Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 S205 AMG
COUPE!! Differences

Hi
Hope i posted this in the right place.

Planning to buy a 2012 Coupe, and wonder how you can see differences between the different models?
Have seen some differences on the lower foglights, some have 2 round, some have the 212 "square" ones and some have just thesehttp://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...xMileage=90000

coulde someone please help me??
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
The difference between the fog lights are mainly just different year models. I think the 2 round ones are 2010 and before, hockey shaped ones are 2011, and straight are 2012 and forward.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 S205 AMG
Thanks alot, i thought to but was not sure.
Do you know if the coupe is based on c- class chassis?

Hmm, i having a laugh here
Almost all you cars starts at 350 series but here in norway, cars are sooo expensive and taxes on horsepowers are very high, so her we start at 180 Hehe
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
Originally Posted by sentralfyr
Thanks alot, i thought to but was not sure.
Do you know if the coupe is based on c- class chassis?
yes and the best way to get more answers is here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...brio-a207-141/
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E350
My dealer said the E coupe was a cash grab for MB since its the same chassis as the C. He told me to just get the C haha
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
The difference between the round fog lights and the LED lights has nothing to do with model year. It has to do with option packages. While it is true that the E coupe is built on the C chassis it is a very different car. The styling of the C coupe has in several magazine articles been likened to the Honda Accord. The E Coupe is 5 inches longer and 10 inches wider (mirrors not included). Nobody would mistake the E Coupe for a Honda. It is sleek and elegant with the pillarless roofline the longer hood and the traditional MB coupe ponton fenders. Oh, and don't let me forget the E550 with the biturbo V8. You need to go to the Coupe Forum (C207) to find all the info your seeking.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM

2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by alanme123
My dealer said the E coupe was a cash grab for MB since its the same chassis as the C. He told me to just get the C haha
The E Coupe' use's the 'C sedan' platform. Not a chassis. These cars do not have "frames" underneath them. The misconception is MB is going cheap and that is not true. The cars are all built using one body shell. The "Platform" is suspension components, rear axle and gearing, transmission, etc.

If MB wants the coupe' to be sportier then they have to change the suspension ( Shocks, etc).

So with that said the E coupe' is built using the same suspension and other drive train components used to build the "C Sedan" to give the E coupe sportier handling.

I have attached a picture of the C63 "platform" to give a visual of what I'm describing.
Attached Thumbnails COUPE!! Differences-mercedes-benz-c-63-amg-coupe-black-series-engine-drivetrain.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 939 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by jvc300
The E Coupe' use's the 'C sedan' platform. Not a chassis. These cars do not have "frames" underneath them. The misconception is MB is going cheap and that is not true. The cars are all built using one body shell. The "Platform" is suspension components, rear axle and gearing, transmission, etc.

If MB wants the coupe' to be sportier then they have to change the suspension ( Shocks, etc).

So with that said the E coupe' is built using the same suspension and other drive train components used to build the "C Sedan" to give the E coupe sportier handling.

I have attached a picture of the C63 "platform" to give a visual of what I'm describing.
The wheelbase of the C sedan and the E coupe are identical. Doesn't that me they are on the same chassis?
BTW I'm not trying to dis the E Coupe because it is on my short list. So I am interested in any information that I can get on it. My hope is that it is a hybrid between the E and C. Taunter than the E but nicer than the C

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-10-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM

2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
The wheelbase of the C sedan and the E coupe are identical. Doesn't that me they are on the same chassis?
BTW I'm not trying to dis the E Coupe because it is on my short list. So I am interested in any information that I can get on it. My hope is that it is a hybrid between the E and C. Taunter than the E but nicer than the C
The cars are unibody construction. The platform is not a frame or chassis. If you look at the picture in my previous post you can see that the driveshaft is the only thing that connects the front to the rear.
The E coupe is a sweet car and gives a nice sporty feel versus the floaty E sedan feel.
You could think of it as a hybrid of the E&C. Like you said it's taunter and its nicer than the C. The only reason I bought the sedan was the back seats. I may go for a 2014 coupe'.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM

E350 Coupe
This is a very small issue but, the following quote is from an article on CarFax explaining Unibody versus Frame.
"A frame or unibody provides a vehicle with structural strength. It is also used for mounting all the other systems that comprise the total car chassis."
It boils down to your preferred nomenclature. Platform or chassis it appears are pretty much interchangeable. The E does share the same suspension selection as the C Sport Sedan. Both cars have the option of Sport Tuning (firmer springs and shocks) available with the Agility Control Suspension. Sport Tuning is not available on the C Luxury Sedan. On the E 350 Coupe it is part of the Appearance Package.