E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E sedan vs coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350
E sedan vs coupe

I'm deciding b/w sedan and a coupe. I had 4 door e350, and though it was a wonderful car. I do like the coupe's design, but am afraid that the ride quality is not at the same level as the sedan, as its built differently. Specifically I'm looking for a plush, composed ride of the sedan. My cousin drove the two door convertible, and said that it was much rougher than the sedan. I got c-class loaner and didn't like it, the ride was too firm and jerky. Should I expect the coupe to ride differently, or its all in my head.
I'm single so don't care whether its 4 or 2 door, I actually prefer the standard grill of the sedan, I like seeing the target logo from inside the car.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 GLC300 white, 2021 Taycan RWD silver
The E coupe is a C chassis so it is a smaller car than the sedan. From what you indicate, you would prefer the sedan. It is also a better value/ less expensive than the E coupe.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by romanmar
I'm deciding b/w sedan and a coupe. I had 4 door e350, and though it was a wonderful car. I do like the coupe's design, but am afraid that the ride quality is not at the same level as the sedan, as its built differently. Specifically I'm looking for a plush, composed ride of the sedan. My cousin drove the two door convertible, and said that it was much rougher than the sedan. I got c-class loaner and didn't like it, the ride was too firm and jerky. Should I expect the coupe to ride differently, or its all in my head.
I'm single so don't care whether its 4 or 2 door, I actually prefer the standard grill of the sedan, I like seeing the target logo from inside the car.
There is no significant difference in the ride quality between the E350 Coupe and Cabriolet. The firmness of the ride is primarily due to the sport tuned suspension option, added to by the 18" wheels option, if the car has them. These options are available in either the coupe or cab. The E550 coupe/cab are heavier and may have slightly different ride qualities, not necessarily for the better.

If you order the car with the stock 17" wheels (assuming the '14 will come that way) and the standard suspension, the car will have a somewhat softer ride.

Having said that, it probably still will not feel like an E sedan, especially the Luxury model which does not have the larger wheels nor sport suspension (again assuming they're so equipped in the '14 models). The larger, heavier sedan, with its longer wheelbase, will undoubtedly have the plusher ride.

My E coupe has the sport suspension and larger wheels. On decent roads, the ride is firm, composed and smooth. On all roads, handling is a delight, inspiring great driver confidence. This is as compared to the CLK I had before it. On very poor surfaces, fa-ged-aboud-it!

But IMO the car just doesn't look right if ordered with ride comfort as the primary criterion, .i.e. with 17" wheels and the slightly higher sitting non-sport suspension.

I drove the car both ways and noted a fairly significant improvement in the ride without the sport suspension and 18" wheels. But in the end, I chose to suffer for the sake of good looks. I'm not sorry - not yet anyway. And as I said, throwing this car around corners and curves is great fun.

Not to mention the amazing response of the same D.I. V6 engine propelling the lighter and smaller coupe vs. the sedan. Not saying the sedan is a slouch though, by any means. And the 550 sedan is a beast!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM

2010 E550, 2007 R350
I test drove both the e550 coupe and e550 sedan. The coupe, as another poster mentioned, is smaller. I felt like I was a lot closer to the salesman in the passenger seat than I was with the sedan. On the other hand the coupe felt a lot faster. When I punched the pedal on both, the coupe was slightly violent where the sedan was just fast.

I ended up going with the sedan because I have kids and they fit in the backset more easily. Both are great cars. Drive both.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM

2013 E350 Sedan
I actually went to the dealer with the coupe in mind. When I got to the dealer I sat inside one and test drove it. It was nice and everything I expected it to be. But it kinda screamed it's for a younger crowd. I just turned 40 and felt that the coupe was for more of a 30 year old crowd. Anyways I still loved it and was about to get it until I test drove the sedan. The sedan felt a lot more roomier and felt good. What really sold me was when I was driving by the dealer's big glass windows, I saw myself. I actually looked a lot better in a sedan then the coupe. So I ended up getting the sedan.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

08 E350
Thanks all, I decided to go with a sedan again.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
If possible, you need to drive the Luxury and Sport versions over several different road services. This is what I did and did not like the Sport version at all due to ride comfort. The Luxury version has a comfort suspension and rides on 17" wheels and therefore rides more comfortably. Also, the Sport versions come with low profile tires which further detract from ride comfort.
Not to mention, I much prefer the Luxury grille and the hood ornament, as well as some other features. The fact the Luxury sits a little higher also helps to clear parking bumpers, sidewalks, etc.
Mine is a 2010, so not sure how the newer ones are set up.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 PM

2008 E550
The E coupe/cab is more of a CLK than an E
Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I test drove a E 550 coupe on Saturday and it is an absolute NO for me. I am not a big dude, I am 5-10" 200lbs but me and the wife had very hard time getting in and out of the rear seats. No matter that the front seats move forward electrically there is still no room to get in an out.

Go for the sedan and the comfort...
Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM

E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by aprevo15
I actually went to the dealer with the coupe in mind. When I got to the dealer I sat inside one and test drove it. It was nice and everything I expected it to be. But it kinda screamed it's for a younger crowd. I just turned 40 and felt that the coupe was for more of a 30 year old crowd. Anyways I still loved it and was about to get it until I test drove the sedan. The sedan felt a lot more roomier and felt good. What really sold me was when I was driving by the dealer's big glass windows, I saw myself. I actually looked a lot better in a sedan then the coupe. So I ended up getting the sedan.
I'm 66 and drive an E Coupe. If it weren't for MB bringing out the coupe I would not own a Benz. Yes, the coupe is for the young at heart. By the way I look great driving my coupe.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:18 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 W212 E550 Grey CPO
I almost bought a coupe.... but I bought the big dog instead.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I just had an E350 Coupe as a loaner. I found the ride to be very unsettled, harsh, and bouncy. I have had C300 Sport Loaners that were not as unsettled. I was disappointed in the ride dynamics of the E350 Coupe, and would readily purchase a C class (on the same chassis) because the suspension is really well sorted out on the C. I really like the look of the facelifted coupe, but, the ride would make it a non-starter for me.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good choice

Originally Posted by pinipig523
I almost bought a coupe.... but I bought the big dog instead.
Assume you are talking about a sedan. If so, you will be much happier in the long run. It's all a personal choice though.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the other hand

Originally Posted by steelgrey
I'm 66 and drive an E Coupe. If it weren't for MB bringing out the coupe I would not own a Benz. Yes, the coupe is for the young at heart. By the way I look great driving my coupe.
If MB did not offer the E Class Luxury Sedan, I wouldn't be in an MB at all.