40K Service (BO) Cost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by El Cid
....One thing to consider is how is the independent saving money?..... But is he skipping services, using cheaper parts, rushing through the job, using poorly trained personnel, ..
Same problems at dealers and I would contend more so. The mechanics get a flat fee/percentage of the work and it's no where near what you pay them. They need to do more cars to make more money. Indies also usually use the same parts supply as the dealers. Getting a position with a good Indy shop is desirable as they generally pay mechanics more for the same job and the pressure to produce is lower (generalization).

....Also, he cannot tap into the system to find latest service updates, bulletins, etc. from MB....
Indies can subscribe to all of the same services and the good ones do. A side advantage to using an Indy is they can go outside the MB box to fix a problem when a dealer is stuck with the 'official' fix.

....How important is maintaining a good relationship with MBUSA and your local dealer(s)?
Not so important if they're taking advantage of you. I get the feeling they treat MB owners like a captive audience. You rarely find bad mechanics at good Indy shops. They're usually hand picked and well trained. My major gripe with dealers is they charge WAY too much and quote excessive parts replacements when they're making educated guesses to cover themselves. Labor at an Indy is usually 1/2 or less of what the dealer charges.

CEB's advice on how to pick a good Indy in post #25 is right on. Ask other MB owners and the good Indy shops are well known.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 GLE 4MATIC
Originally Posted by pdjv
In case you haven't seen it, I've attached a PDF that lists all the tasks for a given service.
Thanks for the list. I have it in my book, but this is convenient to print and take it to (whoever) for reference.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E350 4MATIC, 2013 SL550
Had my car in for B service today. While talking to the service advisor I was offered Prepaid Maintenance for $699, which would cover today's B service and the 40k service. Given the cost of the 40k service it seemed like a good deal, so I took it.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
As a retired franchised new car dealership owner, I can assure you there is a significant difference between the levels of expertise found in the dealership environment and that of the independent. I have no inherent distrust of an independent and in fact used them often for used cars I did not represent. The difference is what you are working on and the technical level of the repair.

The independent tech is not somehow better paid although charging far less. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. The dealership will have far more training on later model vehicles, more diagnostic equipment and experience on these vehicles, far better support from the manufacturer, access to a continuous stream of TSB's and engineering support, and a myriad of other advantages.

While the independent can be an excellent source for straight-forward routine repairs and services, the more technical repairs are better sourced from the dealer. I would personally be far more likely to use an independent for the "A" service than the more complicated 40,000 mile service. If saving a couple of hundred dollars on critical services was going to change my life-style, I would have bought a Toyota.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
See my comments below in bold
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
As a retired franchised new car dealership owner, I can assure you there is a significant difference between the levels of expertise found in the dealership environment and that of the independent. I have no inherent distrust of an independent and in fact used them often for used cars I did not represent. The difference is what you are working on and the technical level of the repair.

Correct. I wouldn't trust the local BMW dealership to rotate my hubcaps but I would trust the local BMW indy to do any non-warranty work.

The independent tech is not somehow better paid although charging far less. Like anything else, you get what you pay for. The dealership will have far more training on later model vehicles, more diagnostic equipment and experience on these vehicles, far better support from the manufacturer, access to a continuous stream of TSB's and engineering support, and a myriad of other advantages.

The indy tech can be much higher paid than the tech at the dealership because more of the hourly costs are going straight to the tech. The tech at the dealership is seeing between $10 and $25 of that $160 I'm paying at the dealership where he might see $30 to $40 of that $80 I'm giving the indy.

While the independent can be an excellent source for straight-forward routine repairs and services, the more technical repairs are better sourced from the dealer. I would personally be far more likely to use an independent for the "A" service than the more complicated 40,000 mile service. If saving a couple of hundred dollars on critical services was going to change my life-style, I would have bought a Toyota.

Depends on the dealership and the indy. The indy I used for my R32 had the appropriate tools (both mechanical and electronic) to properly service the DSG transmission - the only "complicated" part was having the tools.

It really boils down to competency of the tech working on your car, your plumbing or your roof. If they know what they are doing then it doesn't matter who they work for.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
$1,200 seems a bit high for the 40K service. I figured it would be between $400-600. Have you searched the Internet for a 20% coupon? That would save you $240.

In the end, for a major 40K service, I would take it to the dealership, if it were my car.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
$1,200 seems a bit high for the 40K service. I figured it would be between $400-600. Have you searched the Internet for a 20% coupon? That would save you $240.

In the end, for a major 40K service, I would take it to the dealership, if it were my car.
Every DC area dealer quotes between $1100 and $1400 for the 40k. It it outrageous? Of course, but that's what dealers charge.