E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Lowering springs and Mercedes service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Sedan
Lowering springs and Mercedes service

I really want to lower my car with some lowering springs. I figured since it's only few hundred dollars to lower its worth it even though my car is a lease.

I bought the service plan when I leased the car. Will they still perform the service even though it's lowered? If they see that it's lowered, will they put that on the service record so when I return the car I get charged a fee for tampering with the suspension? Of course I will put the stock springs back

This is the first time leasing a car for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350
For your first question no they won't refuse service due to lowering, the main thing you would need to be concerned about would be if something fails in the suspension system warranty most likely won't cover it as a result of the modification to the suspension system. They look at it like the suspension system was designed as just that.. a system.. all to factory spec everything should work great, the second you start messing with it they'll point to the springs as the most likely cause.

For your second question, I'm not sure how it would affect the lease. Springs do tend to decrease the life of the shocks/strucks so they may ding you for that. I would imagine a lot would have to do with how douchey the dealership wants to be. Couldn't hurt to call and find out.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 AM

2013 E350
I just picked up a 2013 lease also and have been wondering the same thing. I hope you get some responses to help you and myself make a decision. I figure it would be worth it, simply because it's only a few hundred dollars and i've already done a few suspension/coilover installs on my other cars. The biggest things I'm trying to factor is the possibility of putting in the time if I wanted to trade the car back in, or the effect the springs would have on the stock shocks over time. I'm planning on going with H&R
Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM

2010 E350
Depends solely on your service personnel. Mine's lowered and under warranty, I've never had any issues. Look up magnussen moss, it prevents a dealer or manufacturer from not covering warrantable items on the car due to mods. However as stated earlier, if you lower the car the warranty on steering and suspension components is now lost.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM

2013 E350 Sedan
Thanks for the replies guys.

What worries me the most is when I take it in for my first service, the service tech will see that it is lowered and he might put that on my service record. So when I return the car, they'll see that I had messed with the suspension even though I put it back to stock height when I return it.

My lease is a 24 month lease so I'm really not worried about the shocks going back. Technically 27 month lease but I can return it in 24 months as long as I lease another Mercedes.