Super Bowl Commercial - New CLA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by SirLance99
Why is there no specific forum for the CLA? There should be one place to look at just like the other cars. This isn't a concept anymore, it's real.
because programmers can't just pull code out of their ****???
these things take time, not to mention the car isn't even at the showroom yet

it was just a couple of weeks ago that the C218 got IT'S own forum
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
I spent $60,000 on a M series last summer and that is about middle of the road and fair for what I got. I don't like the idea of Mercedes selling anything under $50K because it cheapens the brand as a whole. Keep up the high quality and innovation and the price to go along with it. A cheap car brings the whole house down. I'm not saying it is not a smart business move or the CLA is not a nice car - all I'm saying is that if Mercedes continues to move in this direction the 3 point star will become meaningless. Just like the Cadillac crest means nothing and is no longer seen as a sign of something special. I see more SRXs on the road than Camry for crying out loud! A year from now I might be saying the same about the CLA. And I agree, there should be a dedicated forum section for the CLA.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350 4Matic Sport
I do not agree that the CLA will hurt the brand. Mercedes already has a few cheaper models that we do not get a chance to experience here in the US. The A & B class are both not what we expect from Mercedes but they are still almost always ranked among best in the segment they are competing in - even with a slightly higher sticker than its competitors. The attractive body, low priced, 4-cyl CLA, based on the A-class, will help Mercedes not only make money, but also meet the average MPG requirements that will be in affect in a few years. The 30K CLA will never have the build and interior quality of a 50K and above car and people in the market for a E,CLS,S...etc will still buy the most car they can afford. The CLA will mostly target VW customers. It will pretty much cost the same as the CC. Both have 4 cyl. 200 HP, FWD....

I can't wait to see it.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM

E350
Originally Posted by tutooo
I do not agree that the CLA will hurt the brand. Mercedes already has a few cheaper models that we do not get a chance to experience here in the US. The A & B class are both not what we expect from Mercedes but they are still almost always ranked among best in the segment they are competing in - even with a slightly higher sticker than its competitors. The attractive body, low priced, 4-cyl CLA, based on the A-class, will help Mercedes not only make money, but also meet the average MPG requirements that will be in affect in a few years. The 30K CLA will never have the build and interior quality of a 50K and above car and people in the market for a E,CLS,S...etc will still buy the most car they can afford. The CLA will mostly target VW customers. It will pretty much cost the same as the CC. Both have 4 cyl. 200 HP, FWD....

I can't wait to see it.
Good points. Good Post.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM

2010 E350 4Matic Sport
Thanks Benz!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by shortspark
- all I'm saying is that if Mercedes continues to move in this direction the 3 point star will become meaningless.
I agree. In the States, I firmly believe that Mercedes has relied on its "Star Power" to keep it moving for the decade and a half of quality disasters and constant missteps (pre-W221).

In Europe, Mercedes is the Domestic brand, E-Classes and C-Classes and even S-Classes are EVERYWHERE as Taxi's. That would never fly in the U.S, considered M-B is priced at a premium and relies on its premium-status to convince many of us to pay said pricing premiums (like most luxury marquees).

In Europe, they have a different sort of passion for M-B, one that is less about impressing thy neighbors and more about experiencing home-grown high quality.

My opinion is that the CLA will be a huge short term benefit to M-B, but will be what initiates what will be a brand that in 20 years from now, doesn't have that instant "cachet factor" when you see the Star emblem anymore. With the amount that these little things will sell, and who knows what spinoffs in other segments to come, it'd be almost numerically impossible.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM

E350
I don't like the idea of Mercedes selling anything under $50K because it cheapens the brand as a whole.
Originally Posted by bigigg
Great move by Benz to sell more cars, but there "cheapening" the brand.
Originally Posted by amaycg
+1, The new CLA is taking away MB's prestige factor as one of the more exclusive, expensive car manufacturers.
Originally Posted by K-A
I feel in the long run it'll devalue the "Luxury Brand'age" of Mercedes-Benz.
Gotta disagree with you on this. Look at BMW - they already sell a 1 series in the US that starts around the same price of the CLA. The 1 series certainly did not devalue the brand.

A brand's image is determined by a lot of things. The CLA will be "premium" priced compared to other similar cars in this size / segment.

As long as the quality / price point is premium I see no problem. To build and maintain image, MB needs to make the CLA the best in class. It's not like Cadillac trying to sell a rebadged GM as a Cimarron in the 80's.

Mercedes has been going after a younger demographic. The C Series, new E styling, free AMG sport packages, etc. all point in this direction. Check out the current age poll thread on this forum - evenly distributed between 20, 30, 40 and 50+ segments.

IMO, MB is behind BMW and Audi on most models at this time. Hopefully they catch up and provide superior products in the future. We will all benefit.

Last edited by BenzE350; 02-07-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14' CLS550
At that price point there's no doubt the CLA will sell very well.. I'll say it again, there will be tons of people,especially younger that want to own a Mercedes. My guess is this car will lease at 350/month. Look at the C class, its EVERYWHERE! In my area/North Jersey all I see is young females in white C class's. Who ever can afford a E,CLS,M,S etc will continue to do so because they understand it is more of a quality car.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
glad to see so many care about the prestige of the brand moreso than the actual driving experience
Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
The brand and driving experience go hand in hand, Oliver. In fact, some might say they are kissing cousins. I've never driven a Chevrolet that gave me quite the same driving experience and satisfaction of a BMW or MB. I have never owned a Bentley but I drove one a few times and the driving experience was nothing like any Ford or Honda I've ever been in as to ride, comfort and accommodations. And so it goes.

In my fifty years of owning and driving cars, I can say almost without exception that the brand of automobile has giving me a good idea as to what the ride will be all about before I ever got behind the wheel. And the more "prestigious" the brand usually means the better the overall experience will be (although I admit there are a couple exceptions).

It is not that I want a prestigious brand simply for the sake of being prestigious. I want it because I am assured, or at least fairly so, of having an excellent driving experience with it. That's what I want and that's what I get with my MB - and I don't want that experience cheapened.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Thing is, people like to mistake the necessity for "prestige" as being overly vein. In many cases it is, but really, it's about aspirational-value. And the aspirational value of attaining a certain brand-factor is what has inspired many people to strive for many things in their lives. Nothing wrong with aspiring. It wasn't too long ago where about any M-B was priced high enough to where it was an "aspirational" product, but when you have FWD Econo models coming out for under $30K, it will naturally deteriorate the aspirational value of the brand. As long as the car is good, then it won't be dire, but it will somewhat, at the very least.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
The CLA will be a good seller for MB. It will not cheapen the brand any more than Freightliner trucks and Sprinter Vans have. It is essentially an Americanized A-Class from Mercedes-Europe. This class has existed for a long time, and, has not cheapened the brand. The US market gets a very small sampling of the VW, MB, BMW, and audi offerings. OMG, what will we do if MB and BMW bring their minivans here? The end must be near....
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM

E350
Originally Posted by ImInPA
The CLA will be a good seller for MB.
Initial reviews are generally very positive:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...t-drive-review

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0_first_drive/

My wife was looking at getting a new Volvo S60 but we may wait to test drive the new little Merc.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 E550
s60 is nice but i think your wife will probably like the cla better. at least i do . i'm sure the dealer will tell you this little thing is flying off the shelf. so expect a long wait list, though .
Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
The brand and driving experience go hand in hand, Oliver. In fact, some might say they are kissing cousins. I've never driven a Chevrolet that gave me quite the same driving experience and satisfaction of a BMW or MB. I have never owned a Bentley but I drove one a few times and the driving experience was nothing like any Ford or Honda I've ever been in as to ride, comfort and accommodations. And so it goes.

In my fifty years of owning and driving cars, I can say almost without exception that the brand of automobile has giving me a good idea as to what the ride will be all about before I ever got behind the wheel. And the more "prestigious" the brand usually means the better the overall experience will be (although I admit there are a couple exceptions).

It is not that I want a prestigious brand simply for the sake of being prestigious. I want it because I am assured, or at least fairly so, of having an excellent driving experience with it. That's what I want and that's what I get with my MB - and I don't want that experience cheapened.
I'm sorry but I don't agree. The brand can speak to you about what the car is going to be about, but the prestige of the brand has nothing to do with how it drives. If you assume that only expensive or prestigious brands will drive great, then you will miss out on a lot of great cars.

Originally Posted by K-A
Thing is, people like to mistake the necessity for "prestige" as being overly vein. In many cases it is, but really, it's about aspirational-value. And the aspirational value of attaining a certain brand-factor is what has inspired many people to strive for many things in their lives. Nothing wrong with aspiring. It wasn't too long ago where about any M-B was priced high enough to where it was an "aspirational" product, but when you have FWD Econo models coming out for under $30K, it will naturally deteriorate the aspirational value of the brand. As long as the car is good, then it won't be dire, but it will somewhat, at the very least.

What? That makes no sense. I don't care if others aspire to owning a mercedes. I didn't buy it for anyone but me to want it. As long as mercedes continues to build high quality luxury cars (the higher end ones), I don't care if they make a $15k vehicle made of plastic. I personally couldn't care less about how prestigious the mercedes brand is.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

To each their own. To me a big part about having a Mercedes was always a slight exclusivity factor from the brand and what that can personally represent to a buyer. The Mercedes I fell in live with didn't have fwd $30K models. Yes the build and quality are the tangible values that will keep us coming back however a big reason for their pricing premium is in fact partially factored by that once intangible exclusivity factor.

Last edited by K-A; 03-10-2013 at 11:20 AM.