Yellow engine/transmission indicator light came on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
CLU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche
Yellow engine/transmission indicator light came on

Yesterday I detailed my car including the engine. I put folio on the air intake. I used simply green and hosed it off with water. I've done this for years but typically I take the car for a ride. This time I just drove it into the garage when I was done.

Today morning when I started the car it sounded out of rhythm When I put in the reverse the yellow transmission or engine indicator light came on so I just turned it off.

Any advice before I try again tonight?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 842 Likes on 609 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by CLU
Yesterday I detailed my car including the engine. I put folio on the air intake. I used simply green and hosed it off with water. I've done this for years but typically I take the car for a ride. This time I just drove it into the garage when I was done.

Today morning when I started the car it sounded out of rhythm When I put in the reverse the yellow transmission or engine indicator light came on so I just turned it off.

Any advice before I try again tonight?

I don't know but someone else here probably does how the spark plugs are mounted in the engine, i.e. are the spark plugs possibly in a deep recess just like Ford has or at least did have. If they are and you fill the hole with water you will get spark shorting in the ground and rough running.

Fix for this would be to blow every plug hole dry with compressed air or try to run it long enough for it to dry out.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
When I detailed engine bays (have not done so on Mercedes yet and don't know if I ever will), I use a metrovac blower to assist in blowing it dry with little heat prior to driving. Of course, there is a possibility this would create more problems for you if water infiltration is the problem.

With simple green one should be especially careful on aluminium and rinse thoroughly. I used P21S Total Auto Wash, which is excellent cleaner and safe on aluminum.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
What does your Porsche owner's manual say about that light?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
CLU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche
I had to take the Porsche today :-) but that manual didn't help much. When I got home I did just let it idle for a while. That did the trick and everything is working fine..

Thanks for advice and help! Good to know to be careful with simple green and aluminium.