E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

replacing sway bar link

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212
replacing sway bar link

hi, the right front sway bar link was a bit bent on my car and a garage i don't visit often told me that the front absorbers(a pair) have to be replaced while replacing the sway bar link as they suspect the right front absorber was damaged when the link was bent. and it was suggested to replace a pair when replacing absorbers.

currently the right front wheel makes clunk noise when running over speed bumps or turning in the corner.

my question is, do i have to replace a pair of front aborbers when i want to replace the sway bar link on right hand side? thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by hamilton.nz
hi, the right front sway bar link was a bit bent on my car and a garage i don't visit often told me that the front absorbers(a pair) have to be replaced while replacing the sway bar link as they suspect the right front absorber was damaged when the link was bent. and it was suggested to replace a pair when replacing absorbers.

currently the right front wheel makes clunk noise when running over speed bumps or turning in the corner.

my question is, do i have to replace a pair of front aborbers when i want to replace the sway bar link on right hand side? thanks
check with other Dealers and MBNZ, but I think to be sure, they are correct. Or you can try an just replace the parts you think you need and then get an alignment, if the alignment takes then you are fine, but if it does not then you have to replace more parts.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM

w212
Originally Posted by Nuru
check with other Dealers and MBNZ, but I think to be sure, they are correct. Or you can try an just replace the parts you think you need and then get an alignment, if the alignment takes then you are fine, but if it does not then you have to replace more parts.
Hi thanks for your prompt reply. I was not very confident about their quot as it was bit costly when the absorbers were included
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by hamilton.nz
Hi thanks for your prompt reply. I was not very confident about their quot as it was bit costly when the absorbers were included
I understand, check with other dealers to get a number of opinions.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 AM

w212
Have visited another workshop and the mechanic says he would not both to worry about it for that tiny bit as it just bent very little. It should not affect any balance or performance. The noise must be from other parts.

Confused...
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 AM

w212
I think I may have to wait when it gets worse if it does.