bucks on a cigarette lighter plug-in compressor. No more crappy gas station air for a price!

Set your tires as specified on the gas filler door. Then set the TPMS. It will read differently from your tire gauge, but your gauge is almost certainly more correct. Use the TPMS as a warning device -- if a tire goes downhill, TPMS will tell you.

Periodically check and reset your tires using your gauge, especially when cold weather sets in. In normal weather, expect to lose about a pound a month,
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
That's right. From chemistry class PV=nRT; pressure * volume = number of moles (of gas) * universal gas constant * temperature Essentially pressure and temperature are linearly related.

A rule of thumb from the Tirerack says 1 psi change for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 AM

'11 E350 4Matic AMG Sport ,09 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan, 25,000miles,P1, MM Package, (Sold) 1998 E320
On my 09 c300 4Matic (r.I.p due to hurricane Irene) it said on the gas cap add 5psi in cold weather. I believe the c300 was 30 on front 35 in back (or visa versa) so in the winter I added 5psi to each tire. Not sure with my 11 e class I only had it a week... Hope this helps
Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
you can throw money out of your sunroof and get the same results
Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 891 Likes on 641 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by xolinlevh

You should use the pressure just the same way as in summer time. If you start with low pressures the tires will heat up quite a lot while you drive and the pressure will increase but if you have the correct pressure at the start of the drive they will not heat nearly as much. You don't over fill the tires if you use the correct cold pressures.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E550
Originally Posted by hyperion667
you can throw money out of your sunroof and get the same results

Yes!!

Nitrogen is used in airplane tires, for good reason. No oxygen means less deterioration in those special tires and wheels, that typically spend a lot of idle time sitting outdoors. And nitrogen leaks off a little bit more slowly.

Most important, a low tire on landing can put you upside down on a taxiway!!

But for a car??? No reason for it, except for the pretty green valve cap, a sense of gas superiority, and the need to line the coffers of the nitrogen supplier, especially if it's your dealer who didn't make enough money when he sold you the car.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 PM

E350 4Matic 2011
Originally Posted by Live Oak

Yes!!

Nitrogen is used in airplane tires, for good reason. No oxygen means less deterioration in those special tires and wheels, that typically spend a lot of idle time sitting outdoors. And nitrogen leaks off a little bit more slowly.

But for a car??? No reason for it, except for the pretty green valve cap, a sense of gas superiority, and the need to line the coffers of the nitrogen supplier, especially if it's your dealer who didn't make enough money when he sold you the car.

For a car, I have heard mechanics on some car TV shows explain that the nitrogen fill is beneficial when you have tire pressure monitoring hardware inside the wheel. The reason is that the nitrogen source should not have any moisture in it which can corrode the TPMS hardware over time.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Live Oak

Yes!!

Originally Posted by telemakhos
For a car, I have heard mechanics on some car TV shows explain that the nitrogen fill is beneficial when you have tire pressure monitoring hardware inside the wheel. The reason is that the nitrogen source should not have any moisture in it which can corrode the TPMS hardware over time.
corporate/industry propaganda
Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
My car calls for 30 front and 35 rear for normal, but I run 32 and 37. The Operator's Manual and fuel filler door label also have a higher TP, but that is for heavy loading, etc.
I check mine with a gauge about every two months and use a hand pump to add air if needed.
TP should be same at all times, regardless of weather or temps. Of course, they are going to go up when you are driving, especially on long trips.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
I exclusively only use 78% Nitrogen in my cars.

I believe the tire pressure should be the same in the winter and summer or otherwise on the little placard they'd list seasonal pressure figures, which they don't.