E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Civic
Exclamation problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.

Hi All,
We've had our benz for about 12 months now and took it in for the one year service the car has 9800 miles on it. When we purchased it we got a 2 year service plan with the car and a 7 year warranty.

Anyway - while the local MB dealership was changing the oil the interior dash got scratched. And so - the car was taken to a detail shop and the scratch was some what removed by waxing it. (you can still see the scratch in the wood...) When we arrive to pick up the car we notice a large scratch on the front bumper -
We didnt not take the car home -- The local MB dealership now took our car to a body shop and repaired the scratch.

Prior to pick up we are told the car will be detailed and ready to go.

When we arrive to pick up the car -- we meet our Service coordinator.
All of us go to see the car - the exterior is dirty and the interior has A LOT of wax on the inside. A detail guy is called who proceeds to wipe it down.

I told our Service coordinator I was not happy and left with the car.

A few days later - where the wax was on the interior -- i noticed white areas.
This is the wax -- IT WILL NOT COME OUT.

Now - I return to the dealership and meet with the Service director who approves removing and replacing all interior parts which have wax on them.

This turns out to the about 70% of the interior including all of the dash - two front seats, door panels, headliner....the list goes ON and ON. (The parts are on order.)

Now - I believe the car will not be the same as when I bought it new or from when I took the car in for its one year service.

What should I do -- or what can I do ??

Please advise.

Thank you,
Afroz

I've attached some pictures
Attached Thumbnails problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.-photo.jpg   problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.-image-3-.jpeg   problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.-image-2-.jpeg   problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.-image-1-.jpeg   problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.-image.jpeg  

Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550
IMHO I wouldnt worry about it. The parts are installed the same way as factory. I would just pay careful attention to any noise/rattling that did not exist before. It seems like the Dealer is doing everything to fix what happened. I just had ALL the wood trim replaced with zero problems and it looks great. The good thing is you are getting almost a brand new interior!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by stale-bread
IMHO I wouldnt worry about it. The parts are installed the same way as factory. I would just pay careful attention to any noise/rattling that did not exist before. It seems like the Dealer is doing everything to fix what happened. I just had ALL the wood trim replaced with zero problems and it looks great. The good thing is you are getting almost a brand new interior!
Yeah I agree, it will be better than before… As for the dealer, I would ask for a free service or something similar for the long wait and hassle because that is not acceptable.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 PM

2010 E550
+1 Kushp14 on the extra "something." At the very least free all weather mats
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by stale-bread
+1 Kushp14 on the extra "something." At the very least free all weather mats
Like a map update, unless you already have the latest
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
wow, sounds like some incredible BS behavior man, glad the dealer is at least stepping up and doing something about it......
I would initially be concerned with someone going in and replacing a bunch of stuff, but I guess what can you do? besides complain and be upset about it......it does suck a lot and I agree they should try to compensate you in some other way than just trying to fix what their people essentially ruined......and not just things to get you back into their dealership either.......some merchandise or something to soften the blow to your nice Mercedes Benz, good luck with it
Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS550, 2016 HD Roadglide (120ST), 1972 Super Beetle
What a nightmare! I feel for you...I know I would be VERY upset if the same happened to me. Good luck with the whole thing. Hope it all works out well. 8-/
Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Did you ask how does the dash get scratched during a oil change? Sounds weird.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1953 300 Adenauer, 1971 300 SEL 6.3, 1975 600, 1978 450 6.9
This incident really needs to be reported to MB. Not only did the dealership scratch your interior, they dented your car and tried to cover up the scratches with wax.

Clearly, the resolution is to remove all the wooden bits, clean the wax off and replace them with a new matched set. The bodywork needs to be repaired properly

Once everything is put right, the dealer needs to compensate you for diminished value. They can do that by offering you several free services - not just a lousy set of floormats. They need to compensate you with something of value that gets their attention - which is why MB needs to be involved.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:39 PM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by CEB
This incident really needs to be reported to MB. Not only did the dealership scratch your interior, they dented your car and tried to cover up the scratches with wax.

Clearly, the resolution is to remove all the wooden bits, clean the wax off and replace them with a new matched set. The bodywork needs to be repaired properly

Once everything is put right, the dealer needs to compensate you for diminished value. They can do that by offering you several free services - not just a lousy set of floormats. They need to compensate you with something of value that gets their attention - which is why MB needs to be involved.
Are you suggesting to contact MB USA about a technician who used poor judgement with a wax coated rag? I'm just wondering if it was an honest mistake or are you asuming it was deliberate action to hide something? Either way they have everything at their finger tips(pun) to resolve the issue. I honestly dont think their should be any entitlement for diminished value as long as it looks just as good or even better than before. It is an obvious pain in the butt though. And yes, free floor mats may not cover it but it was just a suggestion.

Last edited by stale-bread; 06-13-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 PM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Perhaps you missed the part about a scratch on the front bumper and the dealership's attempt to return the car that way. If they reprinted the bumper then there is dimval and floor mats won't cover that.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 PM

2010 E550
Originally Posted by CEB
Perhaps you missed the part about a scratch on the front bumper and the dealership's attempt to return the car that way. If they reprinted the bumper then there is dimval and floor mats won't cover that.
Good point! I actually did overlook that after reading about the interior issues he experienced. My bad CEB.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 & 2014 E350
Which dealer? I'll be sure not to go there...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Too many german broads
Originally Posted by CEB

I agree, didn't think about it earlier, but it should be reported to mercedes.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Wow, what a nightmare. I always have a paranoia that the service guys won't treat my car with the proper care and I'd get it back with some "damage", whether literal or something that would bother me like smudges, swirls, grease or some type of odd products on the interior, etc. I always go over my car with fine tooth comb after I get it back from anyone.

What city is the dealership in?

I wonder how the hell they scratch an interior and bumper while doing an Oil Change. Obviously some really careless workers.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

A BMW dealer tried to return my car to me with a dinner plate sized scrape on the front bumper. Since I always walk around the car before I drive off, I noticed it and called the advisor over. He first tried to tell me that it was there when I brought the car in until I reminded him that he did a walk around with me and that we should pull the surveillance tapes.

He then said that they would replace the bumper and clearbra. A full 30 days later they were still trying to order the clearbra and finally got it back to me about 45 days later. Although the SA said that the bumper and the clearbra had been replaced, it turned out that they only stripped and replaced the clearbra - better anyway but why did the SA feel the need to lie about what they had done?

It turns out that they had bumped it into one of those cement pillars. Lot damage is very common and the porters (like valets) love to cover up damage they did.

How do you scratch interior trim? Easy. Just put down that screwdriver that you have in your back pocket.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Damn. This all reminds me to be very transparent that I am extremely freakishly OCD **** when it comes to my car and strongly request that everybody handle it with care and will go through it thoroughly when I get it back as a common practice, and also to ALWAYS request a walk-around before they get it to mark any exterior AND interior imperfections if any exist. Oh, and never let them wash it.

Having a black car makes me so paranoid to even let anyone touch my car when I'm not around to observe at least. Giving a black car to a dealership even with making sure they don't watch it will test my mental stability.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CTS-V, 2017 Audi Q7 / Past MB's: 2011 ML350 & 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by afkcsco
Hi All,
We've had our benz for about 12 months now and took it in for the one year service the car has 9800 miles on it. When we purchased it we got a 2 year service plan with the car and a 7 year warranty.

Anyway - while the local MB dealership was changing the oil the interior dash got scratched. And so - the car was taken to a detail shop and the scratch was some what removed by waxing it. (you can still see the scratch in the wood...) When we arrive to pick up the car we notice a large scratch on the front bumper -
We didnt not take the car home -- The local MB dealership now took our car to a body shop and repaired the scratch.

Prior to pick up we are told the car will be detailed and ready to go.

When we arrive to pick up the car -- we meet our Service coordinator.
All of us go to see the car - the exterior is dirty and the interior has A LOT of wax on the inside. A detail guy is called who proceeds to wipe it down.

I told our Service coordinator I was not happy and left with the car.

A few days later - where the wax was on the interior -- i noticed white areas.
This is the wax -- IT WILL NOT COME OUT.

Now - I return to the dealership and meet with the Service director who approves removing and replacing all interior parts which have wax on them.

This turns out to the about 70% of the interior including all of the dash - two front seats, door panels, headliner....the list goes ON and ON. (The parts are on order.)

Now - I believe the car will not be the same as when I bought it new or from when I took the car in for its one year service.

What should I do -- or what can I do ??

Please advise.

Thank you,
Afroz

I've attached some pictures
Afroz,

FYI- I responded to your PM... Good Luck.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
CEB
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by K-A
Damn. This all reminds me to be very transparent that I am extremely freakishly OCD **** when it comes to my car and strongly request that everybody handle it with care and will go through it thoroughly when I get it back as a common practice, and also to ALWAYS request a walk-around before they get it to mark any exterior AND interior imperfections if any exist. Oh, and never let them wash it.

Having a black car makes me so paranoid to even let anyone touch my car when I'm not around to observe at least. Giving a black car to a dealership even with making sure they don't watch it will test my mental stability.
I've made it a policy for years to insist that the SA walks around the car with me and I will point out any defects - however minor.

ALWAYS walk around the car before you get in. Pay particular attention to wheel rims, door dings and bumper corners. The lots are tight and the porters are in a hurry to get cars in and out.

Don't leave your car overnight if you can help it. Once they have to park your car in the back lot is where damage happens.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by CEB
I've made it a policy for years to insist that the SA walks around the car with me and I will point out any defects - however minor.

ALWAYS walk around the car before you get in. Pay particular attention to wheel rims, door dings and bumper corners. The lots are tight and the porters are in a hurry to get cars in and out.

Don't leave your car overnight if you can help it. Once they have to park your car in the back lot is where damage happens.
Good advice. I have a habit of doing once-over walk arounds of the car with my Smartphone flashlight beaming just out of regular habit. Once they get a whiff of that I'd hope they'd be extra careful.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 XC60 PHEV, 2023 XC40 BEV
Originally Posted by K-A
Good advice. I have a habit of doing once-over walk arounds of the car with my Smartphone flashlight beaming just out of regular habit. Once they get a whiff of that I'd hope they'd be extra careful.
If you've already got your smartphone out, just record the video of the walk-around and that is even better proof that anything you newly find wasn't there when you dropped it off. Then, if all is OK, just delete the footage to save the space.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury 4Matic
As much as I point out to my local mb dealer that i am meticulous and instruct the dealer service to be careful, they are unable to follow instructions. If you are unhappy with the service make sure you let them know and your survey should reflect that and consider having it serviced by another dealer.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
It's not like the old days

Originally Posted by Kushp14
I agree, didn't think about it earlier, but it should be reported to mercedes.
MBUSA doesn't care to get involved. They will put it back on the dealer to fix the problem. The MBUSA customer care folks won't even give you their last name....

Unless you have a caring dealer who understands service as well as sales you will be put on the s**t list in the dealer/MB database.

Therefore, don't sign any service orders when you go to pay your bill.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 AM

2014 Sport White on black
Why do you have to get invovled? Let your insurance company deal with it. You pay them every month to be your legal reps. I would call them (insurance company) and report that you do not want the car because the dealer ruined it. They will work with thier lawyers and get you into a new car or at lest fix it to original standards. In the interim, have your insurance company provide a rental (charge MBZ). Since 2006 MBZ service has gone donw hill. In 2006 I never paid any of the services (A or B) except brakes and tires and they would bend over backyards to ensure my visit was top notched. Today, they are opposite. I just got my E350 Sport (2012) back from fixing my spoiler, parking lights and oil change (early). They tried to charge me $290 bucks. I got it down to $160. Infinit, BMW, Lexus and Acura treat thier customers like MBZ used to (they come first). I talked with my old Infiniti service rep (they are so nice that I was able to build a good relationship/friendship) today (I just got rid of my 09 M35S) and told him that I miss the customer service they provided and he reported that I will proably be back. My buddy has a Lexus and have had them pick up his car at his house and bring muffins.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:23 AM

2011 E550, 2008 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by grane
MBUSA doesn't care to get involved. They will put it back on the dealer to fix the problem. The MBUSA customer care folks won't even give you their last name....(snip)
All the surveys and advertising aside, dealerships are independent businesses. MBUSA's customer support folks will do everything they can when you have a problem with a specific Mercedes-Benz product, but MBUSA's relationship with dealers is such that they are reluctant to step in when customers have a problem with a specific dealer.

Last edited by pdjv; 06-15-2013 at 09:26 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: problem with 2012 E350 dealership/service.