E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Officially farewell W212, Hello F10 (new pics)....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by JDBKLYN89
Yeah any little trick helps. Black is not for the faint of heart, but I don't think anything compares to how beautiful a black car is the 3 minutes after you wash it haha. And don't worry, theres hope, my gf's father has a black 04' 5 series thats been his daily driver for 8+ years. Man the thing looks like it just got outta the showroom. Absolutely mint. The guys a fanatic about his cars, but goes to show you that a little work can go a long way with black.
Sweet. I guess I'll be learning new tricks as I go along. Hopefully in the process I don't go mental or totally ruin this car (both have already happened.... the former might be a lost cause but the latter I've somewhat mended for the time being).

Yeah, I really understand that basic "rule of black" now, i.e looks better than anything when just gleaming, but dirties and swirls up fast.

Oh well, I guess it'll be fun.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by K-A
Great info, thanks. I will check that out. Kinda wish I made this thread yesterday, before I dropped $100 on a polish/buff/sealant/wax at a Detailer who did eliminate the vast majority of swirls/holograms, but definitely left a bunch (and maybe added some with their own buffing).

I'm gonna have to live with whatever the cars got going on for at least 6 months and wash/wax it regularly myself, keep it looking at least as sharp and clean as it looks now, and then get a REAL correction done by then.

I wish I just Opticoated the car right when I got it
Take a look at the new Opticoat 2. They say it works as well as the original Opticoat, but you don't need to use their professional services to put it on and you can buy right off the shelf pretty much anywhere. I looked it up after reading your earlier posts on the other thread.

Apparently you do a standard detail/polish, including the clay bar, de-ionization and a very good final clean up to get all of the polish off (other wise you'll coat anything on the car to the car for ever). Then, instead of wax apply the opticoat 2 (there are even a bunch of Youtube videos showing the application process all of which claim that it works. I called the guys I use to detail my car and asked them about it and they were not familiar with it but have used similar coating products. They said that they would be happy to use any product that I would like them to use. Bottom line, pay for a detail and polish, buy Opticoat2 for $70 and done - it looks just about as easy to apply as a good wax.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
2013 ML350, 2019 S560
Originally Posted by MinnBobber
Congrats, sweet ride. Black looks great but is a beitch to keep clean and not swirl.
You may want to study up over on AutoGeek site. I was going to pay to have my new E350 detailed but studied up and did it myself. They have great info on washing properly (two bucket method) and prepping new cars.
As a starter, most new cars have rail/transport iron contamination and need Iron-X to remove this iron which penetrates and then claying to remove surface contamination. Then minor correction of swirls, polishing, and sealant or wax.

If you don't want to do yourself, AutoGeek folks could recommend detailer in your area. Caution---many detailers don't know what they're doing--you need to find a good one!!
Enjoy the new rig.
Congrats. Beautiful Car!

I have never had any swirls using 2 bucket method to wash my Obsidian Black E550. I change out the rinse water after doing upper half of the car.

Agree AutoGeek site is excellent resource. I also suggest a microfiber mitt to wash car, which seems to decrease risk of trapping dirt on finish and forming more scratches (swirls).

I use Meguiars quik detailer spray and it is excellent for quick cleanups. I use it when removing dried Klasse sealant from my finish. Not sure I would add any pigmented sprays or waxes to finish. My past experience with these were not helpful in maintaining finish on other cars. Better to rewax or reseal using a quality product.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by K-A
Sweet. I guess I'll be learning new tricks as I go along. Hopefully in the process I don't go mental or totally ruin this car (both have already happened.... the former might be a lost cause but the latter I've somewhat mended for the time being).

Yeah, I really understand that basic "rule of black" now, i.e looks better than anything when just gleaming, but dirties and swirls up fast.

Oh well, I guess it'll be fun.
K-A!
I have had my W212 'Black' for about two years now. I only use a 'super soft' mitt and a high quality car wash. I *never* take it too a car wash. Even a do it yourself because the soaps literally remove the wax.
I use a chamois too dry the car. Yes, a little more effort, but towels seem to leave a film where the chamois does not.

Bottom line: 2 years (26K miles) and no swirls. Looks like the day I bought it. B

Black is tough to maintain, but it's so beautiful when clean. Even if it's only ten minutes.

BTW: Ignore the internet Rambos. This maybe a MB forum, but I like to hear about all cars and the different perspectives we all have on those cars. Thanks for the new thread.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 S550 Iridium / Black Nappa, 2015 GL 550 Paladium Silver
K-A congratulations on the new ride and appreciate the first hand compare / contrast. I should also say "THANK YOU" for the many many pieces of useful information you have shared during your time here. Stop by once in a while to check in and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
For someone as picky (read = detail) as you, you need to find these kind of guys in your area for your jet black . Over the counter detailling products will not cut it to your liking. The keyword is "clarity".

https://www.facebook.com/EsotericDetail
https://www.facebook.com/premiumautoclinic

But somehow I got the feeling you'll be trading yours to a WHITE P-car 991 before 2014
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 132 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by K-A
Oh, and if you guys want to really have your minds blown, my F10 is over $40 less to insure a month than my E was (though $100 more for the year on my Liability Insurance side, still much lower on a grand scale for the year).

I have no idea why, but I ain't complaining.

Very strange! Total value and cost of repairs are similar on both cars. Maybe all us old guys driving MB's have a bad track record.

A few years ago, my premiums went up close to 20% on my renewal. I had no speeding tickets or any accidents. The insurance co. supposedly based the premiums on their claims experience in my area. I had my agent shop other insurance co.'s and I got a much better deal.

One car no one wants to insure is my Porsche. The premium is now relatively low but the deductible is $6,000.00.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ddeliber
Take a look at the new Opticoat 2. They say it works as well as the original Opticoat, but you don't need to use their professional services to put it on and you can buy right off the shelf pretty much anywhere. I looked it up after reading your earlier posts on the other thread.

Apparently you do a standard detail/polish, including the clay bar, de-ionization and a very good final clean up to get all of the polish off (other wise you'll coat anything on the car to the car for ever). Then, instead of wax apply the opticoat 2 (there are even a bunch of Youtube videos showing the application process all of which claim that it works. I called the guys I use to detail my car and asked them about it and they were not familiar with it but have used similar coating products. They said that they would be happy to use any product that I would like them to use. Bottom line, pay for a detail and polish, buy Opticoat2 for $70 and done - it looks just about as easy to apply as a good wax.
Grrr. Now I REALLY wish I made this thread before yesterday and dropping over a hundy to get the car detailed by guys who just didn't care enough (though they did to a multi step process). Yeah the Opticoat 2 sounds great. It's only a 24 month lease (unless I do something crazy and buy it out afterward of course but that's unlikely) so I didn't want to spend the $400+ on a professional Opticoat install.... though in reality if it truly is a "one time deal" type of thing it may have been even fiscally smart to do so.... so what you described sounds perfect. Get it "professionally" polished and clayed and then just immediately Opticoat 2 it myself. Maybe in 6 months from now I'll go ahead with that! Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by jvc300
K-A!
I have had my W212 'Black' for about two years now. I only use a 'super soft' mitt and a high quality car wash. I *never* take it too a car wash. Even a do it yourself because the soaps literally remove the wax.
I use a chamois too dry the car. Yes, a little more effort, but towels seem to leave a film where the chamois does not.

Bottom line: 2 years (26K miles) and no swirls. Looks like the day I bought it. B

Black is tough to maintain, but it's so beautiful when clean. Even if it's only ten minutes.

BTW: Ignore the internet Rambos. This maybe a MB forum, but I like to hear about all cars and the different perspectives we all have on those cars. Thanks for the new thread.
Thank you! Ahh, I'm jealous. Yeah I have to just start doing it right from here on out. I really hoped this "correction" I did would take out ALL the swirls, but as good as the paint shines right now, even after the detail job in bright sunlight there are swirls and holograms here and there.

I'm a big fan of the Chamois myself and IMO it's the best way to dry a car indeed. I also am gonna be really strict on carefully "California Car Duster'ing" my car as much as possible after washing it (of course while it's still clean and the "dirt" is just surface dust left by elements while parked or after very lightly driven). Finally, yeah I did realize that those stupid Car Wash's have some rough soap. After taking it to them you can literally feel your wax job greatly diminished.

And thanks, yeah I had my "fun" if you want to call it that, with the Rambo's, and over it at this point.

Originally Posted by Pntblnk
K-A congratulations on the new ride and appreciate the first hand compare / contrast. I should also say "THANK YOU" for the many many pieces of useful information you have shared during your time here. Stop by once in a while to check in and enjoy the ride.
Thanks very much, Pntblnk! Glad to hear that and will do.

Originally Posted by petee1997
Very strange! Total value and cost of repairs are similar on both cars. Maybe all us old guys driving MB's have a bad track record.

A few years ago, my premiums went up close to 20% on my renewal. I had no speeding tickets or any accidents. The insurance co. supposedly based the premiums on their claims experience in my area. I had my agent shop other insurance co.'s and I got a much better deal.

One car no one wants to insure is my Porsche. The premium is now relatively low but the deductible is $6,000.00.
Yikes! I didn't even factor that in when I was feeling a lot more frisky than I am now and trying to make a 991 Carrera work.

It was definitely a pleasant surprise to see the Bimmer cost less every month. Registration will naturally be more as the car is worth more but I'll save on maintenance too!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by K-A
Grrr. Now I REALLY wish I made this thread before yesterday and dropping over a hundy to get the car detailed by guys who just didn't care enough (though they did to a multi step process). Yeah the Opticoat 2 sounds great. It's only a 24 month lease (unless I do something crazy and buy it out afterward of course but that's unlikely) so I didn't want to spend the $400+ on a professional Opticoat install.... though in reality if it truly is a "one time deal" type of thing it may have been even fiscally smart to do so.... so what you described sounds perfect. Get it "professionally" polished and clayed and then just immediately Opticoat 2 it myself. Maybe in 6 months from now I'll go ahead with that! Thanks for the info.
Since most details come with a waxing, and it is near impossible to move a car without getting something on it (say from the detail shop -if it isn't your driveway- to your place), I'll bet you can get your detail-er to apply opticoat 2 instead of wax, assuming you give them the product ($70 from AutoGeek with a free microfiber towel :-). Unless of course you want to do it yourself.

If you believe the sales pitch, you won't need to wax it again. I am going to try it out on my wife's car first but not til the spring, a black Volvo.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

2013 E350 Wagon; 2009 328 xi
Originally Posted by K-A
BMW 535i Starting at $53,400 MSRP.
Mercedes-Benz E350 Starting at $51,000 MSRP.

My 535i as equipped: $63,850 (300 HP [though grossly underrated as it almost makes that at the wheels ])
My E350 as equipped: $58,100 (268 HP).

If anyone has an idea as to how that is I'm actually curious. Maybe the F10 has better crash test ratings? I figured if anything BMW drivers would get more tickets and/or accidents so it was a nice surprise.
That is really funny.

I have a 2009 328 xi and it costs much more to insure than my 2013 E350. like 35% more.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

That is interesting. Maybe more accidents/tickets by 3 drivers?

You guys wanna hear some BS: My 2011 E350 was more to insure than my 2010 E350. Why? Because they changed around how the NHTSA scores cars in 2011 (stricter), therefore the 2011 scored worse than the 2010 E which is the exact same car yet benefited from a less stringent crash test.

That's how much BS is involved in insurance rates. Nice to finally get a bone from them in some way or another though (for now).
Old 01-15-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
18'Porsche GT3, 16' Ram 3500 mega diesel,30' Model A Ratrod, 17' E43
KA,I like it. Love the front, side profile, but not feeling the rear end as much. The interrior is awesome, steps above and more fun then the E. Surprised with the M-pack that the wheel offsets aren't more aggressive. We had some crazy differences in the past(good ones), but good luck with the new ride. And as for the black color, my current E-550 will be my last black car, what a PITA... Now get on over to the BMW forums and bother the sh*t out of them....lol
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM

2013 E350 Wagon; 2009 328 xi
Originally Posted by K-A
That is interesting. Maybe more accidents/tickets by 3 drivers?
i am confident that is probably what it is as well. more young drivers with a 3 series = more accidents/claims.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM

E350 BT
Great car, K-A. I love the F10 interiors and the super-strong chassis.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
KA,I like it. Love the front, side profile, but not feeling the rear end as much. The interrior is awesome, steps above and more fun then the E. Surprised with the M-pack that the wheel offsets aren't more aggressive. We had some crazy differences in the past(good ones), but good luck with the new ride. And as for the black color, my current E-550 will be my last black car, what a PITA... Now get on over to the BMW forums and bother the sh*t out of them....lol
Thanks man! Yeah, I can imagine cursing the very existence of this beautiful color in due time (already happening). And you know I will.

Originally Posted by thekurgan
Great car, K-A. I love the F10 interiors and the super-strong chassis.
Thans thekurgan! Yeah, it's really an impressive machine I must say.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
As much as I like the look of certain black cars, I refuse to own one ever again. The only real answer, imho, is to never look at it up close and just drive it and try to forget about it.

K-A, as far as professional detailing is concerned you should use John Mikhail. He's in Northridge but recently he set up a mobile unit (although I'd personally go to his house instead.) I highly recommend him. He does an impeccable job and is a car fanatic. He's also a sponsor on the Bimmerpost forum.

http://www.exclusiveautodetail.com/About_Me.html

(A gallery of some of his work here: http://www.exclusiveautodetail.com/Gallery.php)

Last edited by 220S; 01-15-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 220S
As much as I like the look of certain black cars, I refuse to own one ever again. The only real answer, imho, is to never look at it up close and just drive it and try to forget about it.

K-A, as far as professional detailing is concerned you should use John Mikhail. He's in Northridge but recently he set up a mobile unit (although I'd personally go to his house instead.) I highly recommend him. He does an impeccable job and is a car fanatic. He's also a sponsor on the Bimmerpost forum.

http://www.exclusiveautodetail.com/About_Me.html

(A gallery of some of his work here: http://www.exclusiveautodetail.com/Gallery.php)
Yeah I don't know if I'll have the will to own one after this one. As someone said on the Bimmer forums: "Never look at it in sunlight, only show it off to people in the shade".

The car shines brilliantly right now, but in direct sun, blemishes even after extensive detailing. That's life with black. You just can't ever look at it too closely. It's all about the "Monet" factor, or else you'll go crazy for nothing.

Thanks, I'll look into that guy. Looking for stuff like that. I wonder if he applies Opticoat.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
glad you found something you like, I'm still experimenting, good luck with it man....
going to get some wheels this time?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM

BMW 525i
Beautiful car!

http://procedetuning.com/BMW/n55/n55.html

Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM
MCF

E350
How's the head room for a 6'4" driver (though I have never really had an issue with the E headroom)?

How is the blind spot on driver side mirror with the seat back far enough for a 6'4" driver (very small one on E drives me crazy)?

How is the comfort of the seats (especially width and lumbar support - lack of both on E bothers me)?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Hype, thanks man, and it seems you've got quite a sample size to fulfill your automotive soul searching quest. No wheels, love these M ones and they're even 19's! And they ride insanely smooth! Who'da thought.

dirtye: Thanks man! And UH OH! I don't know if I should click that! This N55 with the SAT and 8 Speed is ridiculously torquey to me, snappiest tranny and throttle response in Sport/Sport+ Mode and just instantaneous, smooth power. Very easy to get the tail loose in even such a heavy car. I can only imagine with a Tune!

MCF: Headroom is great, I find it a bit better than the E which just felt a little "off" for my proportion, hence my always complaining about that aspect. The 5's seats and overall position is more "leaned back" and I find that works for me, not to mention has a pretty cool feeling (kind of like a Coupe-y/Sedan seating position hybrid in comparison, whereas the E's seating position is fully upright). Visibility from the mirror I guess is average.... to be honest since the mirrors are rounder they might actually have a bit less visibility than the W212's, but I personally haven't found any real complaints with either in that area.

Seats on the F10 are just incredible. Some of the best I've sat in, and I don't even have the Multicontour Seats. I can't say enough about how comfortable these seats are. However, apparently some F10 drivers who had E60's with the Multicontour Seats who say the bolsters aren't thick enough (for sporty/twisty driving), however as far as comfort these babies literally suck into your body form and are both taught and cushy.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

And because I want to milk this detail for all it's worth:

Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 PM

2012 E350 4 Matic
Nice Rice K-A,

My wife and I just purchased our first MB, a new E350, but tried on the MB, BMW and Audi before deciding. She fell in love with the MB, so that is what is now sitting in our driveway.
Glad you are happy with the Bimmer, and don't let others get you down! Until otherwise noted, in this country, we all get the right to make our own decisions!! I absolutely love our 350, but know that I would have been happy with the 535 as well. But... it is my wife who is truly happy as she is the one with the keys : )
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MCMAC
Nice Rice K-A,

My wife and I just purchased our first MB, a new E350, but tried on the MB, BMW and Audi before deciding. She fell in love with the MB, so that is what is now sitting in our driveway.
Glad you are happy with the Bimmer, and don't let others get you down! Until otherwise noted, in this country, we all get the right to make our own decisions!! I absolutely love our 350, but know that I would have been happy with the 535 as well. But... it is my wife who is truly happy as she is the one with the keys : )
Thank you, sir! But don't call my car a rice-rocket! (J/K I know what you meant ).

Very cool, I'm sure you both are very happy! I was on cloud 9 when I got my W212(s) and it lasted a long time! Could have lasted even longer but I wanted to transition my car during a transitional time in my life therefore my eyes started wondering, pondering, and all that stuff.

And you are very right! I was telling my friend who's having a bit of a tough time, sometimes buying something frivolous like a new Luxury Car (when your "old" one is just fine) in a weird way empowers you in this sense that you know you control your life.... that only YOU can break or make yourself.

When I got my E and reviewed the F10, I think I said something like along the lines of being ultimately happy with my E but "both being so good I could have flipped a coin, not even known which car had landed, signed the papers, walked outside and been thrilled to see either one out there waiting for me". Holds damn true.

Enjoy your E!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 AM

E-class
wow, K-A's F10 looks pretty badazz. me likey a lot!

i totally agree with the BMW jet black paint comment. i had a E36 328 in jet black for 9 years, and on the day i sold it when the new owner drove it off my driveway, the paint still looked good.

K-A, your F10 has the M package? the only thing i don't like about the F10 is the round tail pipes. even M5's round quad tail pipes don't look good. i remember seeing that's being changed for 2014 on some spy photos. anyone can confirm that?

enjoy this black beauty, K-A!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Officially farewell W212, Hello F10 (new pics)....