E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:22 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by maguzma
Why do you have to get invovled? Let your insurance company deal with it. You pay them every month to be your legal reps. I would call them (insurance company) and report that you do not want the car because the dealer ruined it. They will work with thier lawyers and get you into a new car or at lest fix it to original standards. In the interim, have your insurance company provide a rental (charge MBZ). Since 2006 MBZ service has gone donw hill. In 2006 I never paid any of the services (A or B) except brakes and tires and they would bend over backyards to ensure my visit was top notched. Today, they are opposite. I just got my E350 Sport (2012) back from fixing my spoiler, parking lights and oil change (early). They tried to charge me $290 bucks. I got it down to $160. Infinit, BMW, Lexus and Acura treat thier customers like MBZ used to (they come first). I talked with my old Infiniti service rep (they are so nice that I was able to build a good relationship/friendship) today (I just got rid of my 09 M35S) and told him that I miss the customer service they provided and he reported that I will proably be back. My buddy has a Lexus and have had them pick up his car at his house and bring muffins.
say what?

The insurance company doesn't have a dog in this fight. They will tell you to go fly a kite.

Insurance covers physical damage and has nothing to do with "I don't like the car."

I fully agree that the Germans haven't figured out customer service yet.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by pdjv
All the surveys and advertising aside, dealerships are independent businesses. MBUSA's customer support folks will do everything they can when you have a problem with a specific Mercedes-Benz product, but MBUSA's relationship with dealers is such that they are reluctant to step in when customers have a problem with a specific dealer.
And this is one of the many reasons why Tesla in their quest to revolutionize the archaically stuck in the 70's auto industry, are challenging the nations dealer networks to be able to sell cars directly to the consumers themselves.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by CEB
I've made it a policy for years to insist that the SA walks around the car with me and I will point out any defects - however minor.

ALWAYS walk around the car before you get in. Pay particular attention to wheel rims, door dings and bumper corners. The lots are tight and the porters are in a hurry to get cars in and out.

Don't leave your car overnight if you can help it. Once they have to park your car in the back lot is where damage happens.
^^ I do the same exact thing, I walk around with the SA and I will even make comments to him about how clean the ML is and how there isn’t a mark on it. I will also walk around it before picking it up so if there is any damage it is noticed before I drive it away, my wife even does this. I also never let them wash my cars.

Only once in the past with an Infiniti dealer did one of my vehicles get damaged. During routine service they somehow broke one of the fog lights, and of course repaired it free of charge.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
Originally Posted by Cyber GS
^^ I do the same exact thing, I walk around with the SA and I will even make comments to him about how clean the ML is and how there isn’t a mark on it. I will also walk around it before picking it up so if there is any damage it is noticed before I drive it away, my wife even does this. I also never let them wash my cars.

Only once in the past with an Infiniti dealer did one of my vehicles get damaged. During routine service they somehow broke one of the fog lights, and of course repaired it free of charge.
Stuff happens and it is alright as long as they own up to it and fix it.

They know when they crashed your car into a pole or slammed a car door into another car. It's OK to say "a gust of wind caught a car door and put a ding in your car, but we'll fix it >"

What isn't OK is when they try to hide it and hope you'll drive off the lot without noticing it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by K-A
And this is one of the many reasons why Tesla in their quest to revolutionize the archaically stuck in the 70's auto industry, are challenging the nations dealer networks to be able to sell cars directly to the consumers themselves.
And exactly why is it the manufacturer can inherently do it better? They would establish one outlet in major population centers and force others to drive long distances to purchase or service. No competition between independent dealers would certainly raise prices to the consumer.The manufacturer still would need to rely on hired people to function and remove the entrepreneur from the on-site equation.

Tesla is certainly not the first manufacturer to desire this business model. Various manufacturers have owned retail outlets for years, including Mercedes. With rare exception these stores have been abject failures in terms of customer satisfaction and sales results. Musk is barking up the wrong tree here and needs to concentrate on solving the riddle of making the vehicle a practical one that can actually leave town the way most people use a car.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:21 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
And exactly why is it the manufacturer can inherently do it better? They would establish one outlet in major population centers and force others to drive long distances to purchase or service. No competition between independent dealers would certainly raise prices to the consumer.The manufacturer still would need to rely on hired people to function and remove the entrepreneur from the on-site equation.

Tesla is certainly not the first manufacturer to desire this business model. Various manufacturers have owned retail outlets for years, including Mercedes. With rare exception these stores have been abject failures in terms of customer satisfaction and sales results. Musk is barking up the wrong tree here and needs to concentrate on solving the riddle of making the vehicle a practical one that can actually leave town the way most people use a car.
So far, the way Musk is handling Tesla's retail and customer service mimics Apple's style of revolutionizing the entire worlds Retail outlook.

Tesla is very small, so it's hard to say how it would go if they had millions of cars on the road, but so far, Tesla's customer service is superb. Musk just declared a *SELF CHOSEN* recall for a very slight number of cars where they will send a guy to pick the car up from you, give you another Model S to drive around, and fix immediately.

Tesla offers a no-haggling model. Salesman get no commission. You won't have Tesla cars looking like low-brow overpriced products by discounting the hell out of them simply to move them (like what has plagued the W212's and Mercedes/BMW alike as their MSRP's look like jokes these days). The car is worth one price, which will protect and solidify resale value, and not contribute to wild used car prices due to the fact that like the E-Class, you see it getting slashed 20% before the first papers are even signed. I guarantee Tesla's cachet and prestige can accelerate if they keep at this.

I think Tesla's model will allow them to control the customer experience, and considering how well Musk is doing with that right now, I have no doubts Tesla will provide a very rich, classy and catering service, not intent to suck every penny out of you at every given chance. As they grow, they can either penny pinch and lose the initial customer-centric approach, or they can enhance it. I'd assume the latter from Musk. Just like Steve Jobs before him.

At the same time, he knows that he can't trust the dealer network to handle Tesla and get the word out like he can his own company. And it's smart. If you read what he wrote on the Tesla website, he makes a multitude of great points.

I'm a big believer in Tesla and Musk. I think they will revolutionize the auto market like Apple did the technology market, which means it'll revolutionize the Retail aspect and customer service aspect as well.

And as a concluding point: Go to any car dealer and chances are you have a guy who doesn't know or care about the product he sells, gives you cheap lines, is intent to get his commission check and nothing else. I have no issues with this "guy" as this is how he makes his living, but the Dealer network is what is the problem as its culture is for "him" to act like this. I've had some great buying experiences, namely my recent purchase, but it was a very unique and fortunate experience. At a Tesla "Store", the guys are incredibly knowledgable, not the least bit pushy, will chat with you, talk shop, friendly, very controlled and "hand-picked" like. Again, just like Steve Jobs and Apple before him.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Unhappy

While I also am an admirer of Apple and Lusk, the marketing approaches are more dissimilar than similar. Apple sells a commodity in huge numbers worldwide. Their average product price is less than a thousand dollars compared to a very low volume transportation device selling for $70,000 plus.

Factually, the bulk of Apple product is sold through dealers. Walk into any cell phone store or Best Buy and their product is prominently displayed. The Apple Stores account for a very small percentage of product distribution and are more window dressing than sales outlets in the big picture.

Tesla has no owner base of in service product to worry about and their total sales are miniscule in comparison to any mainstream manufacturer. Lusk would not be the first "smart" guy who thought he could eliminate dealers but in the 100 year history of selling cars and trucks, he would be the first to figure out how to do it.

There is a reason that the franchised automobile dealer model has lasted. The uninformed state the reason to be political in nature which is simply not true. The dealer brings investment to build the retail stores, stock the inventory, and train the people. It allows the manufacturer to invest in product research with those saved dollars.

Tesla is riding the wave of public discovery and Government backing to build what is a rich man's toy albeit one that cannot fulfill the mission which most people buy a vehicle for.