E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Officially farewell W212, Hello F10 (new pics)....

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Nola
I almost ordered an F10 this year for a company car... but with some stupid CO2 fleet restrictions I could only get a 520d auto with standard wheels, and when I drove it it simply felt too big and tame, not nearly dynamic enough, compared to the E90 I was coming from. What I did love was the active cruise control in the tester I used... incredible in the land of astronomical fines for 5 over.

I ended up going for an Audi A5 Sportback Quattro with all the goodies
Ah, so you're not in a 3er anymore already?! That was quick! (or has time just passed)

I agree, the F10 needs to be optioned up in certain ways if you want it to have an even remotely connected and sporty (Let's just say "BMW") feel. In standard trim she's a truly cushy comfort machine. I really dig this balance on the setup my version has, especially for someone like me who wanted to keep the M-B luxury quota on their, but wanted to dabble in some more dynamically driving elements.

The A5 is sweet! I love seeing those when I'm in Europe. IMO it's the nicest Audi out, don't know why we don't get it in the States. I think it actually looks better than the A7 as it doesn't suffer from some of that cars straight up awkwardness.

Audi is really coming up. I never was a big fan of the cars, especially considering my first car was a hand-me-down decade old '87 5000S in bright gold, but they're really starting to creep up more and more on my radar.

Originally Posted by sweet jones
Congrats! love the new F10.
Thank you!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
Hey hey you know mine is on order as well another 6 weeks...was so hard to leave MB for BMW (always felt better to say I own a Mercedes than a BMW) but I got bored of the E and did not feel like getting another E which would be the 3rd in a row...shame MB isn't making the car look better its getting kinda chopped up with their design, I hope they improve in the future.

That being said I always thought BMW's were butt fugly and the *** on the 5 series wanted to make me vomit, just a sloppy design I only liked the e46 m3 of years ago but all others were just silly looking. I was impressed what they did with the new f10 5 series and needed a change.

That being said I am getting a car that has an MSRP of $11,000 more than my e-350 and the payments are the same and offers so much more its actually a shame on MB's part to not offer as much for the price.

I am sure I will be back to MB and hoping in a few years the CLS550 will finally look perfect as that is the car I always wanted but it still needs better design in my opinion.

PS..yup I was the one who told you to park in the shade..as I have with the 8 other black cars I have had lol
Old 01-17-2013, 09:01 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by DieselNY
Hey hey you know mine is on order as well another 6 weeks...was so hard to leave MB for BMW (always felt better to say I own a Mercedes than a BMW) but I got bored of the E and did not feel like getting another E which would be the 3rd in a row...shame MB isn't making the car look better its getting kinda chopped up with their design, I hope they improve in the future.

That being said I always thought BMW's were butt fugly and the *** on the 5 series wanted to make me vomit, just a sloppy design I only liked the e46 m3 of years ago but all others were just silly looking. I was impressed what they did with the new f10 5 series and needed a change.

That being said I am getting a car that has an MSRP of $11,000 more than my e-350 and the payments are the same and offers so much more its actually a shame on MB's part to not offer as much for the price.

I am sure I will be back to MB and hoping in a few years the CLS550 will finally look perfect as that is the car I always wanted but it still needs better design in my opinion.

PS..yup I was the one who told you to park in the shade..as I have with the 8 other black cars I have had lol
I agree with about all that and nice to see you on this side of the tracks as well, bud!

Yeah, you got hit with the 2010 Lease rates of the E, just like I did when I got mine. Simply trading my 2010 for a higher MSRP 2011 dropped my payments down pretty nicely which was just so odd to me. If you really want a shocker see what your same 2010 MSRP car is going for in Lease rates today, it's nuts. The 535i M Sport still Leases significantly higher than a P1 E-Class (as the much higher MSRP would imply), but even just a year ago when I was looking into 535i M Sports, I was getting quotes for like $800 a month with like $4-$5K down. Crazy how much both brands incentivize their cars seemingly now more than ever, making their MSRP laughing stock jokes.

And you definitely got through to me about that "shade" comment. I will be heeding that advice.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
i think i'ts okay to see some posts on F10 here in the W212 forum.
after all, the two car models do compete against each other, and i'm sure some (if not all) people here compare the two (or considered both) models before making their purchase decision.

most mercedes owners have owned BMW(s) before, but not most BMW owners have owned mercedes before (my observation, not a scientific fact). i think we're all mature enough to be open to discussions on this, as long as the forum is not inundated with BMW posts, which i don't think it has.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 AM

2011 E350, 2004 911
Originally Posted by leapingpoint
after all, the two car models do compete against each other, and i'm sure some (if not all) people here compare the two (or considered both) models before making their purchase decision.

most mercedes owners have owned BMW(s) before, but not most BMW owners have owned mercedes before (my observation, not a scientific fact). i think we're all mature enough to be open to discussions on this, as long as the forum is not inundated with BMW posts, which i don't think it has.
I've owned multiple of both. This is a forum on cars. IMHO, it's perfectly acceptable to discuss and compare others. That is the fun in the discussion. Not the whining about cup holders.
I definitely don't appreciate the "This is MB turf only" attitude and the internet Rambos.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by leapingpoint

Originally Posted by jvc300
I've owned multiple of both. This is a forum on cars. IMHO, it's perfectly acceptable to discuss and compare others. That is the fun in the discussion. Not the whining about cup holders.
I definitely don't appreciate the "This is MB turf only" attitude and the internet Rambos.
Well said and thanks fella's.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM

2014 E-350W4
Great looking BMW, good luck with it, and wish you many miles of safe and worry free driving.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Firestopper0383
Great looking BMW, good luck with it, and wish you many miles of safe and worry free driving.
Thank you very much!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
This is a perfectly valid farewell thread, like countless other in this forum. I made my own "joining the dark side" thread when I got my E90, and it is a great way to boost the community. If you have something against the OP just stay out of the thread and let others be happy about the OP. And I say that as a moderator.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Nice choice on the black F10. I was choosing between a Sapphire Black F10 2010 550i or the W212 E550 myself.

The W212 had a more comprised ride and felt roomier. Either one would be a great choice, IMHO. The 535i's engine is a nice step up. Congrats and welcome to the Darkside (black car owner, that is).
Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Nola
This is a perfectly valid farewell thread, like countless other in this forum. I made my own "joining the dark side" thread when I got my E90, and it is a great way to boost the community. If you have something against the OP just stay out of the thread and let others be happy about the OP. And I say that as a moderator.
Thank you and very much agreed.

Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Nice choice on the black F10. I was choosing between a Sapphire Black F10 2010 550i or the W212 E550 myself.

The W212 had a more comprised ride and felt roomier. Either one would be a great choice, IMHO. The 535i's engine is a nice step up. Congrats and welcome to the Darkside (black car owner, that is).
Thanks and your car is looking SICK! Hope you've been able to maintain those pesky swirls we in the Darkside-Club have come to know and respect in battle.

Ah, nice, I assume that was an E60 5er, which are very true-blood drivers-cars, so the W212 must have felt so much more comfortable. Lots of BMW enthusiasts are split, in that some appreciate the ultra comfort the F10 injected into the 5-Series bloodline, and there are many vocal supporters of the true-BMW-drivers-car aspect, and resent the F10's sort of "invading on Mercedes' turf" aspect. To each their own I guess, but I definitely needed the extra luxury, being a Benz-guy beforehand.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by K-A
Lots of BMW enthusiasts are split, in that some appreciate the ultra comfort the F10 injected into the 5-Series bloodline, and there are many vocal supporters of the true-BMW-drivers-car aspect, and resent the F10's sort of "invading on Mercedes' turf" aspect. To each their own I guess, but I definitely needed the extra luxury, being a Benz-guy beforehand.
Just curious, why were you at one time seriously considering the 991?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 220S
Just curious, why were you at one time seriously considering the 991?
I was, and took one for a test drive.

It was during late last year when I was willing to give myself a "bonus" by way of putting a downpayment on Financing one that would give me monthly payments close to what I pay now, and figure that in several years I could have sold it if I wanted and made most if not all of my downpayment back. IMO it would have worked well, but certain things shifted in my life and wanted to keep myself on the grind more-so, therefore I didn't feel like giving myself a "bonus" quite yet. So I slummed it with a loaded F10.

But really, one thing that was tough on me was factoring in what I'd get out of the car considering its price. I'm very tall, so the "fit" wasn't quite there (though interior room is great), and you're paying for such an inherently astute Sports Car, in Base form there were a lot of creature comforts that even my P2 E had that I believe (if I'm not mistaken) it lacked. Already it's frustrating in my F10 because I want to open the car up or take it on some turns, and can't find an area to do so in this congested space, not to mention if I do, the roads are so riddles in potholes and defects and such that it just spoils the party.

I talked to my older Brother about it, who's been a Porsche guy and owner all his life, and he said "the problem with a Porsche for a guy like you, considering what balance you want from a car is, you might feel like you're not getting nearly your money's worth.... I bet if you get a BMW you'll find everything you're looking for and not turn back". That really resonated with me, and I feel it's true with the F10. It really gave me what I was wanting, in a more balanced way than an extreme (i.e like a 991 would have been).

Allll that said, the 991 is my passion project and I think a Porsche 911 is worth its price if for TIMELESSNESS value alone. I know it's the one car I can get and not have to keep wondering how the next one will look, will I like it more, will it make me want to dump my current baby for it, etc.

Put it this way, under $100K, there were two cars that I would have considered: Realistically the F10 was answering my calls, and a bit more "stretch-edly" the 991 was it. Nothing else really met my picky needs so much (that was realistic for me to get at a new enough model year, at least).
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 991 is more of a single purpose car. It's not something that's easy to live with if it's going to be your only car (I lived with my 993 for 6 months once when I was in-between cars; it was difficult at times, I often needed to make other plans...)

The 991, while now having many more (expensive option) amenities than in the past (think 964) is still a driver's car as its main priority. You drive the car instead of the other way around. But I think it's ideal as a companion to another more practical mode of transport. (I know a PCA member with a 991 who drives a Honda Accord as their second car. Nothing wrong with that.)

And yeah, living in LA with the traffic is no place to have a driver's car. You'd be out of town (or at least up in the Malibu mountains) all the time to truly enjoy it.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 220S
The 991 is more of a single purpose car. It's not something that's easy to live with if it's going to be your only car (I lived with my 993 for 6 months once when I was in-between cars; it was difficult at times, I often needed to make other plans...)

The 991, while now having many more (expensive option) amenities than in the past (think 964) is still a driver's car as its main priority. You drive the car instead of the other way around. But I think it's ideal as a companion to another more practical mode of transport. (I know a PCA member with a 991 who drives a Honda Accord as their second car. Nothing wrong with that.)

And yeah, living in LA with the traffic is no place to have a driver's car. You'd be out of town (or at least up in the Malibu mountains) all the time to truly enjoy it.
Nice. Yeah, I knew if I got a 991 I'd have to get something on the side as well (usually I like to have two cars for "fun", but actually *having* to have two could be an issue as at that point it becomes less a choice) which would have just stretched the bill further.

Indeed. I took my F10 on one of these "canyons" or so they call it, and as much fun as this car was to me, the roads were ravaged in defects, I spent more time trying to avoid potholes than anything.

Good thing about the N55 mated to this tranny is that it's mostly torque heavy and geared so well, so if I want to have a little fun I can feel some energy without having to wind it up too far and get to irresponsible speeds. I noticed when driving the (Base) 991, the motor felt awesome (and SOUNDED awesome right behind you, forgot about how cool that was, though as an everyday-car that one would drive a lot I can see it maybe sometimes being annoying-ish?), but I noticed the one area it seemed to "lack" a bit was in the low-end torque dept. It had to kind of wind up before the engine came alive. Kind of opposite from the drivetrain setup on this 5er.

One of these days maybe I can move to a calmer area with more smooth roads, and I can truly enjoy the sportiness. For now it's fun in spurts but I think was a good move on my part for me personally to ensure that not only did I keep but even upped the ante in the Luxury dept with this particular model.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
K-A: I like how far away from the truck you parked your car

I do the same...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Lol. Oh yeah, side spots always, hugging the edges exaggeratedly closely.

You're not a true car enthusiast unless you park like that.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
I just defected to a new Audi S8. BMW has nothing even to compare to this car.
Is BMW going to catch up to E63/CLS63 4matic 2014 and Audi RS6/7 2014?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 AM

2018 GLE63S Coupe , 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2000 TRD PreRunner (heavily modded)
Still stuck with a 6 I see... Well besides a 2jz and the B6304t2 inlines, you can't get a better inline gas engine.
The 550i was closest to the CLS for me. But I couldn't do it. There's too many of them around and it just felt like it didn't fit me, literally. But all that matters is that you dig it. My neighbor got a 750i a few months ago and loves it. Beautiful car.
Nonetheless welcome to the darkside! I've been using Adams polishes and quick detail spray on my black vehicles for years now. My CLS still looks like it just got dipped. Revive polish does wonders for swirls and imperfections. Every vehicle I've had has been black... And the CLS won't be the last. Let me know if you need some pointers. And you better drive the hell out of this one
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Dabigkaluna
Still stuck with a 6 I see... Well besides a 2jz and the B6304t2 inlines, you can't get a better inline gas engine.
The 550i was closest to the CLS for me. But I couldn't do it. There's too many of them around and it just felt like it didn't fit me, literally. But all that matters is that you dig it. My neighbor got a 750i a few months ago and loves it. Beautiful car.
Nonetheless welcome to the darkside! I've been using Adams polishes and quick detail spray on my black vehicles for years now. My CLS still looks like it just got dipped. Revive polish does wonders for swirls and imperfections. Every vehicle I've had has been black... And the CLS won't be the last. Let me know if you need some pointers. And you better drive the hell out of this one
Haha, will do man, and thanks! I noticed yesterday that in direct sunlight, this exceptionally shiny and polished looking black beauty which looks marr-free in every other lighting, had that "buffer haze" look which is noticeable on the lower-middle doors. Pisses me off that what I brought the car IN for is what actually came out looking messed up. The paint itself is swirl-free, the only defect I can see is their buffing action showing that kind of.... "buffer haze" look. I'm thinking of filing a claim through my CC card.... very annoying.

As for the 6, yes but this time I actually got a 6-cylinder I envied! I've been a huge fan of the N54/N55 ever since they came out, and really wanted that I6 BMW experience as it's something I recall so much from my childhood. IMO it's the most unique engine setup you can get at this price point. Beauty is, the thing is just so torquey down low that it feels more like a V8 around town than a classic BMW "wind-it-up" I6. Kind of the best of both worlds, IMO.

And oh yeah, I'm driving it the hell out of it alright! Poor thing isn't getting any break-in time by me. Got sideways (safely and cautiously) a few times already. Yesterday with my Girlfriend in the car.... based on her intensely (over)reaction, I could tell it was the first time she's ever experienced such a sensation.... she'll learn to appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Haha, will do man, and thanks! I noticed yesterday that in direct sunlight, this exceptionally shiny and polished looking black beauty which looks marr-free in every other lighting, had that "buffer haze" look which is noticeable on the lower-middle doors. Pisses me off that what I brought the car IN for is what actually came out looking messed up. The paint itself is swirl-free, the only defect I can see is their buffing action showing that kind of.... "buffer haze" look. I'm thinking of filing a claim through my CC card.... very annoying.
Take it to John Mikhail......
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 PM
MCF

E350
Originally Posted by K-A

As for the 6, yes but this time I actually got a 6-cylinder I envied! I've been a huge fan of the N54/N55 ever since they came out, and really wanted that I6 BMW experience as it's something I recall so much from my childhood. IMO it's the most unique engine setup you can get at this price point. Beauty is, the thing is just so torquey down low that it feels more like a V8 around town than a classic BMW "wind-it-up" I6. Kind of the best of both worlds, IMO.

And oh yeah, I'm driving it the hell out of it alright! Poor thing isn't getting any break-in time by me. Got sideways (safely and cautiously) a few times already. Yesterday with my Girlfriend in the car.... based on her intensely (over)reaction, I could tell it was the first time she's ever experienced such a sensation.... she'll learn to appreciate it.
You will be getting rid of this car soon. I can tell. You can't handle the black paint. I have a black E350 and washed it three times yesterday. Swirl marks and all sorts of fun stuff in the paint in the sun. Accept it or move on if u need spotless perfect car. You old car was white. I drove my white Tahoe through a machine wash today and it looks perfect. White and black like night and day when it comes to washing.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by MCF
You will be getting rid of this car soon. I can tell. You can't handle the black paint. I have a black E350 and washed it three times yesterday. Swirl marks and all sorts of fun stuff in the paint in the sun. Accept it or move on if u need spotless perfect car. You old car was white. I drove my white Tahoe through a machine wash today and it looks perfect. White and black like night and day when it comes to washing.
Lol. I'm realizing that. I actually feel like an idiot now for being so **** about my white paint. I saw my white E in a certain Nevada sunset one time and I was shocked at how drastically swirled that car was. About every inch of it was swirled. Though I was never able to see ANY of them any other time, the car always looked pristine.

You can do whatever you want with white, literally. As long as you keep it waxed up and such to protect it from losing that white luster (i.e protect it from not getting yellow-y), it's a cake walk.

I feel I will be cursing this black until the day I get out of this car. Every time I see it I'm thrilled at the shine and luster, then all of a sudden in bright sunlight....
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by K-A
Lol. I'm realizing that. I actually feel like an idiot now for being so **** about my white paint. I saw my white E in a certain Nevada sunset one time and I was shocked at how drastically swirled that car was. About every inch of it was swirled. Though I was never able to see ANY of them any other time, the car always looked pristine.

You can do whatever you want with white, literally. As long as you keep it waxed up and such to protect it from losing that white luster (i.e protect it from not getting yellow-y), it's a cake walk.

I feel I will be cursing this black until the day I get out of this car. Every time I see it I'm thrilled at the shine and luster, then all of a sudden in bright sunlight....

I'm not a car wash / poilish expert but where do those swirl marks come from?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Arrie
I'm not a car wash / poilish expert but where do those swirl marks come from?
The ones on my car seem to be SOLELY the product of buffing technique.

I.e, they aren't swirls in the sense of an improper wash, more-so holograms that are the result of a buffing motion who's intent was to TAKE OUT actual swirl marks. How's that for irony? Lol.

Question for black guru's: Is it too much of me to ask that my car be hologram free after a buff? I mean, the car itself shines more than any black car I've seen, it's just buffer-holograms from I'd assume improper technique which is ONLY visible under direct and hard sunlight.

When I got the car done, the guy warned me "I can't promise you that you won't see any swirls or holograms in direct sunlight, because in direct sunlight you will always see some markings on black paint, I can only promise to minimize it as much as possible and keep it shiny looking".

Basically meaning "don't expect perfection under direct light on a black car". Is he right? Or was that a good time for me to have left and found someone who can promise perfection (you live and learn).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Officially farewell W212, Hello F10 (new pics)....